Log rlnv 2017 (FR)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5570

Re: Log rlnv 2017 (FR)

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 am

Day 10 and still running strong. I've been doing workbook study from 60 to 90 minutes per day. Only one day fewer than 60 minutes during that time. It's good progress for a slacker like me towards a good study habit. Given my goal for this year, I'll need to keep that rate of study all year.

I just finished my first, and possibly last book by Amélie Nothomb - Cosmétique de l'ennemi. I found myself wanting to stop reading it at least three times. I kept reading since it's a short 19,199 words. I found it claustrophobic and fatiguing. The entire book is a conversation between two characters. I just wanted to run away from it and get some air. In my personal log, I rated it 6 out of 10 for being somewhat original. I think its time for some Molière or something like that for a bit a change.

I purchased Antidote with French and English modules. I ran out of products to purchase from Le Robert, so I had to quench my thirst for expensive software somehow. I really like it. It is definitely on par with Le Robert Correcteur in many ways. Both programs really shine and I'd recommend either of them.
4 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 am

Day 25 completed.

Since I've started focusing on book study these last weeks, I've come to re-enforce my understanding of the relationship between focus and outcome. It's no surprise to me that my input skills are far greater than output skills. It's what I've been spending massive amounts of time on in the past couple of years, and it has produced the expected outcome. I can read at an independent level, and aural comprehension is good enough that I feel the time spent has produced a respectable result.

What has taken me by surprise these last few weeks is that, my desire to hit the books is stronger than it's been in a long time. That's a change from my past attitude of just wanting to slack off and enjoy a good book or show. I've been poor at predicting future French activity plans in the past, so I'll do my best to refrain from doing so now. Nevertheless, I feel like if this new study routine of mine sticks, I'll be substantially reducing my reading time for a good period of time until I get the grammar and writing to the level were I want it - high. But at the same time, I would like to increase hours watching shows. The value is too enormous to slack off on that aspect of French.

I have decided to stop recording time on the SC. My focus has changed, and it's no longer a priority. I'll still keep my personal reading log, and I'll know roughly how many hours I'm watching French shows based on the seasons I go through.

---
Tout est négociable quand on tient les cordons de la bourse. - Citation quelqu'un.
2 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 am

A couple Vicky Leandros videos:

0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Tue May 02, 2017 2:52 am

Since my last update I have watched 2 episodes of Angel, 11 episodes of Buffy, 2 episodes of Les petites meurtres, and 7 episodes of Stargate Atlantis. Here are a few observations.

My comprehension of Angel is very good, but mid way through the 3rd season I'm starting to get bored with it and realized it was time to move on.

I went back and watched the remaining 11 episodes of Buffy season 7 that I skipped when Angel showed up at my door. So now I've watched the entire series, half of which I've watched twice. When I ordered the box set, I was not really sure I'd enjoy it. I made the purchase due to the series having transcripts available. I ended up really liking the show, and if there were another 3 seasons available, I'd watch them without a doubt. It's the kind of show that gets better every season. The transcripts ended up being mostly accurate by far, although a few were horrible. They were very helpful in the beginning. At first I'd watch a show once with transcripts and then again without. After awhile, I watched first without transcripts, and then with. Around the end of season 4 I stopped using the transcripts altogether. By then I started feeling like they were no longer needed. I think my listening comprehension actually started improving faster when I stopped using them. Maybe it was the freedom to just watch. Now going back to watch the final 11 episodes, I was really amazed how well I understood them. Even better than Angel, and Angel was getting pretty easy for the most part.

In total, I've watched roughly a dozen episodes of Les petites meurtres. These are native French shows with rather easy dialog compared to some of the difficult French shows like Engrenages or Braquo. I think they are on par or maybe just a touch more difficult than Buffy or Angel. It's hard to say really. I miss some dialog at times, but overall I have a high comprehension level watching these. I'm glad I found them as they are a good transition from dubbed American shows and they are entertaining.

It feels like I've taken a step back with Stargate Atlantis. Certainly I understand enough to enjoy the shows, but my comprehension is behind Buffy, Angel, or even Les Petite meurtres. Time will tell, but I think I'll get my level up to par with the other series after a couple of seasons.
1 x

Fortheo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Tue May 02, 2017 4:42 am

rlnv wrote:Here is the Dialang listening test. I'm satisfied with this result overall. I'm sure if the test included either Buffy or Angel audio, I'd be much higher. :lol:

Listening:

It's an accomplishment to even take a test like that! I've been putting it off because I don't want my low confidence to become non existent confidence :lol:
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Tue May 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Fortheo wrote:It's an accomplishment to even take a test like that! I've been putting it off because I don't want my low confidence to become non existent confidence :lol:

It can be humbling to subject oneself to being measured, for sure. I know I certainly did not want to see anything in the A range given the amount of time I’ve spent. If that would have occurred, it would have been a bit of a knock to the old French-learning-self-esteem of mine. Sometimes taking a hit does provide value though, however painful, even if not immediately apparent. Sometimes subjecting oneself to a test can also produce a pleasant surprise.

I was a bit disappointed with the rating of B1 I received on the listening test. I accept that it was fair, not geared towards my strengths, rather towards the CEFR B1 just like it should be. I take from it that, I need to broaden my listening material so I become more well rounded. I think at some point not too far down the road I should spend more time with podcasts, news, political discussion, etc. A broader range of the language. I have the Vampire slaying down pretty good, I need to expand.

The B2 on reading was my own fault. I realized after the test was complete that a couple of the questions that I had gotten wrong were due to hurrying. Again the test was fair. I scored based on my responses. I take pride in my French reading ability, but over estimated my ability to respond with the correct answers in a test situation, and forgot the golden rule of double checking all test answers. Sometimes it seems like I never learn.
Last edited by rlnv on Wed May 03, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

DaveBee
Green Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).

Postby DaveBee » Tue May 02, 2017 10:16 pm

rlnv wrote:I just finished my first, and possibly last book by Amélie Nothomb - Cosmétique de l'ennemi. I found myself wanting to stop reading it at least three times. I kept reading since it's a short 19,199 words. I found it claustrophobic and fatiguing. The entire book is a conversation between two characters. I just wanted to run away from it and get some air. In my personal log, I rated it 6 out of 10 for being somewhat original. I think its time for some Molière or something like that for a bit a change.
I had a similar experience with the english language novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I like the author's style, so I stuck with it, but it was so SAD. Ugh.
0 x
FR films: 49 / 100, FR books: 21 / 100

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 pm

DaveBee wrote:I had a similar experience with the english language novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I like the author's style, so I stuck with it, but it was so SAD. Ugh.

Hey, that actually looks pretty good! I might see if there a French translation available. So many books to read, so little time.
0 x

DaveBee
Green Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).

Postby DaveBee » Wed May 03, 2017 6:51 am

rlnv wrote:
DaveBee wrote:I had a similar experience with the english language novella The Slow Regard of Silent Things. I like the author's style, so I stuck with it, but it was so SAD. Ugh.

Hey, that actually looks pretty good! I might see if there a French translation available. So many books to read, so little time.
Bragelonne seem to publish french language editions of his books. They're not cheap though!
0 x
FR films: 49 / 100, FR books: 21 / 100

Return to “Language logs”