Nooj's language journey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
nooj
Orange Belt
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Languages: english (n)
x 349

Nooj's language journey

Postby nooj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Today in the morning I tried out the four words of Tachelhit that I knew to order some msmim and a tea and got a smile from the waiter. But then I switched back to Arabic. I know there is a Peace Corps book on Tachelhit. And I will use that, but I just don't have much time...I really wish I had a time turner like the one Hermione has.

Also I went to the Institut français, but I just missed out on the time for signing up to the courses. I hesitantly had a conversation with the French people there and they told me about one to one classes, but they're too expensive. So I might just way a few more months until the group courses start again, although I don't even know if it will be possible to fit it in with my work schedule.

Meanwhile I have to find some French speakers to talk to in order to practice.

The day before I went to the Instituto Cervantes in order to sign up to some conversation classes, but none of the classes fit my work schedule, except for beginning classes and they wanted to put me in advanced or c1 classes. So I'll just have to make do on my own and keep learning on my own. I need to talk more Spanish to people. I already harass any Spanish speaking tourists I find in order to speak Spanish with them. Oh, a Spanish restaurant has just moved in downstairs. The owner is from Sevilla. Walking back from work very late at night, they invited me in to eat dinner that they prepared, casero style, the owner and his friends from the Canary Islands, Cordoba and Colombia. They were much older than me, but so nice, and it was such a pleasure hearing and speaking Spanish. I know it'll be my favourite place to hang out.
6 x
अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

nooj
Orange Belt
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Languages: english (n)
x 349

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby nooj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:35 am

Here are two resources for Tachelhit that I have found.

http://www.freemorocco.com/tamkardit-li ... helhit.pdf

This is in French. That's not a problem for me. I've been reading it this morning.

And the Peace Corps textbook.

https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace ... ge_Lessons

I have yet to find a Spanish textbook for Tachelhit, which I guess isn't so surprising given the geography involved (Spanish is spoken in the north and in the far south of the country, not Tachelhit country).

In two days I am going up to Tanger and I will have more opportunity to practice Arabic and Spanish. I look forward to hearing the Tanger accent of Arabic, I haven't heard much Arabic from the north.

I'm going to be taking an overnight train...I didn't get First Class, probably foolishly, but will be sitting next to my Moroccan friend. I doubt we'll be getting much sleep in the upright chairs, so I'll bring my laptop and we can watch movies together, and she can teach me some more Arabic!
1 x
अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

nooj
Orange Belt
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Languages: english (n)
x 349

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby nooj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:50 am

Today I am working my way through a music playlist.

There is a full selection of 70s rock bands. I never had an idea that there were so many interesting Argentinian rock bands. Cai for example:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1J8qqFiSG4&list=PLULL2paYp9HNUlp3OWkwSAoD6aAsgBaUt&index=2[/youtube]


There is a good representation of rock from Spain as well, such as those esteemed bands that made up rock andaluz.

Medina Azahara, Alameda and the legendary Triana.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/WG4ihqKoKDg[/youtube]
0 x
अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

nooj
Orange Belt
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm
Languages: english (n)
x 349

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby nooj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:38 pm

A language is a whole world. It makes me scared or sad sometimes, just how grand of an adventure it is to actually learn a language. Especially when you just start out. Every single day I learn something new about a language that I feel I have a 'grasp' on, as tenuous as that grasp is, and then I get the carpet just ripped out from under me, and I'm left with the knowledge that I am in a little dinghy in the middle of vast, vast sea. ¡Cuantas metáforas!

But also it makes me profoundly happy and giddy...a never ending journey, of personal challenge and discovery, of endless relationship building and encounter.

In Morocco, when a baby is born, traditionally the midwife, but now often an elderly person (because in urban areas people deliver in hospitals) whispers into the baby’s ear the call to prayer…

God is great, God is great, I testify that there is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, go to prayer, go to salvation, the time for prayer has come.

And then he or she also whispers into that baby’s ear,

death exists (rah kayna lmut)…

life and punishment exists…(kayna l7ayat, w kayn l 3adab)

so effectively, the world is full of sorrow and joy…welcome!
3 x
अपारे काव्य-संसारे कविरेव प्रजापति

moo
x 157

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby moo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:16 pm

nooj wrote:In Morocco, when a baby is born, traditionally the midwife, but now often an elderly person (because in urban areas people deliver in hospitals) whispers into the baby’s ear the call to prayer…

God is great, God is great, I testify that there is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, go to prayer, go to salvation, the time for prayer has come.

And then he or she also whispers into that baby’s ear,

death exists (rah kayna lmut)…

life and punishment exists…(kayna l7ayat, w kayn l 3adab)

so effectively, the world is full of sorrow and joy…welcome!


I don't really see what this has to do with learning a language but it's your log I guess...
0 x

User avatar
asterion
Yellow Belt
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:57 pm
Languages: English( Advanced), Spanish(Intermediate),French(Intermediate), Russian( Beginner), Greek( Beginner)
x 67

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby asterion » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:01 pm

moo wrote:
nooj wrote:In Morocco, when a baby is born, traditionally the midwife, but now often an elderly person (because in urban areas people deliver in hospitals) whispers into the baby’s ear the call to prayer…

God is great, God is great, I testify that there is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, go to prayer, go to salvation, the time for prayer has come.

And then he or she also whispers into that baby’s ear,

death exists (rah kayna lmut)…

life and punishment exists…(kayna l7ayat, w kayn l 3adab)

so effectively, the world is full of sorrow and joy…welcome!


I don't really see what this has to do with learning a language but it's your log I guess...


Moo, language learning log does not have to deal exclusively with language( Iversen' s log is the best example). In this case, this piece of information about Morocco was used as a metaphor for the ups and downs both in life and in language learning. Personally, I find it to be an interesting cultural information.
Last edited by asterion on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

moo
x 157

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby moo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 pm

asterion wrote:
nooj wrote:

God is great, God is great, I testify that there is no god but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God, go to prayer, go to salvation, the time for prayer has come.

And then he or she also whispers into that baby’s ear,

death exists (rah kayna lmut)…

life and punishment exists…(kayna l7ayat, w kayn l 3adab)





In this case, this piece of information about Morocco was used as a metaphor about ups and downs both in life and in language learning. Personally, I find it to be an interesting cultural information.


If you think that this is a metaphor for "the ups and downs" we face in life and language learning then that's what you get out of it and that's fine... That's not personally what I see when I read it. ;) But people can interpret things any way they like. If we all saw things the same way , the world would be a boring place...
0 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Posts: 193
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 3:07 pm
Languages: English
x 226

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 pm

moo wrote:
asterion wrote:
nooj wrote:


If you think that this is a metaphor for "the ups and downs" we face in life and language learning then that's what you get out of it and that's fine... That's not personally what I see when I read it. ;) But people can interpret things any way they like. If we all saw things the same way , the world would be a boring place...


You're alright moo, but you need to stop assuming things, and again, please try to stay away from confrontations.
You are absolutely right, the thread belongs to nooj and s/he can write whatever s/he wants to.
0 x

moo
x 157

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby moo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:
moo wrote:


If you think that this is a metaphor for "the ups and downs" we face in life and language learning then that's what you get out of it and that's fine... That's not personally what I see when I read it. ;) But people can interpret things any way they like. If we all saw things the same way , the world would be a boring place...


You're alright moo, but you need to stop assuming things, and again, please try to stay away from confrontations.
.


??
0 x

User avatar
Xmmm
Green Belt
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 am
Location: США
Languages: ru it tr
x 958

Re: Nooj's language journey

Postby Xmmm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi Nooj,

Any chance you could expand on why you want to learn Tachelhit? These "exotic language" (not FIGS, not CJK) stories tend to be interesting. Sorry if I missed it on another thread, but seems like it belongs here on your log. Thanks!
4 x
RU 1300+ : 50 / 100 IT 500+ : 0 / 100 TR 0+ : 5 / 100

OCh-RU-W : 999 / 50000 OCh-IT-W : 612 / 50000 OCh-RU-S : 195 / 3000 OCh-IT-S : 250 / 3000


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hedgehog.chess, iguanamon, Jim and 1 guest