Mista does a bit of everything in 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Mista does a bit of everything in 2017

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:45 am

I've been thinking about starting this log since Christmas, but I didn't get a chance to register for my new courses at the University until yesterday, and those are quite important for what I'll be doing this year - at least the first half of it. Since I decided to go back to Uni too late to actually enroll in a program, I'm stuck with picking from the leftovers when registering for courses.

My original hopes and plans were:

- doing one or more courses in Norwegian and/or Norwegian as a Foreign Language (for teachers): this is not going to happen, those courses are too popular. The only available course was the one I did last term. Highest on my wish list was a course on Norwegian grammar from a contrastive point of view, comparing Norwegian grammar with some relevant immigrant languages like Turkish and Vietnamese. This was in fact part of the reason I did Turkish for the 6WC last time, and I was planning to do Vietnamese for the next one. I'm still planning to take these courses, but I have to postpone it until the fall (meanwhile, I'll get the chance to apply for a program). When I do get around to studying Norwegian, I will have to relearn how to write Nynorsk, and get used to reading Swedish.

- continue French with the three available courses at my level. I managed to get a spot at two of these: Grammar 2 and Literature 1. The one I missed out on was History and Culture 1. The Literature course has an oral exam, so one of my big goals for this spring is to start speaking. A lot!

- The introductory Russian course was full last fall, and most Russian courses are only open to students who have taken the previous courses, but there is a literature course that doesn't have that requirement, and I managed to registered for it. We will be reading Chekov's play "Three Sisters" and some poetry and short stories, in Russian of course.

So, French and Russian will be my main focus at least until May.

In French, as mentioned, I need to start speaking. I've registered for the output challenge, and I have to projects I want to start out with: 1) read something aloud every day, to begin with from my graded readers, and later from the texts I'm reading for the literature class (I want it to be mainly familiar vocabulary) 2) writing a little bit daily, mainly about what I have been reading for class (this will prepare me both for speaking in class and eventually for the exam).

In Russian, apart from reading the curriculum, I want to get through as soon as possible the textbook used in the introductory course. This book constitutes the background most of the other students will have, so when I'm through it, I know I am at the level I should be for the course. Hopefully, I'll find the time to do, or at least start on the next course book as well, which is what most of the other students will be using this term in their other courses.

My parents invited me (and my brother) for a trip to Lisbon and Madeira in the middle of February, for a week. Since there is no urgency to do Vietnamese now, I'll probably do Portuguese instead for the next 6WC and postpone Vietnamese until later. I already started a little bit on Portuguese - just before Christmas, I bought a CD course with some vocabulary and sentences aimed at tourists, which I am in this case, and copied it over to my phone, only to find out that the 3rd and last CD didn't work. I still started using it over Christmas, and a couple of days ago, I returned to the bookstore to get a replacement for the non-functioning CD, only to find out that the course is out of production, and that I couldn't get a replacement, but I did get a full refund (and I had to return the whole course to get it, of course, but I had copied all the sound files anyway :D ). Anyway, I got it mainly to get used to the sound of Portuguese and practice pronunciation, and for that it works fine, but I'm not really surprised they took it out of production, because it teaches you how to ask for a phone directory and where you can find a phone booth, and as far as I know, you can only find those in a museum nowadays. My next main resource, probably in February when the 6WC starts, will be Mondly, which has a separate course for European Portuguese (which my CD course is too). As usual, I will probably use Duolingo some too, though that one is Brazilian Portuguese only. I also have a grammar book and a couple of workbooks, which just jumped into my arms when I was at the University bookstore buying curriculum books on Friday. Oh, and a book on the History of the Romance Languages, which similarly just jumped into my arms during my last visit to the University bookstore just before Christmas.

Which brings me to my final point in this introductory post: I buy too many books, I can't read them at the speed I'm buying them, and I've been like that all my life (though at least I don't spend money I don't have, so that's a limiting factor, in some periods more than in others). My New Year's resolution this year is to read more books than I buy, I'd like it to be twice as many. I'll keep a post below for keeping track of that. I also need to get rid of some books, and my goal for that is to match the number that I read (they don't have to be the same ones, of course). I have so many books I want to read - not all of them are language books, of course, but many are language related in some sense - like translations from languages I am learning or want to learn, books on the history and culture of the associated countries, etc, as well as actual course books in Irish, Czech, Arabic, Vietnamese and Hittite, and novels in French, German, Russian and Italian, and a book on the Turkish language reform as well as a number of linguistics books, etc, etc.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Re: Mista does a bit of everything in 2017

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:47 am

Books bought

1. Madame de Lafayette La Princesse de Clèves
2. Henriette Levillain commente La Princesse de Clèves
3. Balzac Le Colonel Chabert
4. Aude Déruelle commente Le Colonel Chabert
5. Voltaire Candide
6. Marie-Hélène Dumeste Candide (Profile d'une oeuvre)
7. Chekhov Three Sisters (russian text)
8. Houellebecq Les particules élémentaires
9. Hutchinson/Lloyd Portuguese: An Essential Grammar
10. Rosa Vamos lá começar: Exercícios de Vocabulário
11. Rosa Vamos lá começar: Exercícios de Gramática
12. Russian-Norwegian dictionary
13. McVay Chekhov's Three Sisters (Critical Studies in Russian Literature)
14. Chekhov: Five Plays
15. Bescherelle Chronologie de l'histoire de France
16. Wachtel The Cambridge Introduction to Russian Poetry
17. Emerson The Cambridge Introduction to Russian Literature
18. Bescherelle Chronologie de la littérature française
19. Lefort/Pescada Ali Babá e os Quarenta Ladrões
20. Hergé Tintin: O Segredo do Licorne
21. Hergé Tintin: O Tesouro de Rackham, o Terrível
22. Rowling/Fraga Harry Potter e a Pedra Filosofal
23. Braga Contos Tradicionais do Povo Português
24. Camus/Quadros O Estrangeiro
25. Gogol/Egeberg Døde Sjeler
26. Soseki Natsume/Ika Kaminka Kokoro
27. Genki II
28. Portuguese-Norwegian mini dictionary
29. Kolstad Danielsen Opplysningens stjerne: Voltaire
30. Paasilinna Harens år
31. Haugerud Enkle atonale stykker for barn
32. Montefiore Dynastiet Romanov (The Romanovs)
33. Gejl Fugler ved hus og hytte
34. Mühling A Journey into Russia
35. Hurum/Frøyland Geologiske turer i Oslo-traktene
36. Andersen/Mose/Norheim Litterær analyse: En innføring
37. Sejersted/Vassenden Lyrikk: En håndbok
38. Andersen Norsk litteraturhistorie
39. Fløgstad Dalen Portland
40. Hamsun Sult
41. Emmerich Short Stories in Japanese (New Penguin Parallel Text)
42. Struve Russian Stories (Dover Dual Language)
43. Tiller Innsirkling
44. Vesaas Fuglane
45. Giæver/Stenseng 40 trivelige turer i Asker
46. Bainbridge Alle gode ting av tre
47. Pamuk Kvinnen med rødt hår
48. Eco Le cimitière de Prague
49. Zweig Le Wagon Plombé
50. Zweig Marie Stuart
51. Abril Anthologie de la poésie russe pour enfants
52. Constans Versailles: Château de la France et orgueil des rois
53. de Courtois Un thé à Istanbul
54. Brøgger Jadekatten
55. Gogol Petersburgnoveller
56. Solstad Professor Andersens natt
57. Houellebecq Underkastelse
58. Strindberg Frøken Julie & Ett drömspel
59. Fatland Sovjetistan
60. Fosse Morgon og kveld
61. Guldager København
62. Jensen Kongens fald
63. Kulbrandstad/Kinn Språkets mønstre
64. Fibiger/Lütken Litteraturens veje
65. Almenningen/Søyland Praktisk nynorsk
66. Olsson/Algulin Litteraturens historia i Sverige
67. Mårtenson/Fjeldstad Svenska för norrmän
68. Cramer/Kirkegaard Dansk sproglære fo nordmænd
69. Gadet Le français ordinaire
70. Näsström Frøya. Den store gudinnen i Norden
71. Burton Tales from the Arabian Nights
72. Assimil Using French
73. Oksanen Stalins kyr
74. Gary-Prieur Les déterminants du français
75. Kazuo Kasahara A History of Japanese Religion
76. Naddeo/Torresan/Trama Nuovo Canta che ti passa
77. Molière Dom Juan
78. Husby Innvandreres morsmål
79. Frank Pé & Zidrou Sprint: Borneos blikk
80. Linvik Den store sokkeboka
81. Ørsted Gaius Julius Caesar

Books read
1. Dumas L'amant
2. Madame de Lafayette La Princesse de Clèves
3. Henriette Levillain commente La Princesse de Clèves
4. Lefort/Pescada Ali Babá e os Quarenta Ladrões
5. Hergé Tintin: O Segredo do Licorne
6. Hergé Tintin: O Tesouro de Rackham, o Terrível
7. Voltaire Candide
8. Wachtel The Cambridge Introduction to Russian Poetry
9. Paasilinna Harens år
10. Haugerud Enkle atonale stykker for barn
11. Pamuk Kvinnen med rødt hår
12. Montefiore Dynastiet Romanov (The Romanovs)
13. Lemaitre Sacrifices
14. Fløgstad Dalen Portland
15. Hellestveit Syria: En stor krig i en liten verden
16. Hamsun Sult
17. Lindgren Mio, min Mio
18. Collett Amtmandens døttre
19. Waage Russland er sitt eget sted
20. Vogt Herman Wedel Jarlsberg: Den aristokratiske opprøreren
21. Strindberg Ett halvt ark papper och andra noveller
22. Mühling A Journey into Russia
23. Garborg Bondestudentar
24. Ibsen Et dukkehjem
25. Skram Forrådt
26. Walgermo Røff guide til Bibelen
27. Charlier/Giraud Blueberry l'intégrale 1
28. Charlier/Giraud Blueberry l'intégrale 2
29. Jensen Kongens fald
30. Vesaas Fuglane
31. Fosse Morgon og kveld
32. Guldager København
33. Bussi Nymphéas noirs
34. Seierstad To søstre
35. Arden The Bear and the Nightingale
Last edited by Mista on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 23 times in total.
2 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:48 am

Super Challenge

SC French books: 4780 / 5000
SC French films: 7358 / 9000
SC Latin books: 395 / 2500
SC Latin audio: 884 / 4500
SC Russian books: 268 / 2500
SC Russian films: 870 / 4500

Output Challenge

words written: 4855 / 50000
minutes spoken: 741 / 3000

Duolingo

Russian: 79 / 79
Turkish: 44 / 69
Portuguese: 23 / 69
Swahili: 1 / 65
Japanese: 33 / 40
Swedish: 20 / 66
Danish: 5 / 70
Vietnamese: 7 / 84

French
- Vocabulaire progressif du français débutant: 11 / 30
- FrenchPod lower intermediate: 3 / 23

Russian
- Mondly advanced: 21 / 21
- соседи 1 course book: 6 / 27
- Handwriting: 2 / 3
- Азбука: 26 / 33

Portuguese
- Mondly beginner: 10 / 21
- workbook vocab: 2 / 111
- workbook grammar: 13 / 128

Japanese
- Mondly beginner: 3 / 40
- Human Japanese: 45 / 45
- Human Japanese intermediate: 1 / 42
- Japanese from zero 2: 1 / 12

Sami
- Davvin 1: 7 / 12
Last edited by Mista on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 17 times in total.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:48 am

The first week back at Uni is over, so I've had a taste of all the classes I'll have this term.

French Grammar is a continuation from last term and more of the same: lectures, exercises, and a written exam at the end.

French literature is two hours of lecture and one hour of "travaux dirigés". This week we had a very general introduction to the study of literature, introducing concepts like focus, the difference between author and narrator and the different types of narrators, and stylistic figures. Then we got two excerpts from the first text we are reading, about a page each, and some questions where we had to apply the theory to the text, which we could prepare at home, and finally we met up and discussed these in small groups. I think this is going to be very good - I especially like that we get something to prepare in advance, because that means that not only is it going to be easier for me to prepare, but in addition, others are more likely to come prepared as well. The excerpts/questions we got so far are also suitable for a sort of "mock exam" type of exercise that I can do on my own, I'd like to make a habit once a week of recording myself talking about that week's text and topic (not sure I'll want to listen to myself, but recording it means I can use it for the Output Challenge).

Russian literature had an introductory lecture about Pushkin this week, and we were asked to read the two first poems on the curriculum for next time, making sure to use the dictionary extensively and to check which case every word is in, and attempt a translation. Sounds like the procedure I'm used to from Greek and Latin. I've started reading and it's going well so far. But slow.... but I'm used to that from Greek and Latin as well.

On Thursday I finally received a severely delayed package from Amazon, consisting of my last attempt to get going again with Latin in the Super Challenge. A while back, someone on this forum posted something about some translation to Latin they were reading, I don't remember which book it was (could have been The Hobbit, maybe?), but it had never occurred to me before that there could be other things than Harry Potter out there, so I went straight to Amazon and had a look - and ended up with The Hobbit, Alice in Wonderland, and the second Harry Potter book. But in addition to that, I found yet another interesting book by one of my favorite classical scholars, Eleanor Dickey: "Learning Latin the Ancient Way". People learned Latin in ancient times as well, and this book presents the texts written to help them learn - simplified Latin texts made for speakers of Greek, as far as I understand. The book is presented as a good companion to a regular Latin course for anyone learning Latin, and I think it could be an interesting read for those of us who have already learned a bit too. I haven't had time to read anything yet, but I'm sure I'll be posting about this book here again soon. I did start reading Hobbitus Ille, though, and almost finished the first chapter.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm

I stated earlier as one of my goals for this year that I would like to reach a B1 reading level in Russian, but until now I haven't given a lot of thought to how I'm going to measure this, except that I have a general idea of how the CEFR scale works and also a general idea of where to place myself on the scale. But today, I did an online placement test for Russian: http://lidenz.ru/courses/online-test/. It placed me at A2 (i.e. I should take an A2 course, not an A2 exam!) with 31 correct answers. The test uses multiple choice answers to test vocabulary and grammar, so I think it gives a good indication of reading level, which is what I'm out after. I'm posting this here now so I'll remember to do the test again later, I suppose once sometime this summer and once at Christmas would be a good timeline for this.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:05 pm

Around the time the last 6WC started, I got a small notebook which I use mainly for two things: 1) write down what I do for the 6WC so I don't have to be on twitter all the time, and 2) write down my plans for the week. For my weekly plans, I use one page per week, and from the top I write down everything I need to do by the end of the week, often adding more things as the week progresses, and at the bottom I have a list of everything I want to do daily. Those are in a grid with one column for each day, so I can check off every time I've done something on the list. The weekly stuff is mostly preparation for my classes at the University. The daily stuff has so far this year been:
- Duolingo Russian
- Mondly Russian
- Russian Coursebook
- Writing French (for output challenge)
- Speaking French (for output challenge)

Duolingo is the only thing on this list I manage do do consistently 7 days a week - which is why my streak reached 365 days today :D :D :D :D :D - but I've mostly managed the other things at least 5 days a week as well. And when I don't, it's very visible.... which makes it easier to stay on track.

Since the 6WC starts again tomorrow, I'll have to do some minor changes. I'll continue with Duolingo and Mondly but switch from Russian to Portuguese. The other activities will have to stay if I'm going to pass my exams in a decent way, so I'll have to try to squeeze in my Portuguese workbooks in addition to what I have on the list already. Apart from that, I'll slow down on my French listening, which I regularly do when I'm driving and irregularly at home, in favor of a Portuguese audio course.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 am

Jeg er spent på at hvordan du handler begge Duolingo og Mond.ly samtidig. Jeg ser Mond.ly som en svakere versjon av Duolingo, med mindre grammatik, og jeg hadde først tenkt på å bruke den før Duolingo (for gresk) som en oppvarming.

I'm curious as to how you deal with both Duolingo and Mond.ly at the same time. I see Mond.ly as a weaker version of Duolingo, with less grammar, and first had though of using it before Duolingo (for Greek) as a warm-up.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:22 am

Thanks for dropping by :D

Først litt feedback på norsken:

Expugnator wrote:Jeg er spent på at hvordan du handler begge Duolingo og Mond.ly samtidig. Jeg ser Mond.ly som en svakere versjon av Duolingo, med mindre grammatik, og jeg hadde først tenkt på å bruke den før Duolingo (for gresk) som en oppvarming.

Jeg er spent på at hvordan du behandler/håndterer begge(både) Duolingo og Mond.ly samtidig. Jeg anser Mond.ly som en svakere versjon av Duolingo, med mindre grammatikk, og jeg hadde først tenkt på å bruke den før Duolingo (for gresk) som en oppvarming.

Expugnator wrote:I'm curious as to how you deal with both Duolingo and Mond.ly at the same time. I see Mond.ly as a weaker version of Duolingo, with less grammar, and first had though of using it before Duolingo (for Greek) as a warm-up.

I've already done this with both Turkish and Russian, though in both cases I started with Duolingo first (and that's also the case, in fact with Portuguese, I started on the Duolingo tree a couple of years back, and did the first 19 lessons before I abandoned Duolingo altogether to study Japanese). I enjoy using them together, for various reasons.

One of them is the audio. At Mondly you get audio with almost all exercises, and it's mostly in complete sentences. And the pronunciation exercises don't even exist in Duolingo for most languages.

Another is the variation. I always like to have multiple approaches, and at any rate, Duolingo seems to be made to be used for 10-20 minutes a day. A related factor is that I think the Duolingo tends to move a bit too fast forward in the first half of the tree - I keep the whole tree golden by doing three lessons of repetition when needed, otherwise moving forward with new lessons, and at some point I feel I'm doing too many new lessons and need to slow down. When I did my first tree, I would just keep on repeating golden lessons until I felt like moving on, but now I tend to switch to another language instead, and when I come back after some weeks, it's time to regild everything. Meanwhile, I can keep on using Mondly for that language.

As for the lack of grammar, which I agree is Mondly's weakest point, I think it makes a lot of difference which language you are learning. With Turkish, this annoyed me a lot. With Russian, less so - I found it more challenging to deal with the pronunciation exercises, Russian pronunciation is difficult, and it doesn't help that the accompanying written text is in a different alphabet. But I probably had less problems with the grammar because of background in Ancient Greek and Latin. On the other hand, I don't think Duolingo gives you all the grammar you need either, which is why I like to have a more systematic coursebook/workbook on the side. I may be enough in the beginning, but sometime before I hit the halfway mark, I need more.

The short answer: Mondly is the best resource I know for listening/pronunciation for absolute beginners. But the lack of grammar would drive me crazy, so for me it's an obvious choice to use it together with Duolingo.

Oh, and if you mean "how" in a more practical sense: I usually do 3 lessons of Duolingo immediately after breakfast, and then Mondly immediately afterwards, if I have time. They both have that "easy to get started with" quality.

Have you used Mondly much at all, or have you just tested it so far?
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback and your detailed reply! Really insightful!

I like Mond.ly because it has a sense of linear progression which I don't feel at Memrise and its watering prompts. I don't review Duolingo either, so I just want a course to follow and I like how Mond.ly has a fancy layout while teaching useful vocabulary from the beginning. It does have its limitation.

I've been through 3 or 4 modules. I just can't make it fit into my schedule now. I used it earlier during my Greek studies, I'm not sure it makes that much sense now, maybe just for reviewing. What I don't like is how the daily lessons get lost, off-record. They are often better than the main "map". I'd rather have all lessons available listed altogether.

The language selection on Mond.ly is not bad, and since they don't need to excel on grammar they can move much faster with non-IE languages, and thus they already have Indonesian. That will be my main use for it.

I just found the app too noisy, I have to lower the volume to a level where I won't be able to hear anything else but mond.ly on my computer in order to keep it at a healthy volume.

Btw, someone else mentioned an advanced Mond.ly (was it Xmmm?). How do I head to it? Or isn't it available for all languages?
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:46 pm

You can set your level at beginner, intermediate, or advanced in the settings. When you go up a level, you just move through the same stuff again, though I have the impression that some sentences are new, but the mode is more challenging. At the advanced level, you have to type everything, for example. With Russian, at least, I found it very useful to work through all three levels.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”