Mista does a bit of everything in 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Re: Mista does a bit of everything in 2017

Postby Mista » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Well, I went to Portugal, and then everything went a bit crazy afterwards... I won't get into all that now, I'll just say that I finished my last exam on Thursday, and celebrated by doing some serious book shopping :D . One of the things I got was a book of Japanese short stories in parallel text, which I'm sure I'll have a go at once I've finished the Japanese course that Duolingo is rolling out on android these days. Apart from that I'm planning to study Norwegian (literature and grammar) in the fall, so I'm planning to brush up on my Nynorsk this summer by reading some of the moern classics.

The biggest news today is that I'm preparing for a trip to Paris tomorrow, which I'm really excited about. :D Apart from a few hours in Paris once when I was overbooked on my way to Istanbul and got to spend the night at the airport hotel, I have never been to France before. I'll be staying for just three days, so it's going to be busy. My two priorities are the Louvre and Versailles, and I have theatre tickets for a Molière play (I'll be reading the play on the plane, to be sure I have a clue what's going on).

If anyone would like a postcard from Paris, let me know. Let me know what excites you about Paris and/or what you would do if you were there, and send me your name and address in a pm, and I'll send you a card, with a few French words from me, of course. Or, if you don't care about the postcard, feel free to just post whatever you like about Paris in this thread anyway.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.

Postby Mista » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:44 pm

The new term at the university starts on Monday, and admissions to specific courses are published on sunday. Here's what I have applied for:

- Norwegian literature in the period 1800-2000, including some Swedish and Danish. This course is compulsory in the program I applied for (BA Norwegian), so the admission should be safe. My mother also studied this a generation ago, so I could pick some of the primary curriculum from her shelves. I've started reading some of the 19th century writers: Hamsun, Collett, Garborg. Hamsun's Sult (Hunger) is probably the only one of these known outside o Norway. We will also be reading Ibsen, of course. And Strindberg in Swedis and H.C. Andersen in Danish.

- Norwegian grammar, including some Swedish and Danish. This is also compulsory and probably safe. Learning theoretical Norwegian grammar will be fun, and probably not too much work, considering my background. The biggest challenge with this course is that we have to write Nynorsk, which I haven't done since I left high school 21 years ago (and I didn't write it with much confidence back then either). I started reading the book about the Swedish language, and as the second chapter discusses dialects, I was reminded of a TV series my mother has recommended to me about Swedish dialects, called Svenska dialektmysterier. It's available on youtube, fortunately. I've seen the first program so far.

- Russian grammar and communication. These are the "Russian for beginners"-courses. I'm beyond that level in many ways, but it should help me develop active skills, learn the morphology properly, plus it will qualify me to continue next term. Besides, it was my only option in Russian this term. These two courses together have 10 hours of classes a week, so I hope I won't have to do much outside of them.

- Advanced French communication: this course is meant to develop students' speaking and writing skills (which I need more than anything!).

- Le français d'aujourd'hui: This is a sort of anvanced grammar course, and is taught by the same teacher as the grammar course I took last term. She sent me an email around a week ago to congratulate me with the great result on the exam last term, and to suggest that I take this course. And I was very easy to cnvince - the only downside is that I won't have enough time for all this, but I'm very good at overlooking that.

While I wait for Sunday to come, I might as well try to concentrate on the 6wc. I'm doing Japanese this time, and enjoying it a lot! Japanese wasn't entirely new to me, so I already had more than enough resources lined up. Almost three weeks into the challenge, I've mainly been using:

- Duolingo: the Japanese course was introduced to android while I was in Paris in June, and I have been working on it ever since. I'm about 3/4 into the course now, so I suppose there's a chance I might finish by the time the 6wc is over. I'm generally a big fan of Duolingo as a supporting resource, and that goes for this course too.

- Japanese from Zero (textbook): had done book 1 previously, started on book 2 now at the beginning of the challenge. There were some chapters in the old book I did very cursorily, as I got a bit tired of every other chapter introducing a new way to count. Of course, book 2 expects me to know that stuff, but I know where to look it up, so it's all good.

- Human Japanese (textbook app): this is basically a textbook in electronic format, utilizing the benefits of the electronic format in smart ways: audio for every example sentence, immediate feedback on quizzes, etc. I finished the beginner's app yesterday and started on the intermediate one today.

- Mondly: as always, lots of audio and pronunciation practice. Also, yet another way of learning some kanji. And unlike Duolingo, you always get kanji, audio AND meaning in one go.

- Tinycards: Never used it before, decided to try it out with a basic kanji course. I guess it's worth a few minutes a day, in combination with other resources. As with Duolingo, I think it works best as repetition.

In addition to Japanese, I try to do some work in some other languages as well. In French, I've picked up my vocabulary book, which I have had forever an rarely use, despite the fact that I think it's very useful. I've also realized that it's a good starting point for getting some writing done, and that's my top priority in French at the moment. As usual, I also read and listen now and then.

In Russian, I'm regilding my Duo tree for now.

I've also logged som scandinavian stuff. When I log something as #norwegian, this is exclusively Nynorsk. So far, it's only been reading and listening, but grammar and writing will be coming soon. With Swedish, the situation is pretty much teh same, except that I have no interest in aquiring active skills and therefore won't be writing anything.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 pm

I would be terribly interested in the reading list for that literature course, if you'd share it.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 am

Systematiker wrote:I would be terribly interested in the reading list for that literature course, if you'd share it.

Of course, here's the link: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iln/NOR1300/h17/pensumliste/index.html

They have done a good job linking to free online texts, where possible. I hope those work outside of Norway too.
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Mista wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I would be terribly interested in the reading list for that literature course, if you'd share it.

Of course, here's the link: http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/hf/iln/NOR1300/h17/pensumliste/index.html

They have done a good job linking to free online texts, where possible. I hope those work outside of Norway too.

Thank you so much! I'm considering embarking on a project of reading the classics of the languages I do, especially those that don't make it into the anglophone canon in translation (did it in German, and thoroughly enjoyed it). I cross-teach with the literature department, so it's even justifiable...

Of course, given the source you've given me, you've added a great temptation to get at least reading ability in Norwegian.
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Systematiker wrote:
Mista wrote:

Thank you so much! I'm considering embarking on a project of reading the classics of the languages I do, especially those that don't make it into the anglophone canon in translation (did it in German, and thoroughly enjoyed it). I cross-teach with the literature department, so it's even justifiable...

Of course, given the source you've given me, you've added a great temptation to get at least reading ability in Norwegian.

Do you read Danish? Your profile suggests that you maybe do. If so, you should know that a lot of the literature from the 19th century is practically Danish. You could try it out and see how you do. A good place to start would probably be the short story by Maurits Christopher Hansen.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:57 pm

Systematiker wrote:I'm considering embarking on a project of reading the classics of the languages I do, especially those that don't make it into the anglophone canon in translation (did it in German, and thoroughly enjoyed it). I cross-teach with the literature department, so it's even justifiable...
I've just read Un Sac de Billes which I think might be described as a modern french classic (published 1973).

I thought of you when reading it because you mentioned in a thread on Ainsi Soient-ils that it was refreshing to not have priests depicted negatively, and in this book the priests encountered go out of their way to help complete strangers at some risk to themselves.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 am

Mista wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
Mista wrote:

Do you read Danish? Your profile suggests that you maybe do. If so, you should know that a lot of the literature from the 19th century is practically Danish. You could try it out and see how you do. A good place to start would probably be the short story by Maurits Christopher Hansen.

I do read Danish, with greater or lesser success depending on subject matter. Thanks for pointing me at somewhere to start - I'm a couple paragraphs in, and it's doable. And now I seem to have started a new reading project for sure...

DaveBee wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I'm considering embarking on a project of reading the classics of the languages I do, especially those that don't make it into the anglophone canon in translation (did it in German, and thoroughly enjoyed it). I cross-teach with the literature department, so it's even justifiable...
I've just read Un Sac de Billes which I think might be described as a modern french classic (published 1973).

I thought of you when reading it because you mentioned in a thread on Ainsi Soient-ils that it was refreshing to not have priests depicted negatively, and in this book the priests encountered go out of their way to help complete strangers at some risk to themselves.

Putting it on my list, thank you!
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt

Postby Mista » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:30 pm

It's been a while - I've been incredibly busy this fall. But since I've mostly been busy learning languages, I think a summary post is due before I leave this log and start a new one.

French

I did a course this term which focused on oral production - something I really need. The main activity in this course was following the news throughout the week, and presenting one news item in class every week. A very useful activity, which I think could also work well in a language exchange setting. Although I felt I have benefitted greatly from this class, I didn't do all that wel on the exam (which just means that others are better than I am, which didn't come as a surprise). According to the feedback I got, the biggest problem I have right now is that I struggle with the morphology, getting the agreement right. I notice I get that wrong sometimes even when reading aloud, so I think more reading aloud is going to be beneficial. On a related note, I often struggle to find the correct form of a verb - it won't help you much to know you should use the subjuctive, if you don't know how to form it... so I think some grammar drills would be useful too.

I didn't quite manage to finish the Super Challenge, and ended up with 95 books and 81 movies. That's not too bad though, so I think I'll declare myself satisfied.

Russian

I started on a beginner's course this term, and have therefore mainly been working on bringing my active kills up to scratch. I've seen a great improvement in my pronunciation, active vocabulary, and mastery of the case forms. Next term will be more of the same.

Norwegian

Languagewise, my goals were to improve my active mastery of Nynorsk, and my reading knowledge of Swedish and Danish. To be honest, I never put my soul into this, but at least I was forced to do a certain amount of Nynorsk writing in order to take the exams. I'm considering doing the exams again, but first I want to see the results, which should be ready in a few days.

Sami

I joined a friend in what they call an "online course" in Northern Sami, but which is in fact a coursebook and some CDs with a radio program originally broadcasted in the eighties (in the good old days when NRK broadcasted programs with real content insted of "Hurtigruta hour by hour"). The course is, however, decent enough, and we have also found some children's books to read at the library. We are now about halfway through the course and have learned present tense singular of verbs, negative nerbs, nominative, accusative/gentitive and locative cases, how to say hello and goodbye, and some other basic vocabulary. Once we finish the course, we'll get a full refund of the course fee, courtesy of the state of Norway (you don't have to be a sami to get this, but I do think you have to be a resident of Norway).

Vietnamese

This is my Christmas project. I've registered for a course in Norwegian language structure compared to the structures of some big immigrant languages, and Vietnamese is one of these. I've been working with the Teach Yourself Vietnamese, which has a very good phonological introduction with audio. In addition to that, I've been doing Duolingo and Mondly. It's only been a couple of weeks, and I'm still at the stage where I need to focus on pronunciation and the alphabet. Hopefully, I'll learn some words along the way too.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”