A(nother) Spanish Log - Transition from Intermediate to Advanced

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Re: A(nother) Spanish Log - Transition from Intermediate to Advanced

Postby FrannieB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Great book suggestion

I love your ideas of topics. Spontaneously the other day with my tutor I decided to discuss the state of education in the United States in regards to student achievement, race and immigration.
It was the hardest conversation I have had in Spanish, however, I was able to hang in there is get my points made without switching to English. I can't wait to do more conversations like this after my current push to Guatemala is finished.

From experience, I will tell you 4 hours a day is going to boost you quickly. I have been doing 4 hours a day for 6 weeks and it has been crazy how much I have progressed.

Sometimes I feel burnt out and say I will take a break and then that day I miss Spanish so I do something anyways and end up doing close to 3 hours. I think it is wise to have different topics, workbooks or shows you can watch so if you feel burnt out you can change it up for the day.
1 x

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Postby the1whoknocks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 am

Hey FrannieB - I really enjoyed reading Latin Kings, and am hoping to do a write-up soon so I’ll at least have something to look back on. I remember reading a review of the book from a teacher who said it was one of the only books his students were actually excited to read. I thought that was telling, even if it was for what he considered to be ‘the wrong reasons’. I don’t know enough about education in the US in the context that you mentioned to comment, but I hope to learn more about it within the next few weeks.

It’s crazy how fast time adds up, at 4 hours/day for 7 days/week you’d be looking at 196 hours at the end of your mission. Even assuming that’s all the time you spent on Spanish, it’s still a good amount of hours. I’m looking forward to a perceivable improvement 10 weeks from now. At the very least, I will have learnt something.

You’re right on changing things up. As it relates to Spanish, I’ve never attempted a ‘plan’ before. The hope is that I’ll stay interested simply because I'm working with subjects that I’d like to learn more about anyway (even if I weren't studying Spanish). As Tyson once said, ‘everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.” We’ll see how things turn out.

James29 wrote:Just as fair warning, I am now also watching Ingobernable and I am almost done with that. When I finish Ingobernable I will go back to watching nine episodes of La Nina each week... and I will once again pull ahead of you. :)

I don't always binge watch La niña ... But when I do, it's to stay ahead of you.

Challenge accepted :)

Also, it really was like I left the US when I went to NOLA.
1 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt

Postby the1whoknocks » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:52 am

If I were just able to write with the subtle sophistication of Garcia Marquez or Carlos Ruiz Zafón … or really any accomplished Spanish-language writer, I’d be happy. Of course, to expect results without doing the necessary work would be ridiculous. I know, but it’s a nice thought. After 5 days and roughly 1,600 words into my writing routine I started skipping days on account of “I didn’t want to.” More likely it’s, “it takes me what seems like forever to write a piece that I am really satisfied with.” Rather than allow frustration to reign, I’m taking a deep breath, and will come back to it.

Normally, I’d press on in a fit of stubbornness. Certainly there is a time for that, but I’m reminded of a (version of a) quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson that my high school principal used to often leave us with:

Nothing great or worthwhile was ever achieved without enthusiasm

With that in mind, I’m going to opt for a more relaxed approach. For the rest of the month, I’m allowing myself to do whatever I want with only two conditions: I spend at least 4 hours daily interacting with Spanish, and I read something related to one of the topics I identified as being of high conversational value to me.

So far, I’ve felt like:

-1. Attacking FSI – Never saw that coming.
-2. Finishing La niña - before the end of June.
-3. See how fast I can return these books to the library – I have no idea what possessed me to check out so many a couple weeks ago. :? Image Image

Well, the good news is that I have still been waking up early and getting my four-hours in with Spanish. I’m on unit 6 of FSI, episode 66 of La niña and on my second book for the month.

I anticipate getting back to writing soon, maybe in July. Until then, I’m taking in as much Spanish as possible!
3 x

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt

Postby the1whoknocks » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:21 am

This is more a random collection of thought, than an update.

I like to kid myself into believing that I’d learn a second foreign language. I’m strangely torn between French and Portuguese. French would be easier for me since it would interfere less with Spanish, and it’d be good for business. But Portuguese … I really want to spend time in Brazil, and I never know where I might end up professionally. Agh, I don’t know why I’m fantasizing about other languages. I have no time for them, Spanish is now my obsession.

And to think, had it not been for a group of patient and intriguing colleagues, and a job I had never imagined having, I’d still be trapped in my monolingual world … surrounded by the familiar, secure in my own background and perspective. That might not have been a bad thing, after all, I was happy. They say, ‘ignorance is bliss.’ … maybe it was bliss – I had an idea, but I didn’t know what I was missing as a, ‘man of one language.’

Maybe I’m just rambling so much because I’m particularly grateful. Grateful for the strangers I’ve come to know as friends; thankful for opportunities that almost three years ago, were never available to me; indebted to a community that has selflessly given me so much. Thank you – even if you never read this.

…………………………..

I’ve decided I want to spend some time in a Spanish speaking country. I don’t know when, I don’t know where. I only know I'd like to spend at least a month there. If I plan on taking the DELE, it should probably be sometime before; immersion before then would be nice. We’ll see.

I finished watching La niña. I relied on subtitles quite a bit for the first 10 or so episodes. I don’t know what it was, but it took me a minute to become accustomed to the accent. That's a bit strange since I didn’t have that problem with, “El patron del mal.” I’m still deciding on my next series – I might make it another from Colombia since the last two I watched were from there … that would make 150ish hours of listening to Spanish from one region.

- A Corazon abierto. (YouTube)
- #Hoysoynadie
- El señor de los cielos (maybe later)
- Celia
- La querida del centauro
- La promesa .. eh
- El pantera (youtube)
- El cartel de los sapos … maybe
- A la mala (romance)
- El tirador
- No respires
- Split (en español)
- Los simuladores

^ all series or movies. There are other suggestions, but I misplaced the sheet of paper they’re written on.

I forgot what chapter of FSI I’m on, but I did about 2 more units. Other than that, I’ve been alternating between two books: El ultimo narco – El Chapo, la fuga by Malcolm Beth, and El lobo y el espía – Un padre, un hijo y la CIA by Scott C Johnson. Both are comfortable reads so far. I hope to finish them both by the end of the month (Friday) … and do a proper log update soon after.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 am

You probably know that there is a series about el chapo on Netflix? Mexican obviously and mildly entertaining I'd say. Not too long either.
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt

Postby the1whoknocks » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:11 am

blaurebell wrote:You probably know that there is a series about el chapo on Netflix? Mexican obviously and mildly entertaining I'd say. Not too long either.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I dismissed it a while back because of its theme; nothing personal, I just preferred to watch something that was not directly narco related. Anyway, I took another look at it today, and it’s actually not too bad – I think I’ll watch it.

If you haven’t already, you might consider taking a look at HBO’s Sr. Ávila and Capadocia. Both series are from Mexico, so they would add well to your Mexican audio SC. I’ve heard good things about Sr. Ávila, and iguanamon, so far, hasn’t written anything bad about Capadocia.

Just to check them out, I’m leaning towards just signing up for a 1 month free trial of HBO Now. They look good, and together it’d be about 70 episodes, so it probably won’t take me more than two months to watch them both. I could always buy a subscription for the second month. .. Really hoping for something entertaining, and with any luck these might be just that.

Thanks again.
1 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:09 pm

Congratulations on finishing La Nina. I have about 11 episodes left. I'm going to work my way through all the telenovelas on Netflix with the audio description function. None of them have too many episodes. I'll also pick a longer telenovela to work through at the same time. I'm leaning toward "Made in Cartagena."

For what it is worth on French, I was able to pick up reading quite fast by working thoroughly through the first 2/3 of Sandberg's French for Reading. French will come pretty quickly to you if you are motivated for it. My problem is my motivation for studying French is simply not there.
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:10 pm

the1whoknocks wrote:If you haven’t already, you might consider taking a look at HBO’s Sr. Ávila and Capadocia. Both series are from Mexico, so they would add well to your Mexican audio SC. I’ve heard good things about Sr. Ávila, and iguanamon, so far, hasn’t written anything bad about Capadocia.

Just to check them out, I’m leaning towards just signing up for a 1 month free trial of HBO Now. They look good, and together it’d be about 70 episodes, so it probably won’t take me more than two months to watch them both. I could always buy a subscription for the second month. .. Really hoping for something entertaining, and with any luck these might be just that.

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried to find Sr. Ávila before, but ran into some kind of technical problem along the way, so I just picked another series instead. I didn't know that there was a month long trial, maybe I try that in the end! It's getting a tad ridiculous though, how many subscriptions is one supposed to have, Netflix, HBO, Amazon etc ...! *sigh*
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt

Postby the1whoknocks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 pm

James29 wrote:Congratulations on finishing La Nina. I have about 11 episodes left. I'm going to work my way through all the telenovelas on Netflix with the audio description function. None of them have too many episodes. I'll also pick a longer telenovela to work through at the same time. I'm leaning toward "Made in Cartagena."

Thanks, James – I was wondering were you were with the series after missing your update this week. Although you keep the log for yourself, I enjoy following along. Anyway, I was planning to follow a similar approach; following a few longer telenovelas, and breaking them up with the shorter series found on Netflix, and movies as desire/boredom dictatates. 11 episodes probably gives me enough time to get through El Chapo, and finish-up with a few books, before you start your next series.

Made in Cartagena, actually looks binge-worthy, for a while at least. It has good character interaction, the plot seems interesting and has a bit of action. I’m really disappointed I didn’t notice it sooner on Netflix. If reports are accurate, it won’t be available to stream on Netflix after Friday (6/30). I went as far to see where else it’s available; DVD and Starz seem to be the only options.

Have you noticed Fugitivos, or La Querida del Centauro?

For what it is worth on French, I was able to pick up reading quite fast by working thoroughly through the first 2/3 of Sandberg's French for Reading. French will come pretty quickly to you if you are motivated for it. My problem is my motivation for studying French is simply not there.

I appreciate your insight. I’m thinking French for Reading, Assimil and a light TV series, would be a nice combination when the time comes. I enjoyed using Spanish for Reading. I hope you won’t mind that I’ll be back to pick your brain if I decide to pick up French soon. For now, I have no business even thinking about a third language until Spanish is at a solid B2/C1 - Still, the possibility is tempting sometimes.
1 x

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt

Postby the1whoknocks » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

blaurebell wrote:
the1whoknocks wrote:If you haven’t already, you might consider taking a look at HBO’s Sr. Ávila and Capadocia. Both series are from Mexico, so they would add well to your Mexican audio SC. I’ve heard good things about Sr. Ávila, and iguanamon, so far, hasn’t written anything bad about Capadocia.

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried to find Sr. Ávila before, but ran into some kind of technical problem along the way, so I just picked another series instead. I didn't know that there was a month long trial, maybe I try that in the end! It's getting a tad ridiculous though, how many subscriptions is one supposed to have, Netflix, HBO, Amazon etc ...! *sigh*

I was happy to do so.

I’m with you on the subscriptions dilemma. Finding good Spanish language series in one place really is harder than it should be, and it looks like I might be throwing in a month or two with STARZ Direct for good measure.

At least it’s cheaper than HBO. ;)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”