Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Postby iguanamon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Expugnator wrote:...it's like having Miguel Falabella playing a ladies' man's role...

:lol: . Ele diria que é um "verdadeiro deus nórdico", mas sim, ele nunca seria um "ladies man".

When you're ready for Swahili, Deutsche Welle's Learning By Ear site has a series of radionovelas in Swahili with corresponding translations in English, French and Portuguese for making parallel texts- free to download in pdf and mp3.

Your log continues to be an inspiration for us all, Expug.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:16 pm

When are you planning to start Swahili?
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:04 pm

iguanamon wrote:
Expugnator wrote:...it's like having Miguel Falabella playing a ladies' man's role...

:lol: . Ele diria que é um "verdadeiro deus nórdico", mas sim, ele nunca seria um "ladies man".

When you're ready for Swahili, Deutsche Welle's Learning By Ear site has a series of radionovelas in Swahili with corresponding translations in English, French and Portuguese for making parallel texts- free to download in pdf and mp3.

Your log continues to be an inspiration for us all, Expug.

Thank you. iguanamon! That's great news about the DW material, that shows I'm going to have LR material for Swahili at least at an A2 stage.

Systematiker wrote:When are you planning to start Swahili?

I don't know...When is it easier to drag Cavesa, Elenia or Brun Ugle into it? They say Swahili is scheduled for 2018, so my goal is not to let them wait that long :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

=======================================================
On Friday, I turned on the next soundfile from "Che la festa comminci", to check if there had been any improvements. I played a file with a text I had already read, so it was easier. Overall, I think my listening skills improvement and my knowledge of the story made it easier to follow it now, but I still prefer to read the book intensively as it has much new vocabulary.

The weekend was productive language-wise but not exactly in terms of studying. On Saturday afternoon, we had what I consider the first meetup from the local Polyglot Club that was actually multilingual. I got to speak Mandarin for a long time with the guy who translated some episodes of Slow Chinese. He's been learning the language for one year but his pronunciation is much better than mine. He practices often with friends from Beijing. I managed to keep the conversation going for several minutes, occasionally resorting to a word or idiom in Portuguese. It was good to evaluate my shortcomings and once again to make me see how the lack of output is hindering my own progress. Then I spoke French with a group. There were French-speaking people before but people would just sit around the table and speak English all through it, not leaving room for other languages, and today it finally worked out to have multiple parallel conversations. One of the guys I spoke English to speaks intermediate Greek, which sounds promising. Another guy went there to speak German but we didn't have the chance to talk in German as he was talking to someone else in English and that would mean leaving that other guy out of the conversation.

Audiobook-wise, I solved my issues with material (temporarily. as I still have to decide with non-fiction book I'm doing next in Russian). I got the book "Adapt" which will replace "The Shallows" as my lunchtime listening. Then I surprisingly managed to find French audiobooks for some Brazilian books I was slowly reading in Portuguese. That is a real breakthrough because it means I'll be able to turn most of my non-language-related reading into language learning.

I managed to watch the first episode of The OA. I liked it. I want to keep watching it even if not as a language activity. After watching the first episode in the original English with Portuguese subtitles, I'm not sure I can take the voice-over Russian dubbing. I think I should keep watching just native Russian series, taking advantage of the sufficiently good automatic subtitles and of my growing skills. If later I notice I need to understand the dialogues more in depth, to finetune in order to reach a higher level, I'll then resort to dubbed series again.

As I move towards the end of "The Shallows", by Nicholas Carr, I thought I should share a quote by David Foster Wallace that is cited at that book:

David Foster Wallace wrote:Learning how to think really means learning how to exercise some control over how and what you think. It means being conscious and aware enough to choose what you pay attention to and to choose how you construct meaning from experience.

I am faced with this issue on a daily basis. There is so much 'to read' or 'to watch' that everytime a resource is over I undergo a reflection upon to what should come next. I'm constantly collecting suggestions and finding new interests, and over the years I realized that when something is remarkable and mentioned by several sources I should take some notes as to make sure I'm going to do it next, or else I'll pick, for example, a book on a subject that is of lower priority just because it has been found more recently and is therefore fresher in memory. My own language studies are long mingled with my own overal knowledge studies, and even though I don't study any subjects systematically other than languages themselves, I have some fields I want to keep working on, and I don't want to repeat unnecessary stuff, for that matter. Every new 'slot', every resource that ends is a new window that opens in an attempt to become a more mature and understanding person.

Still working on Kuxnya with automatic subtitles. Today some excerpts weren confusing, but others were so clear that I didn't need subtitles at all.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Expugnator wrote:
Systematiker wrote:When are you planning to start Swahili?

I don't know...When is it easier to drag Cavesa, Elenia or Brun Ugle into it? They say Swahili is scheduled for 2018, so my goal is not to let them wait that long :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

See, and I've been saying "let's do Swahili together later this year" for a few weeks now...you've got me on your side. I've got a bunch of students who are native speakers, so I really should learn it, I've just hesitated because I'm jealous of the Finnish group :lol:
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 pm

I don't think you could get Cavesa to agree to hold off on Polish for another year. Actually, I don't think you could get me to do so, either!!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm

STOP IT, ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Should you start Swahili sooner, I will stand by, admire you, and cheer for you. :-)
If only you saw the hoard of medicine textbooks haunting me. In larger packs, they are getting aggressive. And let's not forget that my language year 2017 is devoted to Spanish and German and they are now enough, at least till the autumn :-D
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Cavesa wrote:Should you start Swahili sooner, I will stand by, admire you, and cheer for you. :-)
If only you saw the hoard of medicine textbooks haunting me. In larger packs, they are getting aggressive. And let's not forget that my language year 2017 is devoted to Spanish and German and they are now enough, at least till the autumn :-D

Well, as you know, autumn is when the new LLOrg school year starts ;) although if all goes to plan I'll be busy starting actual school then, so maybe we should adjust a little...
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Well, the year has just begun. I'm sure this subject and other treats will come into topic long before Halloween....

======================
Today's Narnia reading was quite productive. Now I can get the gist just from the Chinese + pera-pera, and the translation only serves to fill in some gaps later. I can also easily catch up when the audio is slightly different from the text, which doesn't happen often. i'm really motivated about it now, even more so that the book is really nice, and so is the audiobook. Listening to audiobooks takes longer than just reading extensively, but it's something that is both productive and fun.

It was not hard to folow today's Georgian reading. hen it's about the main character it tends to be less confusing and easier to understand in Georgian alone.

The Estonian reading was really easy to follow. En revanche, the Living Language Greek lesson was even longer than usual, and tiresome. I think I made a good use of it, nonetheless.

I finished my tasks over 1 1/2 hours before the deadline, so I could get back to Clozemaster again. A friend started discussing how it presents itself as the post-Duolingo resource, and I decided to log in again. I'm really happy about Greek: my knowledge evolved through this break and know using Clozemaster, even if at its graded format and not the overall sentences at once, is really productive.

With the additional time, I watched another episode with Estonian subtitles. It's the closer I can get to authentic spoken language as comprehensible input, and it really helps. My level is higher now as well, so I can make more sense of each sentence and follow the lines in real time.

I also watched some more minutes from Westworld with Greek subtitles (another language I can only use subtitles for). Still not fast enough to make a good use of the subtitles, apart from short sentences.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:14 pm

A good episode of Jänku-Jussi. I had to look up very few words. It was about when kids are left home alone. This shouldn't be allowed here in Brazil, so the instructions to not to open the door to anyone or to say on the phone that you are alone are redundant.

Stil at Kuxnya. The site Downsubs wasn't working, so I realized I don't need to download the automatic subtitles and then translate it at Google; I can translate them directly on Youtube. Moreover, my Russian comprehension keeps improving and I can understand some full sentences without those subs.

Noun morphology has been a nightmarish topic that haunts me throughout the intermediate stage in German, Russian and Estonian. I know how much I love a language when I don't really care whether there are many case forms to learn. That's how it goes with Modern Greek: there are only 3 main case forms, yet plural is distinguished for all 3 genders and some forms coincide in speech but not in spelling; yet I'm totally cool about it,as it won't affect my love for the language. It also helps that verbal morphology isn't that nightmarish.

I've written my daily routine at least once a year and detailed the activities developped. Now I'm just counting the minutes spent daily on each language. They don't change much from one day to another, except when I change from a textbook with shorter lessons to one with longer lessons, and vice-versa, but textbooks are currently a perypheral part of my studies.

Papiamento: 15 minutes
Estonian: 20 minutes
Russian: 45 minutes
Mandarin: 28 minutes
Norwegian: 72 minutes
French: 20 minutes
English: 45 minutes
Georgian: 80 minutes
German: 27 minutes
Italian: 15 minutes
Greek: 45 minutes

Another day of early completions and so I decided to go for more watching with Estonian subtitles. I hope it starts to pay off soon. I'm on that stage when I pay more attention to known words and how they get along together than to completely unknown words, which my brain still ignores given the fact I'm listening in English and reading subtitles in both English and Estonian.

I went back to the Coursera course and I wanted to read the forum here but it was impossible due to the noise. People were talking really loud today and that got on my nerves. I can usually zone out but today was above all limits, everyone was shouting while discussing ordinary house issues.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”