IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Worlds within themselves. IronMike's 2020 log (ANG, EO, BCS, RU)

Postby IronMike » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 am

Expugnator wrote:Getting used to and learning to ignore secondary dubbing is an important strategy in language-learning mindfulness...

Nope, can't do it. Tried since 1986. Not gonna work now.
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:45 pm

I haven't watched American Survivor for a while, so not sure this is common now, but in the Russian version, the tribe (together now) chose who would be kicked out (the ladies led the charge to get a strong man out) and the hostess, before she should have doused Dima's flame, gave him an immunity idol. WTF?

It's so different from our Survivor with the in-episode advertising, the huge dry-bag they were allowed to bring (so many changes of clothes), so many quit vice get voted out. Really weird.

And, I was reminded of shirts I'd seen years ago in Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan, the rejects from the US with the wrong World Series winner or a team that doesn't exist (L.A. Cowboys anyone?). On this Survivor, Dima loves wearing a shirt that says across the top from shoulder to shoulder: Do it today or rengret it tomorrow. hahahaha!

Lots of the cooking show, на ножах, including one that has a different host who goes to hotels. He went to a hostel in St. Petersburg (Bla Bla Rooms). What a crap hole with a really horrible owner.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:40 am

Looks like my twice-weekly 2-hour class online with DLI is set-up to start on Monday, 13 April. w00t! Can't wait. It'll be six weeks long, only one Monday off (Memorial Day), so 22 hours of one-on-one.

Due to COVID-19, I no longer have to take the DLPT by August. I get another few months; will probably take the DLPT/OPI now in late November/early December. I'll probably do another DLI online class after the summer. Why after the summer?

Well, a few of my plans have changed in light of the "new world order." The annual international Esperanto conference (Universala Kongreso) will be postponed. It was to be in early August in Montreal. The Congress comes to North America like once a decade, so I was excited that I was a) stationed in the US when b) the UK was to be held in North America. Oh well. Small price to pay to help defeat this virus.

But, that said, my original plan was to DLPT/OPI in Russian by end of May, then use all June and July to work on my productive skills in Esperanto in prep for my KER exam during the UK. But now that the UK isn't happening...

Where I work is a young lady originally from Denmark. I've used my limited (3 phrases, maybe) Danish with her and she's so thankful that someone will speak Danish to her that it got me thinking. If I don't need to do special work on Esperanto over the summer, and I can take a break from Russian, well then...

So I told her today that perhaps in the summer I'll start buying her lunch once a week to go over Danish. Why not? I've always loved picking languages based on "resources" I had nearby. Thus my attempt at Tagalog in the late '90s when we had a Filipina neighbor. Or of course working on Kyrgyz when we lived in Bishkek. And of course Russian in Moscow.

Bottom line, maybe my plan will change with a 3-month foray into Danish June-August this year. Who knows? We'll see!
6 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Re: Worlds within themselves. IronMike's 2020 log (ANG, EO, DA, RU)

Postby IronMike » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Class is set up! And I did the math wrong, 7 weeks: 26 hours of one-on-one. Yes! Every Monday and Friday, 5-7pm, just me and a DLI instructor. I regularly get frustrated during these types of classes, but I need this. Can't wait.

Now I'm looking around for a good one-book Danish text. Any recommendations?
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 am

Just finished class #1 with my DLI instructor and got my lips beat (as we used to say back in DLI years ago). Oy. Been so long. Did a listening diagnostic and I suck. Horrible.

But it was nice to be speaking Russian again, so that part was nice. And she is very nice. That makes it enjoyable.

Still looking for recommendations for a Danish book. I'm open for your comments!
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:36 am

Anything, as long as it's Danish? Then I give you "Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for snø" by Peter Høeg. That's the Norwegian title, but I hope it's the Danish title too, it looks like it could be.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

Mista wrote:Anything, as long as it's Danish? Then I give you "Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for snø" by Peter Høeg. That's the Norwegian title, but I hope it's the Danish title too, it looks like it could be.

Sorry! Should have pointed to my original request several above this one. I'm looking for a one-book Danish language textbook recommendation! Maybe someday I'll be good enough to read Smila's Sense of Snow (assuming that's the book you recommended). I read it in English oodles of years ago and freaking loved it!
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Re: Worlds within themselves. IronMike's 2020 log (ANG, COP, DA, EO, RU)

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Yes, dear reader(s), you read the title of my blog correctly. That's Coptic in there. Just found out the group that I did some Middle Egyptian with two years ago is about to start a Coptic section, using Lambden's Introduction to Sahidic Coptic. I couldn't resist. And why not? Many of you manage to work more than one language at a time. Why can't I?

If anyone is interested in working on Coptic with me, I can forward you the info. Just PM me or reply in here. The class starts may 4th and homework will be due every other Sunday (so 15 May first homework). You need the book. Oh, and the class is free and if this class will be anything like the other GlyphStudy groups have been, it'll be moderated/led by a person who actually knows what they're talking about!
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:39 pm

IronMike wrote: Maybe someday I'll be good enough to read Smila's Sense of Snow (assuming that's the book you recommended). I read it in English oodles of years ago and freaking loved it!

Yes, that's the one. I can't recommend any textbooks, unfortunately, as we Norwegians tend to learn Danish reading Ludvig Holberg.

As for Coptic, I've already done Lambdin, and a little bit of other stuff, but I'll be interested if you make it through and are ready for more.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Re: Worlds within themselves. IronMike's 2020 log (ANG, COP, DA, EO, RU)

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:16 pm

Going over my notes from last night's first session with DLI. Some good new (or, rather, not-remembered-and-long-ago-forgotten) vocab.

пророческий: prophetic
воспитанный: well-raised, mannered
поношенный: worn out, used

Perhaps my favorite came up as I was listening to a passage about people who use the buses and trams without paying, безбилетники or without-ticket-ers. What I kept missing in the passage was what these scofflaws are called in Russian: зайцы, or rabbits (hares actually)! Makes sense, especially when my girls and I saw some cops roll a заяц when he made a run for it off the tram we were on in Moscow a few years ago! He was a young rabbit, but those three cops had him in the snow in seconds!
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”