IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Worlds within themselves. IronMike's 2020 log (ANG, EO, BCS, RU)

Postby IronMike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Deinonysus wrote:My in-laws just bought my daughter a giant stuffed dinosaur and I am obligated to inform you that I have named him Iron Mike Tyseratops.

Love it! Need a picture of the Simpsons-drawn version of the boxer (my profile pic) and then put it on Iron Mike Tyseratops' face!
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:14 am

Got a lot of Russian TV watching while the wife was out and cooking. Just learned on Castle that a nail gun is called a строительный пистолет (spelling probably wrong). Watched two episodes of Castle and the second half of the first episode of Russian Survivor (Последний Герой). Second episode is on tonight at 19.00 so I'll probably watch it sometime later. Unless the wife wants to watch...she is a fan of Survivor in other languages. She used to watch German Survivor.
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Deinonysus wrote:My in-laws just bought my daughter a giant stuffed dinosaur and I am obligated to inform you that I have named him Iron Mike Tyseratops.

Not Barney ??
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Did a bunch more study yesterday of the думать chapter in my grammar book. So many different verbs with that as the root.

This morning watched the second episode of Survivor. One guy on there, pretty fat, got into a diabetic emergency and had to be taken away. Three days later he's back for tribal council. And doesn't get kicked off! During this episode saw an ad for Tremors, that classic Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward film (with a very young girl who would later show up as the granddaughter of John Hammond in Jurassic Park). So after Survivor I of course watched Tremors. So fun.

That makes 2:45 of Russian this morning. None of this counts towards the 6WC, though. My Russian is too high level; the 6WC is supposed to be for those A1 to about B1. I don't want to spend any of my precious time working on another language when I could be improving my Russian, so I'm going to stop tweeting out my Russian times. I'll just log them here.

Now on to reading my English (language) book, The Age of Innocence, for our family book club. Pretty good so far.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ice Blue
White Belt
Languages: French (N), English
Learning : Russian
On hold : Croatian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9916

Postby Ice Blue » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:19 pm

IronMike wrote:This morning watched the second episode of Survivor. One guy on there, pretty fat, got into a diabetic emergency and had to be taken away. Three days later he's back for tribal council. And doesn't get kicked off!

They never kicked off the ones who really deserved it :D I don't watch this show anymore but I have very fond memories of the French version of Survivor. Might be a good idea to try it in Russian!
1 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:53 pm

IronMike wrote:That makes 2:45 of Russian this morning. None of this counts towards the 6WC, though. My Russian is too high level; the 6WC is supposed to be for those A1 to about B1. I don't want to spend any of my precious time working on another language when I could be improving my Russian, so I'm going to stop tweeting out my Russian times. I'll just log them here.

You could still use the bot if you want to. Just register for another language - you don't actually have to study it - and then log the Russian for your total score.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:11 pm

Did a bunch of Hunger Games today; I'll finish it this week. And am looking for my next L-R, this time I think I'm going to listen to Russian and read in English. Reading in these forums, I guess the issue will be reading ahead. I'll have to make sure I don't do that.

Choices for my next L-R include: American Gods; Neuromancer; Name of the Rose; or Blood of Elves. I've already got American Gods in Russian audio and Kindle both languages. It'll probably be Gaiman then.

But before I do another L-R, I have an Audible book I've been waiting to start.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:37 am

Bought some more Russian audiobooks last night, so my next L-R will be one of the following: Eco's Name of the Rose; Morgan's Altered Carbon; Salkowsky's Blood of Elves; or Le Carre's Legacy of Spies. The first two I've read before. I've read a bunch of Le Carre. And I read The Last Wish by Salkowsky.

So that's exciting!

Today got pretty far in Hunger Games. Have about a chapter and a half left. In Kindle terms, I'm at 93%. Also did some GLOSS at work: Фактор страха: как гибель Boeing 737 МАХ повлияет на мировой авиарынок. It was Reading at level 3. It was hard. It concerned the Boeing 737 MAX plane crashes (Indonesia & Ethiopia) and the stand-down of them flying. Took me quite a while to finish that lesson.

And tonight watched an episode of Castle/Касл, the one about the bank robbery. And I started a second one, but barely got into it before the dinner bell rang.
Last edited by IronMike on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:21 am

Where do you buy Russian audiobooks?

Il nome della rosa is one of my favorite books of all time, and probably one of the reasons why I studied Ancient Greek. In addition to Norwegian, I've read it in Italian and listened to the audiobook in French and German. I'm not quite ready for it in Russian yet, though - at the moment, Harry Potter is challenging enough.
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:45 am

+1 for Name of the Rose (and Eco in general); like Mista I love it enough that I own and read it in several languages. It’s one of only four novels that I reread annually (at a minimum, sometimes I do read it twice a year).
2 x

Return to “Language logs”