IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: So many languages, so little time. A(nother) language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby IronMike » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 pm

OK, so I forgot to report back after class number 2. Another great class. The daughter is picking it up, and her pronunciation is improving. Unfortunately, they rescheduled the 3rd class to a Friday night, which we couldn't make. Then the 4th class I was sick, and my daughter didn't want to go alone.

So we're going to the 5th class tomorrow night after missing half the class. We've received the paperwork for the third and fourth classes, so we've read through them. We'll see how it goes tomorrow night.

The Russian class fell through. Couldn't align my work schedule with the class schedule, unfortunately. I'm still working with the language daily, just not reading it much. In fact, I'm reading more Esperanto than anything else. 10 to 15 pages a day. I think my proficiency is increasing many-fold. In fact, just the speaking we do in class twice a week has really improved my comprehension. It's amazing how fast you can "acquire" Esperanto with just a few hours of speaking, even at the basic level. My understanding of the Pola-Retradio broadcasts are so much more improved. I should probably change my language plan from 2 weeks Eo and 6 weeks Russian to 2 weeks Russian to 6 weeks Esperanto!
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: So many languages, so little time. A(nother) language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby tarvos » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Esperanto is stupidly easy. I could speak it all right after minimal study, a one-hour introductory course, and a week at IJS in Hungary. After JES I was fluent.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 am

Class is progressing. My daughter is doing better and better. The best part is the new location: right by work! My daughter can get there right after I leave work, and we meet at the Burger King and go over our class notes. It's a short walk from the BK, less than 5 minutes. Wonderful!

Russian-wise, I went to a class with my wife and daughter on Monday. A very nice Russian teacher comes to the community and anyone can come by. The class is at the intermediate-level and I would call it too easy, except that this particular class was entirely on motion verbs, my most hated part of Russian grammar. So in short, the class was great!

In other news, just learned that the KER-ekzameno (skriba parto) will occur in Moscow in June! I'd love to do the full exam with speaking, but they don't give that here. That's ok. The writing/reading exam will be a nice challenge.
4 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:12 am

IronMike wrote:Class is progressing. My daughter is doing better and better. The best part is the new location: right by work! My daughter can get there right after I leave work, and we meet at the Burger King and go over our class notes. It's a short walk from the BK, less than 5 minutes. Wonderful!
Is there such a thing as Russian fast food?
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 am

Most definitely yes, just not between work and the class location.

In fact, there used to be a lot more options in Moscow. Used to have small stores/kiosks on the streets. But then the Night of the Long Shovels happened. Now the sidewalks are less cluttered but I literally have no idea where to get shoelaces or a quick блинчик с красной икрой. :lol:
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:28 pm

What a great week! This week was a double dose of days off, what with President's Day and Day of the Defender. I took Tuesday and Wednesday off, so I got the entire week off.

The wife and I spent some time in the local bookstore, Дом Книги. My favorite store when we last lived here. I managed to find a book on artificial languages, Конструирование Языков by Александр Пиперски. Just started it, and so far it is great. My linguistics-Russian is pretty high, probably C1+.

We also got a pile of great books in Russian for our kids. Москва для детей will be a text for our 17-year old, a page a day on the history of Moscow. История России (для детей и всрослых) for my wife, a 400+ page book on the history of Russia. The gem of the five books my wife bought is the История старой квартиры, about one Russian multi-roomed home through the ages (becoming three apartments during the Soviet times). Very nicely illustrated and written at a great level for the girls.

Even better, the wife and I went on a tour to Fedoskino, where they make incredible lacquer boxes. Had no idea they made the boxes out of cardboard. 15+ layers of cardboard, heated in a kiln. Hard as wood after. It takes 6 months to make one box. The artists all have to at least have graduated with their undergrad in art, preferably post-graduate. The company has a board of experienced artists who approve all boxes before they're lacquered. Yes...these things are expensive. The one my wife found and loved was $1200. No, we didn't buy it. The box was about 8 inches by 4. And beautiful. But, uh no. The best part of this though was the artist who gave us the tour. Her Russian was so clear and beautiful; great Russian practice.

This week also finished our Esperanto class. So now it is time to move to reading Russian. I did about 5 weeks straight of Esperanto and I must admit that my proficiency has increased. Now time to get back to Russian for a few weeks till the March Esperanto-Sumoo starts on 12 March. In other news, the KER reading/writing test in Esperanto will be 10 June. I've done some sample B2 tests and easily passed. Not sure I'm willing to try for the C1 test right off the bat, but I just might. I'll have a few more meetings of the EPoKo: Esperanto-Parolanta Klubo. While that'll mostly be practice in speaking and listening, it will help out my reading. I'll probably take one of the sample C1 tests in a month or so, after the March Sumoo, and see how I do. I don't have to pay for and choose which level I want to take until 1 May.

Unfortunately, the daughter and I must withdraw from the mid-east Esperanto conference in Georgia due to her job. But, we are cleared to attend the Scottish and British Esperanto conference that Radioclare is hosting in Edinburgh. So excited, and my daughter is feeling a lot more comfortable going to a predominantly English speaking country for her first Eo conference.
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 pm

IronMike wrote:Unfortunately, the daughter and I must withdraw from the mid-east Esperanto conference in Georgia due to her job. But, we are cleared to attend the Scottish and British Esperanto conference that Radioclare is hosting in Edinburgh. So excited, and my daughter is feeling a lot more comfortable going to a predominantly English speaking country for her first Eo conference.

That's a shame about Georgia but very excited to hear that you can both come to Edinburgh :D
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm

So we went to a ballet at the Bolshoi, but not really at the Bolshoi.

Let me explain:

When we last lived here, the Bolshoi Theater was under construction. It opened again a few months before we left, but by that point all shows were sold out. We thought we'd lost our chance to ever go to the Bolshoi.

Well, we're back, and about a month ago I got us tickets to see "The Bright Stream/Светлой ручей," a comedic ballet by Dmitry Shostakovich. It was awesome and very good. The girls loved it.

But it wasn't in the Bolshoi.

You see, there is the historical theater and the новая сцена. The new stage is in a building right next door to the Bolshoi. Unbeknownst to me, there were the two locations. After realizing this, I checked the tickets, and sure enough they say "new stage." Dammit. We'll have to go again. ;)
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

So this is the coolest.

Got the following in the mail recently. This is the back page of a medical claim form. Check out all those languages on offer!

Awesome! I could spend days having fun with this document. Page 2:

And my favorite is the last language in the list:

3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm

That's so cool. I bet it is really tempting to call them up and just chit chat. When they get sick of you, you can hang up and try the next language :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”