IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: My Scanner Life. IronMike's 2022 log (EO,RUS, who knows what else)

Postby IronMike » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:10 am

w00t! Took my annual Russian DLPT and OPI this week. OPI of course takes a week or two to get the results; hoping to keep my 2+ but wouldn't be surprised if I dropped to a 2 this year. Ugh, how come when I get on that phone all I can do is repeat the same words over and over?!

On Wednesday and Thursday mornings I took the listening and reading DLPTs. Last year while deployed to Africa I managed my first ever 3/3 (since taking this annual test since 1987). Thought that might have been a fluke so was quite happy to get a 3/3 again this year!

For my non-ILR knowledgable friends out there, here's what a 3 in listening and reading mean:

Reading 3 (General Professional Proficiency) Able to read within a normal range of speed and with almost complete comprehension a variety of authentic prose material on unfamiliar subjects. Reading ability is not dependent on subject matter knowledge, although it is not expected that the individual can comprehend thoroughly subject matter which is highly dependent on cultural knowledge or which is outside his/her general experience and not accompanied by explanation. Text-types include news stories similar to wire service reports or international news items in major periodicals, routine correspondence, general reports, and technical material in his/her professional field; all of these may include hypothesis, argumentation and supported opinions. Misreading rare. Almost always able to interpret material correctly, relate ideas and "read between the lines," (that is, understand the writers' implicit intents in text of the above types). Can get the gist of more sophisticated texts, but may be unable to detect or understand subtlety and nuance. Rarely has to pause over or reread general vocabulary. However, may experience some difficulty with unusually complex structure and low frequency idioms.

Listening 3 (General Professional Proficiency) Able to understand the essentials of all speech in a standard dialect including technical discussions within a special field. Has effective understanding of face-to-face speech, delivered with normal clarity and speed in a standard dialect on general topics and areas of special interest; understands hypothesizing and supported opinions. Has broad enough vocabulary that rarely has to ask for paraphrasing or explanation. Can follow accurately the essentials of conversations between educated native speakers, reasonably clear telephone calls, radio broadcasts, news stories similar to wire service reports, oral reports, some oral technical reports and public addresses on non-technical subjects; can understand without difficulty all forms of standard speech concerning a special professional field. Does not understand native speakers if they speak very quickly or use some slang or dialect. Can often detect emotional overtones. Can understand implications.

So what does IronMike do after "recertifying" his 3/3? Take the upper range DLPT in reading of course! And the very next day (today) because, why not? The upper range tests you to the 3-4 range. You have to get a 3 in the lower range before they'll allow you to take the upper range. You could miss every single question and get a 3 on the upper range. Which is pretty much what I did today.

The lower range reading had somewhere around 38 passages and 60-ish questions and you had 3 hours to complete it. The upper range had 13 passages and 38 questions and Yes, you still had 3 hours. It took me an hour to do the first 4 passages! Terribly difficult. I can't get into specifics, but if I take it again next year, I'm going to up the difficulty of my reading in preparation! Let's just say: I got a 3 at the end of the 165 minutes of headache-inducing reading. ))

Another year, another 3/3. Will report back when my OPI score comes back. Knock on wood!
13 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:35 am

Awesome! And in Russian! A very important language these days and always.
1 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:15 pm

sfuqua wrote:Awesome! And in Russian! A very important language these days and always.

Thank you sir! I mean: Спасибо, сэр!
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:35 pm

Well done, indeed, Mike. Good luck on the tests.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:00 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Well done, indeed, Mike. Good luck on the tests.

Thanks! Tests are all done for the year.
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:01 am

OK, this is funny.

15 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:48 pm

At least six others saw your image, but I cannot. Another 503 error?
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:43 am

Поздравляю, Майк! 8-)
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:50 am

Thanks all! (And I have no idea why you can't see the image, Mork?!)

Got confirmation today that I earned a 2+ on the OPI. Thank goodness. I was afraid I had dropped to a 2. So to keep up the theme, here is what the Interagency Language Roundtable says you have to be able to do to get a 2+ in speaking:

Speaking 2+ (Limited Working Proficiency, Plus) Able to satisfy most work requirements with language usage that is often, but not always, acceptable and effective. The individual shows considerable ability to communicate effectively on topics relating to particular interests and special fields of competence. Often shows a high degree of fluency and ease of speech, yet when under tension or pressure, the ability to use the language effectively may deteriorate. Comprehension of normal native speech is typically nearly complete. The individual may miss cultural and local references and may require a native speaker to adjust to his/her limitations in some ways. Native speakers often perceive the individual's speech to contain awkward or inaccurate phrasing of ideas, mistaken time, space and person references, or to be in some way inappropriate, if not strictly incorrect. Examples: Typically the individual can participate in most social, formal, and informal interactions, but limitations either in range of contexts, types of tasks or level of accuracy hinder effectiveness. The individual may be ill at ease with the use of the language either in social interaction or in speaking at length in professional contexts. He/she is generally strong in either structural precision or vocabulary, but not in both. Weakness or unevenness in one of the foregoing, or in pronunciation, occasionally results in miscommunication. Normally controls, but cannot always easily produce general vocabulary. Discourse is often incohesive.
8 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:09 am

Congrats! My life goals are to be

awkward or inaccurate [in] phrasing of ideas, mistaken time, space and person references, or to be in some way inappropriate, if not strictly incorrect.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language logs”