IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: So many languages, so little time. A(nother) language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:32 pm

IronMike wrote:First off, my cognate problem reared its ugly head when it took me a minute to realize when they said Вайнштайн they were talking about Harvey Weinstein.
FWIW the default Russian pronunciation of this surname is "Вайнштейн", likely reflecting the Yiddish pronunciation. The only people who would pronounce both diphthongs as "ай" would probably be serious sticklers for standard German pronunciation, where the Middle High German ī and ei have merged into ei (/aɪ̯/). But yeah, pronouncing it as "Уайнстин" will probably get you blank stares from most Russians.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: So many languages, so little time. A(nother) language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby IronMike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:26 am

They probably even pronounced it that way. Wouldn't have helped me either way with my cognate issue. ;)
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:01 am

No class this week as I was out sick yday and Friday is a holiday. But that didn't stop my teacher from giving me homework. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but my homework is to watch this короткометражку "5 минут" on youtube. Anyone seen it?

My reading is progressing in my Таня Гроттер book. It is so much like HP (plagiarism, much?). SPOILERS FOLLOW:

The whole first chapter follows the head of the wizarding school (old male witch) talking with a female professor from the school about what to do with the daughter of a magical couple who were killed by...wait for it...Та-Кого-Нет. The school headmaster is not afraid to call her by her name (Чума-дел-Торт). They decide to give the girl to a distant cousin of the murdered couple, and he appears to be an idiot.

But the funniest part, and most Russian part of this first chapter so far, is when the female professor chides the headmaster several times to zip up his coat or else he's going to catch a cold. (A very Russian-babushka-esque thing to do.) And then when the headmaster gets up from the park bench to walk away and sneezes, the professors yells at him: "Я же говорила: вы простудитесь!" укоризненно сказала Медузия.

That is so freaking Russian it killed me. One of these days I'm gonna find the Russian book we got our daughters when they started years ago. In it are a bunch of illustrations; it's a book for Russian elementary school kids learning proper Russian. In one series of two pictures there's Boris (or some other generic Russian boy name) walking around outside where the wind is blowing with his jacket not zipped up. In the next picture he's lying in bed with a cold!

If none of this makes sense to you, I have to tell you that "catching your death" from various different things is common here. And if the babushka or dedushka tells you to zip up, you damn well better do it. Some examples:

We had our daughters with us walking around Moscow in the not-too-cold winter (mid-30's F). They had coats on, but neither had hats or their hoods up. They were walking in front of us maybe 5 meters or so. A young couple of Russian ladies (mid 20's?) walked past me and my wife and ask they approached our daughters, each lady took a hood of our girls and flipped it up on their heads. They did this w/o interrupting their own conversation or even talking to us. It was just matter of fact.

On another occasion, my son and I were walking to school. He must have been 11 at the time. I noticed his shoe was untied. I told him he should tie it. "The lace is short dad, I won't trip and I don't want to take my gloves off." I noticed a grandpa coming up the road towards us. "Son, I bet that dedushka is gonna say smthg." Sure enough, by the time grandpa got close to us, he started yelling and me and my son for him walking around with untied shoelaces. And he sure as hell stood there until my son tied his shoes.

This is one of the reasons I love Russians. This and their old wives' tales. (Don't sit on cold concrete ladies, or your uterus will fall out. Don't sit at a table in front of a crack are on the corner. Bad things happen!)
8 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am

This is one of the reasons I love Russians. This and their old wives' tales. (Don't sit on cold concrete ladies, or your uterus will fall out. Don't sit at a table in front of a crack are on the corner. Bad things happen!)

I've never heard the first one, actually, but the second one is so true!
And never spill the salt! Though, in case you did, you just have to throw a handful of it behind your left shoulder :D
4 x

LinguaPony
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (Proficient), Italian (Intermediate), M. Chinese (Beginner), German (Just started), Yiddish (half-cooked A1, long since forgotten, but now queued for revival)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7160

Postby LinguaPony » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm

IronMike wrote:(Don't sit on cold concrete ladies, or your uterus will fall out. Don't sit at a table in front of a crack are on the corner. Bad things happen!)

From what I've heard you shouldn't sit on the corner because if you do, you'll never get married. But if you are already married, it's okay.
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 pm

LinguaPony wrote:
IronMike wrote:(Don't sit on cold concrete ladies, or your uterus will fall out. Don't sit at a table in front of a crack are on the corner. Bad things happen!)

From what I've heard you shouldn't sit on the corner because if you do, you'll never get married. But if you are already married, it's okay.

Yep, and I think the crack means you won't get pregnant.
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:03 pm

IronMike wrote:This is one of the reasons I love Russians. This and their old wives' tales. (Don't sit on cold concrete ladies, or your uterus will fall out.)

2 x
How yes no.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am

3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:56 am

reineke wrote:"Čizma glavu čuva..."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most- ... thing-ever

Yep, the Slavic squat. So very Slavic. I've seen it passed on to other cultures, as well, and was surprised one day driving around Kyrgyzstan when I saw a whole Kyrgyz family (6 strong) and mom was out there by the side of the car squatting with her husband and sons...
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:56 am

In Germany this week and listening to German...damn I miss this language! No, I'm not gonna start studying, but I'd love an excuse to. Maybe sometime in the future a job here will happen. ;)
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”