IronMike's 2023 log: Fewer means better, right? (EO & RUS)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Re: So many languages, so little time. IronMike's 2018 language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:10 pm

We've moved a lot, but never so quickly. I can only imagine...
Best of luck to you.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: So many languages, so little time. IronMike's 2018 language log (RU, EO, maybe some others)

Postby Ogrim » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am

IronMike wrote:
Ani wrote:Aww. Hope the transition goes smoothly. It is hard to believe the time has gone so quickly. From my position as a log spectator, it feels like you only just got there. Curious to see where life takes you next.

I did just get here! I still have six months. But I'm part of the 60 who've been kicked out in reciprocation for us kicking out 60 of their diplomats.

That is a shame! I'll stay well away from commenting on the politics, just want to wish you all the best in your new destination, wherever it will be. And keep on learning Russian!
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 am

Well, we're all out of Russia, the 60 undesirables. It was a crap week from last Thursday (March 29th) when we found out we were on the list to this past Thursday morning (April 5th)*. Somehow, the embassy managed to get 60 families' worth of household goods and vehicles processed and packed out. An amazing feat if ever I've seen one (this move being mine and my family's 17th move, not counting inter-assignment moves when we had to move from one house to another, which would add another 3 to the count). Everyone at the embassy was so great in taking care of the 138 folks (and 37 pets!) affected by the expulsions. Politics sucks.

And now my family and I are reveling in the comfort of my sister-in-law's hospitality, and it feels so good. Liberating. Warm.

I will miss Russia. (Not the government or the politics.) I will miss the people. I will miss the food. The culture. Moscow. The language. (No, I'm not going to continue. At least not for a while, and please don't try to talk me into it. I need a break.)

We are still in a state of flux as this PNG has thrown a wrench into our plans to move to Boston in August. We will see what the next few months brings as I take some much needed time off. Language-wise, I know the family and I will start working on Spanish. We want our first vacation, whenever that will be, to be in the western hemisphere discovering some of our neighborhood. Costa Rica? Chile? Argentina? Mexico? Location undetermined. Language...está decidido!

*Ignore this fake news report. The idiot journalist filmed U.S. embassy children on the buses that take them to school every morning. The pictures in this crap report were taken the day prior to the day we all left! My DD and her friends had a laugh riot in our house the night of the 4th when they saw one of their classmates in the article; the "boy" in the second picture. Great reporting and fact-checking, Sara Malm!
14 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:34 pm

I can definitely understand why you'll be leaving Russian for the time being, though I admit, I'll miss your updates! Good luck with Spanish and enjoy your break!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm 9 days into Duolingo Spanish. So far so good. Not sure if from taking Spanish in the early '80s or from my Esperanto, but so far it is easy. Otra vez, it's because I'm only a bit into the tree.
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Re: So many languages, so little time. IronMike's 2018 language log

Postby IronMike » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Found a new section of Duolingo: Stories. I went to the Spanish section. A bit above my head right now, but I will keep going back to see if I've got the lexicon to understand them and then start working on them.

It also dawned on me recently that I'm now in the states...the land of Spanish subtitles for pretty much everything. So...I will now start setting all my shows to Spanish subs!
5 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 am

Languages, politics... Don't get me started! We are watching developements with great interest in this part of the world, I'm sure you know why. If only people just focused on the good things, like languages for example.

You'll get back in Russia soon I hope. Politicians minds change quickly.
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 am

You and your family have been in my thoughts a lot. I hope all is going well with the adjustments. Can't quite say what you want to say on a public board:-/.

I'm interested by your choice of Spanish as the next language. It's the only one I've vowed never to learn.. but then someone whose language choices I always admire picks it up.. I'll be watching closely :)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am

Ani wrote:I'm interested by your choice of Spanish as the next language. It's the only one I've vowed never to learn.. but then someone whose language choices I always admire picks it up.. I'll be watching closely :)

Intriguing!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 am

Sorry guys, been out for a while. Thanks for responding to my log!

Spanish, ani, mostly because it is ubiquitous in the US. We can get input everywhere we turn, what with all the television channels, radio and subtitle choices. And the IronMike Family is going to concentrate on their neighbors for family vacations in the future. Costa Rica, quizás?

What have I been doing? Still living out of suitcases, that's what. Therefore, Duolingo is my life now. 23-day streak as of today. Only a little bit through the tree; some days I can only do one lesson, others - more. Not sure what resources I'll use once we get settled somewhere.
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”