Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Daniel N. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:16 am

I will use Clare's blog to share something definitely more important, culturally and ethnographically, than Thompson or most of Croatian pop: here's how traditional folk songs from some regions (it's not really Croatian-specific) sound like. We know it's an ancient custom, since its usual name, ganga, is pre-Slavic; it's also called simply singing. But it's not easy listening in any way :D

3 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:49 am

Daniel N. wrote:I will use Clare's blog to share something definitely more important, culturally and ethnographically, than Thompson or most of Croatian pop: here's how traditional folk songs from some regions (it's not really Croatian-specific) sound like. We know it's an ancient custom, since its usual name, ganga, is pre-Slavic; it's also called simply singing. But it's not easy listening in any way :D

Yikes.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Daniel N. wrote:I will use Clare's blog to share something definitely more important, culturally and ethnographically, than Thompson or most of Croatian pop: here's how traditional folk songs from some regions (it's not really Croatian-specific) sound like. We know it's an ancient custom, since its usual name, ganga, is pre-Slavic; it's also called simply singing. But it's not easy listening in any way :D

Yikes.

I didn't think it was possible but you managed to post something which made me think "Actually, maybe Thompson's music isn't so bad after all!" :lol:
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Radioclare wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

Yikes.

I didn't think it was possible but you managed to post something which made me think "Actually, maybe Thompson's music isn't so bad after all!" :lol:

I kind of liked it, but I'm still glad they aren't my neighbors.
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Rera singing

Bećarac singing and playing from Eastern Croatia

Real life taunting through song

1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:30 pm

As predicted, yesterday was a day of work. I started the day with 123 things on my must-do-before-I-go-on-holiday-list and by midnight I only had 43 left. So now I feel a little less stressed :) Which is almost worth losing a Saturday for :? Because I got so much done yesterday, I was able to have a work-free day today and spend the morning doing housework and the afternoon sorting out my travel arrangements. Although at the moment I feel a bit like going on holiday is more stress than it's worth because there's so much that has to be done beforehand, I am actually very excited about going to Portugal because it's a completely new country for me and one of the last 'obvious' countries in Europe that I haven't been to yet :) We are flying to Porto originally, then travelling on to Coimbra and Lisbon, before flying to Madrid and then home.

I was looking at train timetables and tickets on the Portuguese train website today and it seemed very nice and easy to use. Unlike the Spanish website, which I hate. I had so many problems planning train travel in Spain when I went in 2014 that I ended up travelling across half the country by bus instead. So I was relieved to find that booking train tickets in Portugal is straight forward (and can be done in English :lol:)

I also spent an hour reading in Croatian today and finished 'Krstitelj' by Miro Gavran. As I mentioned in a previous post, this is a really interesting novel about the life of John the Baptist, from the perspectives of three different people whose lives were intertwined with his. Initially I found it a bit heavy going, partly because of the writing style which is quite formal/old-fashioned and partly because I think it always takes a while to get into a book which is telling a story with three different characters; just when you become interested in one character, it always jumps to another one. Also I always think it's a bit weird to read a story when you already know how it ends; a bit like watching Titantic :lol: But by the time I got halfway through the book I was hooked, and it was actually really enjoyable to read a story like this written in a way that made the characters seem very human. I would recommend it. And the good news is that now I've finished it, I'm on 200 books for the Super Challenge :)
6 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 am

Radioclare wrote:I didn't think it was possible but you managed to post something which made me think "Actually, maybe Thompson's music isn't so bad after all!" :lol:

The more original, traditional music it is, it's less influenced by western harmonies and tones, and often sounds really weird. That's why I have first posted two traditions which are best sounding to ears accustomed to modern music. This is also quite ancient, it doesn't use the western music scale (BTW how much do you understand the talk?)

2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Radioclare on old HTLAL wrote: I watched one more episode of 'Budva na pjenu od mora'. My comprehension of this is quite high now, but I was really confused in this episode by a scene in a pharmacy where it sounded like one of the more elderly characters had come in to buy something called "farin". After a lot of googling, I think perhaps it was warfarin!
Haha I didn't bother to check what it is, I figured it must be some well-known medication that the elderly take :D

Also completely unrelated, but last year I asked about a Serbian cyrillic note and never got a reply... should've asked here I guess :D
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:15 pm

Serpent wrote:Haha I didn't bother to check what it is, I figured it must be some well-known medication that the elderly take :D

Also completely unrelated, but last year I asked about a Serbian cyrillic note and never got a reply... should've asked here I guess :D

It took me some time to decipher it, but I still can't figure out the first word. Such a weird style. I spent about five minutes trying to figure out the last name of the person at the beginning of the sentence because I thought those were capital letters, and then I figured out that it actually says "пријатељства".

Edit: Hell, maybe it doesn't say "пријатељства". Maybe it is a name. I give up.

"Дра..??? пријатељства?? у Перунки у знак сећања на пријатно проведене тренутке."

4 x
How yes no.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 am

Awww thanks!
Can it be dragim prijateljima in the beginning?
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Language logs”