Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Robierre wrote:Nisam ni ja znao da je Algoritam propao. :mrgreen: To je inače izvorno bila knjižara za strane knjige, tek kasnije su počeli izdavati prijevode na hrvatski (ništa interesantno, čini mi se). Nažalost, u malim gradovima se puno knjižara zatvorilo. Vjerujem da je slično u Dubrovniku, pogotovo jer je to grad koji je dosta okrenut ponudi za turiste.

Bajke i basne ti vjerojatno neće imati puno svakodnevnog hrvatskog kojeg učiš iz serija, ali mislim da su dobra stvar za učenje književnog jezika. Ali varka je da imaju jednostavan vokabular; često se u njima koriste arhaične riječi da se priča približi davnim vremenima. :D

Sretna sam da nisam jedina koja nije znala :lol: Čini se da je propao prilično nedavno, u svibnju. Čitala sam negdje da je lanac imao otprilike četrdeset trgovina i da su se ljudi nadali da bi jedan drugi izdavač mogao preuzeti barem nekoliko knjižara, ali ne znam da li se to dogodilo. Žene iz druge knjižare u Dubrovniku rekla mi je da joj Algoritam nikada nije bio nikakva konkurencija jer nije prodao knjige za pametne ljude :lol: Ali ipak je tužno vidjeti zatvorene knjižare.

Iskreno se nadam da vokabular u bajkama neće biti previše težak, jer ionako čitam ćirilicu kao šestogodišnjakinja.... tj. jako jako sporo :lol:
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Russian
So, I'm supposed to be starting Russian again!

I spent some time at the weekend thinking about how best to approach this and realised that I don't genuinely feel a huge amount of enthusiasm for Russian right now because I am still so excited about my recent trip to Croatia and Montenegro. I especially didn't feel much enthusiasm to going back to my half-started copy of 'Teach Yourself Russian' which has been sitting on my coffee table gathering dust and reproaching me for several months. So I decided to try and generate some new enthusiasm by allowing myself to start 'Colloquial Russian' instead, because it's a well-known fact that starting a new language book is more exciting than finishing one you've already started :lol:

I've made myself a list of very simple goals which I want to try and accomplish with Russian this week. My first one is just to refresh my Cyrillic typing skills, which were quite good at one point but have now regressed a bit; partly from lack of use since I finished Russian Duolingo and partly because I have a new laptop and all the keys seem to be in slightly different places, so I keep mistyping things even on my Croatian keyboard, never mind on the Russian one.

I have a backlog of over 1,000 words to review on my Croatian Memrise courses, which I made some progress with on my commute this morning, and when I've finished those I will start doing Russian Memrise again. I figured that given Colloquial books are normally quite popular, someone would hopefully have already typed all the vocab up into a Memrise course which I could use instead of making my own... Someone has indeed created a course.... But when I started trying to use it I was really confused because they've made it the wrong way round (so that you have to type the English rather than the Russian) :roll: So now I have a licence to waste hours of my time making a more useful version of the course.
6 x

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

Radioclare wrote:Russian
So, I'm supposed to be starting Russian again!

I spent some time at the weekend thinking about how best to approach this and realised that I don't genuinely feel a huge amount of enthusiasm for Russian right now because I am still so excited about my recent trip to Croatia and Montenegro. I especially didn't feel much enthusiasm to going back to my half-started copy of 'Teach Yourself Russian' which has been sitting on my coffee table gathering dust and reproaching me for several months.

Did you ever consider focusing on Croatian-Russian differences, i.e. using Croatian/Serbian as a starting point for Russian? It would maybe work for written language, I admit spoken is too different.
2 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Robierre
Green Belt
Languages: Speaking: Croatian (N)
Learning: French (C2), Polish (B1)
Using: English
On hold: German (B2), Italian (C1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=941

Postby Robierre » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Sretna sam da nisam jedina koja nije znala :lol: Čini se da je propao prilično nedavno, u svibnju. Čitala sam negdje da je lanac imao otprilike četrdeset trgovina i da su se ljudi nadali da bi jedan drugi izdavač mogao preuzeti barem nekoliko knjižara, ali ne znam da li se to dogodilo. Žena iz druge knjižare u Dubrovniku rekla mi je da joj Algoritam nikada nije bio nikakva konkurencija jer nije prodavao knjige za pametne ljude :lol: Ali ipak je tužno vidjeti zatvorene knjižare.

Iskreno se nadam da vokabular u bajkama neće biti previše težak, jer ionako čitam ćirilicu kao šestogodišnjakinja.... tj. jako jako sporo :lol:

Skoro bez greške, super! Ćirilicu i ja jako sporo čitam, mislim da je stvar prakse.
2 x
Si ce n'est toi, qui le fera? Si pas maintenant, quand sera-ce?

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Oh dear, another month seems to have passed and I've forgot to do an update on my goals... :oops:

Goal 1 - Read 10 books in German
No German books read in June. To be honest, I've hardly read anything at all in any language in June. I'm still on four German novels for the year so far and definitely planning to read a fifth one in July, because I've got one more week at work and then I'm going to France for a week :)

Goal 2 - Try not to forget any more Esperanto
June was a little bit less traumatic Esperanto-wise than May had been but Esperanto-related problems have still been dominating my thoughts too much. In terms of actually speaking the language... we had a trustee working weekend during June and I did end up speaking some Esperanto socially to a few people, although the language of the meeting itself was English. Speaking Esperanto felt fine after having been to the conference and everything in May. But the way I feel at the moment, my goal for 2018 might actually be to forget Esperanto completely :lol:

Goal 3 - Increase my Croatian vocabulary
Time spent on Memrise remained pitiful during June. What I realised when I was on holiday though is that my passive vocabulary was big enough to understand almost everything people said to me and it's big enough to understand the vast majority of words used in the TV series I've been watching too. It's still nowhere near big enough to look at a random page of a novel and be able to define every word though and so those more difficult words that don't crop up in every day conversation are the ones I really need to work on. I should get back to using LWT again but I've got a new laptop and have been procrastinating getting it all set up again.

Goal 4 - Read at least 4,200 pages in Croatian
In Montenegro I finally finished reading the novel 'Muzej revolucije' by Pavao Pavličić. I'd read 78 pages during May and it was a 303-page book in total, so 225 during June. That brings me up to 3,051 pages for the year.

Goal 5 - Listen to/watch at least 9,990 minutes of Croatian TV/films/audiobooks
I listened to one more audiobook before I went to Croatia - Velika Četvorka - which was 361 minutes. I also watched six more episodes of my new series 'Zora Dubrovačka' which came to 262 minutes, so 623 minutes for the month. That brings me up to 5,480 minutes for the year to date, or 91.3 hours. I *think* I'll just about reach this goal by the end of the year.

Goal 6 - Do better than last year at Croatian output
I wrote a few emails to sort out the logistics of the apartments I was renting while I was away; arranging arrival times, airport transfers and that sort of thing, but that's all.

Goal 7 - Learn enough Russian to feel confident enough to take my Mom to St Petersburg.
Russian continued to be on hold for June, but now it's July I've officially started again :)
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:28 pm

I was hoping you'd find the stuff I gave you helpful :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Serpent wrote:I was hoping you'd find the stuff I gave you helpful :D

So far I have found the handwriting books extremely helpful :) And I haven't learned enough to find everything else helpful yet... but I will... one day!

Also I can't believe it must be more than a year ago now since Toulouse :shock:

Daniel N. wrote:
Radioclare wrote:RussianDid you ever consider focusing on Croatian-Russian differences, i.e. using Croatian/Serbian as a starting point for Russian? It would maybe work for written language, I admit spoken is too different.

No, I haven't really thought of that as a strategy; at least not at the beginning. I am just hoping that Croatian will make it quicker/less painful for me to learn some of the Russian vocabulary. The pronunciation of Russian is what scares me the most, so I'm trying not to learn any new words without learning how they sound as well. But if I can get to a basic level in Russian, I would definitely be interested in buying a Russian textbook for Croatian-speakers next time I am in Zagreb, or somewhere else with big bookshops.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Russian
I haven't quite met all the goals I set for myself this week, but I haven't done too badly.

My first aim was that I wanted to refresh my rusty Cyrillic typing skills. These were rusty partly from disuse over the past couple of months and partly because I have a new computer with a different keyboard and I haven't put any Cyrillic stickers on the keys. I've devoted half an hour or so each evening this week to working my way through the exercises in the "Keyboard Tsar" programme and now I feel I'm back up to the speed where I was before. Plus I've learned how to do punctuation, which I hadn't mastered last time around :)

I did have a very frustrating moment the other day, when I couldn't work out why the programme was marking my combination of ыч as being incorrect, even when I looked at my fingers to make doubly sure I was pressing the right keys. It took about 24 hours before I realised I had Tajpi running in the background and that thought I was typing sx, which of course it automatically corrects to ŝ :lol:

I haven't reviewed any Russian vocabulary on Memrise since April or May. I had been working my way through Memrise's own Russian courses, which are really useful and feature videos with native speakers. I decided to wipe my progress with these completely and start again at the beginning, so I'm currently approximately 100 words into the Russian 1 course.

As threatened, I've started creating my own Memrise course for the vocab from Colloquial Russian, and so far I've entered the words from the pronunciation chapter at the beginning of the book, then uploaded audio from Forvo for each word. I'm going to bring Colloquial Russian with me to France next weekend, with the hope that I end up with some downtime that I can devote to making progress with it.

Croatian
On my commutes this week, I cleared my Memrise backlog which was in excess of 1,000 items :shock:

Otherwise I've just been watching an episode or two of 'Zora Dubrovačka' every day. I have so many notes of points I want to comment on re this new series, but I haven't found the time yet :(

I've also been listening to quite a bit of new (to me) music on Youtube recently, and found three more songs this week which I really like. The first is by a band with the ominous name of M.O.R.T and is called 'Meni se skače' (I feel like jumping); despite the slightly ominous name of the band, this is one I've been listening to to lift my mood this week :)

The second is called 'Biram' (I choose) by a band called Detour and this is probably the one I've had on repeat the most this week. It seems like quite a political song and it has some really great lyrics; my favourite is "..glupost je ko ljubav, neuništiva.." (stupidity is like love, indestructible).

The third one is a song called 'Lovrinac' by Dječaci and this is my guilty pleasure of the week; it's so bad it's good :D Lovrinac is the name of a cemetery in Split and the song is basically about all the deceased criminals who are now living there. Please don't watch the video if you're going to be upset by repeated images of people being shot or by scenes of dancing zombies. But if you're brave enough to give it a go, you can click to get English subtitles to enjoy the black humour of the lyrics. I have to say, if I hadn't already been to Split many times I might now feel like it was a terrifying hotbed of crime, but it's actually a pretty safe city compared to pretty much any city in the UK :lol:

6 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:12 am

It's your fault I had to create a playlist for Croatian music on YouTube. I think we all know where this will lead.....
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:00 am

Brun Ugle wrote:It's your fault I had to create a playlist for Croatian music on YouTube. I think we all know where this will lead.....

My evil plan is working... :twisted:
6 x

Return to “Language logs”