Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:13 pm

Radioclare wrote:At least, not in Montenegro. I don't think I've ever met an Esperanto speaker from Montenegro, so I do wonder how many people watching Budva knew what they were talking about :lol:

Reminds me on what I think vonPeterhof posted? Something about fansubbing anime mostly, but the point was that people want to seem "in the know" so they're more willing to look up unfamiliar words from movies/series now that you can easily do it on your phone/tablet :D
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:40 am

Radioclare wrote:In other news, I have finished reading 'Farma' by Tom Rob Smith, and it was a really exciting book. It's sort of a psychological thriller, about a guy whose parents retire to a remote farm in Sweden, which is supposed to be their dream, but it all goes wrong when his mother apparently starts to lose her mind and starts making accusations against people in their new community. Is she genuinely unwell as everyone says? Or are there really secret crimes being committed in this idyllic part of Sweden? It's an exciting thriller right up to the end :) Though, slightly unnervingly, my reading of it coincided with a series of conversations with my other half about whether we might be able to move abroad, probably also to somewhere quite remote, within the next six years. In theory I would love to do that, but the book did make me think twice :lol:

Sweden and Norway seem to have a lot of rather violent fictional crime in spite of not have very much in real life. So, I always think that people in other countries reading those novels and seeing those movies must have a very distorted view of what life is like here. The scariest place to move though, must be a quaint English village. Some of them seem to have at least one murder every week. And if you live in a little village with only a few hundred inhabitants and there are murders occurring every week, you know your turn is bound to come up pretty quickly. :shock:
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Sweden and Norway seem to have a lot of rather violent fictional crime in spite of not have very much in real life. So, I always think that people in other countries reading those novels and seeing those movies must have a very distorted view of what life is like here. The scariest place to move though, must be a quaint English village. Some of them seem to have at least one murder every week. And if you live in a little village with only a few hundred inhabitants and there are murders occurring every week, you know your turn is bound to come up pretty quickly. :shock:

I agree about English villages :)

The first time I went to Sweden, I was having a brilliant time walking through a forest.... and then I remembered an episode of Wallander I'd watched recently where someone was murdered in an identical-looking forest and it no longer felt quite so fun :lol:
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:The scariest place to move though, must be a quaint English village. Some of them seem to have at least one murder every week. And if you live in a little village with only a few hundred inhabitants and there are murders occurring every week, you know your turn is bound to come up pretty quickly. :shock:

My area could be a candidate - at least four Swedish crime writers let their novels take place on my island. (Last week, they filmed a couple of scenes for one of them - at my work... :roll: )
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:39 pm

Seriously you guys watch to much TV. Murder Rates per 100,000 inhabitants.

UK - 0.92
Sweden - 1.52
Croatia - 0.87
Norway - 0.56

The places you should be concerned about are:
Venezuela - 57.15
Elizabeth Salvador - 108.64
Jamaica - 43.21

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... icide_rate
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:00 pm

rdearman wrote:Seriously you guys watch to much TV. Murder Rates per 100,000 inhabitants.

UK - 0.92
Sweden - 1.52
Croatia - 0.87
Norway - 0.56

Venezuela - 57.15
Jamaica - 43.21

You're overlooking the specific geography. Break out english villages from the UK stats and you'll see the rural population is living in a society where murder is as common as rain, with Bad Eggs everywhichway.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:00 am

Brun Ugle wrote:The scariest place to move though, must be a quaint English village. Some of them seem to have at least one murder every week. And if you live in a little village with only a few hundred inhabitants and there are murders occurring every week, you know your turn is bound to come up pretty quickly. :shock:

But you'll have such a dramatic life before you die - love affairs til you drop.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:04 pm

rdearman wrote:Seriously you guys watch to much TV. Murder Rates per 100,000 inhabitants.

UK - 0.92
Sweden - 1.52
Croatia - 0.87
Norway - 0.56

Venezuela - 57.15
Jamaica - 43.21

Elizabeth Salvador? Who is she? A Central American serial killer? With a name like Elizabeth, I'm guessing she was born in a quaint English village where her grandmother taught her to make delicious poisoned biscuits. Then she grew up, married a Señor Salvador, and moved to Central America to start her reign of terror.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:

My area could be a candidate - at least four Swedish crime writers let their novels take place on my island. (Last week, they filmed a couple of scenes for one of them - at my work... :roll: )

Ooo. I'll have to check those out. Who are the writers? I just finished a Swedish crime novel, but it was in Norwegian because I got it from the library and they don't have untranslated Swedish or Danish novels. It was also a "cozy" or fairly cozy anyway, which I think is pretty unusual for Scandinavian crime fiction.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Ooo. I'll have to check those out. Who are the writers? I just finished a Swedish crime novel, but it was in Norwegian because I got it from the library and they don't have untranslated Swedish or Danish novels. It was also a "cozy" or fairly cozy anyway, which I think is pretty unusual for Scandinavian crime fiction.

Anna Jansson (whose nth book is being filmed now), Mari Jungstedt (her books have also been adapted to film by Germans, and then re-dubbed into Swedish... :? ), Håkan Östlundh (whose team we beat during a Crime Quiz two years ago 8-) ) and Marianne Cedervall (whom I know nothing about). I haven't read a single line by any of these authors. Which one did you read?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:16 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Ooo. I'll have to check those out. Who are the writers? I just finished a Swedish crime novel, but it was in Norwegian because I got it from the library and they don't have untranslated Swedish or Danish novels. It was also a "cozy" or fairly cozy anyway, which I think is pretty unusual for Scandinavian crime fiction.

Anna Jansson (whose nth book is being filmed now), Mari Jungstedt (her books have also been adapted to film by Germans, and then re-dubbed into Swedish... :? ), Håkan Östlundh (whose team we beat during a Crime Quiz two years ago 8-) ) and Marianne Cedervall (whom I know nothing about). I haven't read a single line by any of these authors. Which one did you read?

The book I just finished reading was Pastor Viveka och tanterna by Annette Haaland. It's her first book and takes place in Enskede in Stockholm. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did, I enjoyed it. And it wasn't scary, unlike a lot of Scandinavian crime novels.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”