Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions :)

DaveBee wrote:Could you procrastinate in Russian instead? Russian twitter, Russian Facebook, Russian celeb gossip etc.?

Sadly my Russian isn't good enough yet to be very useful for procrastination. But I am getting quite good at procrastinating by reading Croatian news on Twitter :lol:

Brun Ugle wrote:If you do decide you want the Glossika course, now is the time to get it, while they have a 40%-off sale. They will be gone forever after the sale. I'm trying to figure out how much I can afford to spend and what languages I most want. Unfortunately, the answer to that question seems to be, "all of them."

I know, I am still tempted to get Slovene before they all disappear. Especially because Slovene seems like a language where there aren't tonnes of other good resources. But on the other hand it seems like a lot of money to spend on something I don't need right now and probably won't use for years. So I am still wavering :?

Elenia wrote:For what it's worth, I'd say setting aside some time so you figure out how you can better use your work time and streamline your tasks is worth it, regardless of whether it'll leave you with more head space for Russian and languages. Taking care of yourself is important! I don't know what you do, so I don't know how possible it will be to do so, but if you can then you should!

(Related: minimising your Esperanto Association time is also probably a good idea. It seems like a time, energy and joy sink :? )

You are definitely right Elenia and I started this week at work full of good intentions to try and get things under control... and then by 10am on Monday, something went wrong which ended up dominating the whole week and meaning all the useful lists I'd made of what I was going to achieve had to be thrown out the window :lol: I'm going to try again this week! As for time, energy and joy sink - that is a very accurate description of my Esperanto role. I have spent a lot of time this year trying to decide whether to give it up entirely but unfortunately it isn't a simple decision to make and so far I've failed to make it...

Anyway, October is over already so I need to update on my goals again.

Goal 1 - Read 10 books in German
I'm still on 9. I may actually have run out of unread German books, which could make meeting this goal a challenge.

Goal 2 - Try not to forget any more Esperanto
No positive Esperanto experiences in October.

Goal 3 - Increase my Croatian vocabulary
I've still been avoiding Memrise like the plague, but I have learned some new words from the books I've been reading. One that sticks in my mind that I definitely learned in October is 'hrt', which is a type of dog. It seems to be the sorts of dogs that are tall and skinny with long legs, so in the book I was reading it meant 'greyhound' but from googling it seems like there are lots of different types of dogs that are classed as a hrt of some type of another. I don't really know enough about dogs understand it properly!

Goal 4 - Read at least 4,200 pages in Croatian
At the end of September I was on 5,534 pages. The main book I read in October was 'Gospodari strijela' by Conn Iggulden, which was 448 pages. I've also so far read 336 pages of 'Na rubu večnosti'. So 784 pages in October, taking my total for the year to 6,318 pages.

Goal 5 - Listen to/watch at least 9,990 minutes of Croatian TV/films/audiobooks
October has been a bad month for TV again. Mainly because I was away in Italy for one week and then working away in Reading for another week, and during that time I didn't really have time (or fast enough internet) to watch anything. So in total I watched 7 episodes of 'Zora dubrovačka', which equates to 307 minutes. I had 7,619 minutes at the end of September, so that's 7,926 minutes now. That wasn't quite on track to finish the Double Challenge by the end of the year but so far November is going much better, so I might still do it :)

Goal 6 - Do better than last year at Croatian output
No, I've completely given up on this now. I think I do worse with every year that goes by!

Goal 7 - Learn enough Russian to feel confident enough to take my Mom to St Petersburg.
See previous posts for a detailed explanation of lack of progress :oops:
10 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:48 am

Hrt = sighthound.

Veliki engleski hrt - greyhound
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:52 am

reineke wrote:Hrt = sighthound.

Wow, I've learned a new word in English today; have genuinely never heard of a sighthound before!

The book I was reading was set in America, so 'hrt' was being used to translate 'greyhound' as in the bus company.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 am

Radioclare wrote:

Wow, I've learned a new word in English today; have genuinely never heard of a sighthound before!

The book I was reading was set in America, so 'hrt' was being used to translate 'greyhound' as in the bus company.

Here's a picture of my sighthound. Breed is basenji (look up "basenji yodel" on youtube). His name is Merry, short for Meriadoc.

3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

IronMike wrote:
Radioclare wrote:

Here's a picture of my sighthound. Breed is basenji (look up "basenji yodel" on youtube). His name is Merry, short for Meriadoc.

My cat is called Hobbit, so I'm liking the theme with pets' names here!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

MamaPata wrote:My cat is called Hobbit, so I'm liking the theme with pets' names here!

We actually met a basset hound named Samwise at a dog park in N. Carolina many years ago. Seemed right.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 pm

Not to derail the log... but we had a dog named Buzz Lightyear, my daughter's dog is called Woody, I wanted to carry on with the trend of male Toy Story characters, but "Stinky Pete" got voted down and we have Freddy. :(
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Well I've learned a lot about dogs this week :lol: And the yodelling basenjis are very cool :)

Other things I have done this week...

• Got down to zero reviews of Russian and Croatian Memrise. And even learnt a few new words on Russian Memrise :)
  • Made some good progress with Russian Pimsleur. I'm on lesson 10 now, but I've listened to it about three times. Mainly to get the hang of telling the time, which I find difficult in any language. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to start listening to lesson 11, which I think is the furthest I got with Russian when I was learning it in 2011 prior to going to Ukraine.
  • Read some more pages of the novel 'Na rubu večnosti' in Serbian. I'm now on page 405, which Goodreads reckons is 1/3 of the way through.
  • Watched 13 episodes of 'Zora Dubrovačka' (well, that's since the start of November, not just this week). I'm having some technical issues with using Oyo.hr since the latest Windows update on my computer, so I've had to watch some of the episodes in lower quality via Youtube :(
  • Helped my Mom install a Russian keyboard on her mobile phone.
  • Decided not to invest in any Glossika given everybody else's negative experiences in the Facebook group :shock:
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

It's not a secret that I like listening to Croatian music, and today I found a really cool video about the evolution of Croatian music over the past century. This guy has basically sung a little bit of the lyrics of a handful of songs from each decade and put them together into one video :)

The names of all the songs included for each decade are on Youtube.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard "Hajde du" since... ESC 1990. :)
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”