the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:46 am

3 doublepages in the blue book.

Imperativo y la formación del subjuntivo no son difíciles. Pero el uso del subjuntivo lo es. Necesito tiempo y mucha práctica para mejorar. Ya lo utilizo más o menos bien, pero hay muchos errores.

Y he leído más que mitad de un libro. La finiré mañana.

And I've just bought a year of the Pacemaker premium membership. I love it!!!
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:17 am

I've just returned to Themen Aktuell. Somehow, I abandonned the last three lessons at least four time during the last few years. The course is really good. But every time I reopened it, I always had a problem with too much perfectionism, leading to basically reviewing the whole book or at least the second half every time and "taking a break" as a result. Nope. Just very slight review of things Lektion 7 follows and I am continuing. I'll make my mistakes, I'll review everything in my other courses and grammars, no need to worry.

Of course I feel completely stupid, while learning German. That will pass. I got too spoiled by the romance languages.

And I finished Muerto en familia.

And I can finally count some German minutes to my resolution tracking. This is gonna be awesome!

P.S. Amazon finally got me as regular customer. Finally, they became wiser. Until recently, czechs were good to them only as cheap workforce, not as valuable customers, since they were making czechs pay several euros for having stuff delivered from warehouses near Prague, while the Suiss a thousand km away were having free shipping. Now, I can get free shipping too, for any order above 39 euros. That is not a problem, I don't need to buy every book separately :-) Curiously, I cannot get free shipping from the German Amazon to France, but the fee is ok. And the second hand Italian book I wanted was available only on the German Amazon, not on the French or Italian ones :-D
I guess this is bad news for my favourite store with foreign books in Prague. The shop assistants there even remember my surname :-D
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 am

What is this pacemaker app you keep mentioning? I've been trying to find it, but when I search for pacemaker, all I find is stuff that has to do with actual pacemakers, games about heart surgery and a music app. Is it perhaps only available for android?
0 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:09 am

Brun Ugle wrote:What is this pacemaker app you keep mentioning? I've been trying to find it, but when I search for pacemaker, all I find is stuff that has to do with actual pacemakers, games about heart surgery and a music app. Is it perhaps only available for android?

Hah, I had the same problem yesterday. :D Turns out it's a website: https://pacemaker.press/
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 am

Yuurei wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:What is this pacemaker app you keep mentioning? I've been trying to find it, but when I search for pacemaker, all I find is stuff that has to do with actual pacemakers, games about heart surgery and a music app. Is it perhaps only available for android?

Hah, I had the same problem yesterday. :D Turns out it's a website: https://pacemaker.press/

No wonder I couldn't find it. I looked in the App Store and even googled "pacemaker app," but they both gave me the same results.

I haven't signed up yet, but I've been checking out the website and it looks fantastic. I see that you can even have group projects and challenges. That might be interesting for our future projects, like Polish 2017 and Swahili 2018, or whatever the plan is.

Thanks to both of you for letting me know about this site.
2 x

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Postby Yuurei » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I haven't signed up yet, but I've been checking out the website and it looks fantastic. I see that you can even have group projects and challenges. That might be interesting for our future projects, like Polish 2017 and Swahili 2018, or whatever the plan is.

I know what you mean - I immediately decided to try it out to track my tadoku reading this month and it's all very shiny. Not sure I want to pay for it monthly though. =X
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:18 pm

Sorry about not having included the link!

Yes, I immediately thought of you, when I saw the "challenges" option!
I think it could be a nice tool for our distracted tortoise GdUdE C race :-) Or any other challenge
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 pm

I am really enjoying German. Even though the amount of mistakes I make is horrible.

Before my long breaks, the cummulation of difficulties was always a bit more gradual, now I jumped right back to lesson 8 (to keep myself from restarting everything and giving up at the exactly same spot again) and there is so much I struggle with! Please, tell me it is gonna get better and once I get through this barrier, the learning curve will be much more Cavesa-friendly.

I am now paying for not having finished these grammar chapters years ago. I started studying a lot of things as they came, I was on a good path, but I gave up and now it is all here at once. An avalanche.

List of my immediate roadblocks ordered by importance, which I hope I'll tackle soon. I hope to be able to look back in a month from now, and cross at least two of them out:

1.Prepositions + declination + gender
I am not bad at remembering the gender of nouns in general but there is simply so much to remember I have serious gaps there. The declination of nouns is not hard per se, but I need much more practice. Prepositions were obviously created to torture innocent learners. And once you combine these three things together, it is too much and I fail. I am so happy about every correct answer in my Arbeitsbuch :-D

2.Perfektum
But that is mostly a "vocabulary" problem. Some memorisation will help.

3.Die trennbaren und untrennbaren Präfixe
But that is not so important for now, the first two problems are more urgent. And I think it is one of the things where input devouring will help.

I have started reading the Song of Ice and Fire in German on Readlang. And I intend to finish this book, not like the previous ones. And soon! I understand quite well and could follow the story even without dictionary, just without a lot of details ( or "details"). But I really prefer looking up stuff, when it is so easy and comfortable.

Spanish: 2 more doublepages, one episode of Aguila Roja.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:06 am

I have a new favourite Memrise course:
http://www.memrise.com/course/224248/th ... tuell-1-4/
That's my course! Yay! And with articles and all the 10 lessons! This course is one is my Memrise priority from now on. And as I am looking at it, perhaps I'll get myself to making my own TA 2 course, when I get to the book, as noone has made one yet. Really, why can't the publishers simply sell Memrise/Anki decks as another complement to their courses?
And this time, I like the levels, as I can learn stuff in whatever order I want.

But I am almost getting discouraged. My level is really really awful and want to pass a B2 exam in 2017.
There is some silver lining though. I think German won't let me even dream of harder languages for some time :-D
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:56 am

Found your log and subscribing for the year. I can be your cheer leader for German. "You can do it! You can do it!" :: shaking my pompoms::

(Are cheerleaders exclusively an American thing?)

There's no denying you've got a lot on your plate but you seem very capable of handling it. It's always good to be able to see what is slowing you down (like internet threads) and be willing to restrict it as much as necessary. (Hence why I am not on Facebook anymore)

Best of luck with this new year!
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”