Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:32 pm

rdearman wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I am so grateful you are going for Czech as the new crazy project now, guys. This way, there is no dangerous temptation for me :-D

Good point. You should have to learn something too... Norwegian perhaps?

To be absolutely honest, I'll be lucky if I don't get kicked out of the university in September.
Scandinavian or nordic languages are unforunately not happening in the forseeable future.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Ani » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:42 pm

Gee I would have loved to join the Czech project but I've overloaded myself. Honestly I thought I had enough time with Swahili and.. What was the other one? first. But now it looks like I am going to miss out. Oh well. If it keeps Cavesa on track, I guess it is ok. ;) At least now I know the secret of getting Systematiker on board in the future -- just tell him he already said yes!
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:19 am

Seriously?! The one time I open my mouth without thinking, and suddenly the whole forum is learning Czech?! And I never even said I was going to learn Czech!!! I said if there were SLOVAK Star Trek books, I would learn SLOVAK!!!! And now suddenly everyone wants to learn Czech and they want bots and extra Mühe and they want Cavesa to tutor them with a whip. :shock:

OK, I give up. We're learning Czech. :roll: I hope the next Gathering is in Prague. And that Czech Star Trek fan fiction had better be the best fan fiction ever written, because the other two books I bought, I could actually read in English! (And I probably have done so several times already.)

I guess I should start a Czech team thread since this is apparently my fault. :| Hmmm. Is this a challenge or a study group?

Next time I'm in a bookstore, I'm keeping my mouth shut!
6 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:31 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Next time I'm in a bookstore, I'm keeping my mouth shut!

I know they put up warnings in libraries:

-----
SILENCE
-----
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:43 am

smallwhite wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Next time I'm in a bookstore, I'm keeping my mouth shut!

I know they put up warnings in libraries:

-----
SILENCE
-----

Those signs would probably be more effective if they also posted the consequences as well.

-----
SILENCE or you will be forced to learn Czech
-----
7 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 am

What happened to Polish? :(

At the Gathering, Brun Ugle and I were trying to figure out who was responsible for Finnish. It turned out we both blamed ourselves. See the way Czech is unfurling I realise it's just us pushing (and not pushing) in very subtle ways... or not.

Seriously, what happened to Polish :?:
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:58 am

Elenia wrote:What happened to Polish? :(

At the Gathering, Brun Ugle and I were trying to figure out who was responsible for Finnish. It turned out we both blamed ourselves. See the way Czech is unfurling I realise it's just us pushing (and not pushing) in very subtle ways... or not.

Seriously, what happened to Polish :?:

I don't know. I was trying to pick from among Polish, Russian and Bosnian and somehow came up with Czech. It wasn't really my idea. I think I was tricked. I mean, who would have thought I was in danger of finding Star Trek books? They're usually so hard to find. They didn't have any in Thalia in Vienna, and I know there are loads of Star Trek books in German.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 am

Brun Ugle wrote:We're learning Czech. :roll: I hope the next Gathering is in Prague. And that Czech Star Trek fan fiction had better be the best fan fiction ever written, because the other two books I bought, I could actually read in English!

The solution of course is for everyone to write Star Trek fan fiction in Czech for you to read while learning. Also you need to join the Czech output challenge and write a Star Trek novel. Which time period will you be basing your book in ST-NG, Enterprise, Original?
Brun Ugle wrote:Those signs would probably be more effective if they also posted the consequences as well.

-----
SILENCE or you will be forced to learn Czech
-----

Just like those "No English Zones" worked better than the "Keep off the grass" signs. :)
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:18 am

Brun Ugle wrote:Seriously?! The one time I open my mouth without thinking, and suddenly the whole forum is learning Czech?! And I never even said I was going to learn Czech!!! I said if there were SLOVAK Star Trek books, I would learn SLOVAK!!!! And now suddenly everyone wants to learn Czech and they want bots and extra Mühe and they want Cavesa to tutor them with a whip. :shock:

Brun Ugle, you say you are easily distracted, but it rather seems to me you are able to distract half the forum into learning Czech rather than whatever else you crazy people were planning over the last year or so. :)

I've promised myself not to take on any new language at this moment as I have this foolish ambition of learning Arabic to a B2 level on my own, but Czech is now definitely on my list for the future. Mind you, it is not because of Star Trek, or even the whip. By the way, reading that I did get this image in my head of Cavesa flogging Rdearman whenever he mixed up the nominal cases ;) .
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Seriously?! The one time I open my mouth without thinking, and suddenly the whole forum is learning Czech?! And I never even said I was going to learn Czech!!! I said if there were SLOVAK Star Trek books, I would learn SLOVAK!!!! And now suddenly everyone wants to learn Czech and they want bots and extra Mühe and they want Cavesa to tutor them with a whip. :shock:

Reading this, I'm actually kind of mad that we are doing Czech and not Slovak, because I learned last night I would get bonus pay if I can prove proficiency in Slovak but not Czech (there's a whole list, pretty much nothing where I can pass the test at the required level results in extra pay :( )
1 x

Return to “Language logs”