Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:44 am

rdearman wrote:OK, I have Italian, French, Czech & Slovak subtitles. Which ones do you want on your anki decks? You can only have 2 at a time. French & Czech?

Sure, why not? This is really going to be "mit ekstra Mühe," isn't it.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby tarvos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:32 pm

Cavesa wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Ani wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
Cavesa wrote:What is happening here? :-D :-D :-D

There were Star Trek books! That's a good reason to learn a language, right? You complain that there aren't enough people learning Czech, but have you ever tried telling them that there are Star Trek books?

Now this is a good point! And Cavesa, to answer your question, I think you were just forcibly recruited to tutor ~10 of your favorite boardies.

We didn't force her, she just didn't step backwards when we asked for volunteers. :lol:

I should have kept the richness of Czech fantasy and sci-fi, both original and translated, a secret :-D
I didn't know I was supposed to hide at a particular moment :-)

Not sure what kind of "tutoring" are you looking for, but if you mean being a native advisor to a forum group of such awesome learners, that is more realistic than me continuing Finnish right now :-) And fortunately Tarvos might be there too, as she is quite an advanced Czech learner now.

My Czech isn't that amazing (my tutor will tell you otherwise, though). I'd probably consider myself a weak B2-ish speaker of Czech, which isn't so horrible on the whole.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:OK, I have Italian, French, Czech & Slovak subtitles. Which ones do you want on your anki decks? You can only have 2 at a time. French & Czech?

This anki deck is double-extra Mühe already! The subtitle times don't agree on any of the sub-title files, and some have extra sub-titles just to make it really bloody difficult. So it means a lot of manual f-ing about. It leads me to wonder if you're going to be able to do this by yourself for the next two... :(
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I considered buying Tschechisch mit ekstra Mühe, but the bookstore only had the version with regular CD's and I wanted the MP3 version.

Don't you have the Assimil for Czech already?

I mean, that's what I'll plan on using...
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:28 pm

Systematiker wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I considered buying Tschechisch mit ekstra Mühe, but the bookstore only had the version with regular CD's and I wanted the MP3 version.

Not yet. I wasn't planning to learn Czech at all. I was originally trying to decide between Russian and Polish for my first Slavic language, then it was among Russian, Polish and Bosnian because my doctor is Bosnian and I thought learning it might get me the "good" medicine. So, somehow, among Russian, Polish and Bosnian, I ended up with Czech. It doesn't make sense even to me.

Anyway, I haven't started yet and I don't really even have materials besides a few Star Trek books, so I'm going to have to look into this a little.
Systematiker wrote:I mean, that's what I'll plan on using...

Does that mean you are joining us in this madness? Is it because of the Star Trek books?

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

This anki deck is double-extra Mühe already! The subtitle times don't agree on any of the sub-title files, and some have extra sub-titles just to make it really bloody difficult. So it means a lot of manual f-ing about. It leads me to wonder if you're going to be able to do this by yourself for the next two... :(

By that time, I'll be so good, I'll be able to watch them without subs. :D Actually, I just want to learn the basic technique, so I can try it myself. Maybe I should have a look at that thread......
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Does that mean you are joining us in this madness?

I might join you as well - I have exactly one textbook (it looks like something from the 1980s - or older), a number of dictionaries, at least one film with Czech audio and finally there's ONE book in Czech at the library. Considering possible resources online (e.g. mluvtecesky.net), what could go wrong? I feel better prepared than Cardinal Mezzofanti. 8-) When does it start? Is it a 6WC? Do I have to use a bot?
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Systematiker wrote:

Not yet. I wasn't planning to learn Czech at all. I was originally trying to decide between Russian and Polish for my first Slavic language, then it was among Russian, Polish and Bosnian because my doctor is Bosnian and I thought learning it might get me the "good" medicine. So, somehow, among Russian, Polish and Bosnian, I ended up with Czech. It doesn't make sense even to me.

Anyway, I haven't started yet and I don't really even have materials besides a few Star Trek books, so I'm going to have to look into this a little.
Systematiker wrote:I mean, that's what I'll plan on using...

Does that mean you are joining us in this madness? Is it because of the Star Trek books?

I totally remember a discussion a while back about learning Czech together, and then all of a sudden everyone is going to learn Czech, and I was in then, so I guess I'm in now? (Or maybe I can't even remember things right, but I'm in anyway, maybe I can do better than with Finnish).

I thought that you had it from certain sources, but upon review, I don't have it either, it seems (which may mean that we really didn't talk about learning Czech together, but it's too late for me now).

I do have Colloquial Czech, though. So I guess I'm using that? The more I think about this and look at my resources the more I'm convinced that I just committed myself because I thought I had already committed myself but I didn't really... :?

All the things I could be doing for languages I don't want to lose progress in, and here I am, in unit 1 of the Czech book...
1 x

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Systematiker wrote:
All the things I could be doing for languages I don't want to lose progress in, and here I am, in unit 1 of the Czech book...

And that's the beauty of languages. There's always a reason to study a new one. I never would have gone near Slovak until I went there for the Gathering, and I crammed as much as I could. Didn't come close to winning the challenge, but I'm still happy I learned some and could use it in social settings (much to the head-shaking and eye-rolling of Brun Ugle and Rdearman :lol: ).

Friday I relocate to Hong Kong for 2 months and now Cantonese is on the list. Never bothered to learn a word of it til now. (Even though I had an earlier version of Colloquial Cantonese on my shelf for ages.) I would almost consider hopping on the Czech bandwagon, but I'm trying to focus on specific needs for now. Unless someone finds me a Star Wars book in Czech. (I have a few in Slovak now. Gotta start somewhere...)

Of course, the question is not necessarily how to maintain these languages for the long-term, but if I should bother trying. I think sometimes knowing a little bit, or knowing some for a short time is OK. Especially when other languages pop up on the radar. I'm more of a buffet person, maybe....
0 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 pm

I am so grateful you are going for Czech as the new crazy project now, guys. This way, there is no dangerous temptation for me :-D
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Cavesa wrote:I am so grateful you are going for Czech as the new crazy project now, guys. This way, there is no dangerous temptation for me :-D

Good point. You should have to learn something too... Norwegian perhaps?
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”