Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby MamaPata » Wed May 24, 2017 6:42 am

It seems to me you've done loads! You've been busy, you have to focus on reducing your stress, and you still managed to produce stuff and do listening!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat May 27, 2017 12:00 pm

Only a couple of days left! So I’m a bit stressed out. I leave on Monday for Vienna, and after a day there, it’s on to Bratislava and the Gathering. Last year I got sick at the end of the Gathering, but I seem to be getting a head-start this year. My throat has felt a little scratchy and I have a bit of a headache. The stress, the endless rain, and my difficulty sleeping before a trip probably aren’t helping, but I’m counting on herbal tea and willpower to hold off any viruses until I get home.

I’ve given up on the idea of actually studying until I get home again, so I’m just watching TV, listening to audiobooks and other relaxing stuff. However, I did make the mistake of taking another iTalki lesson yesterday. Part of the problem wasn’t really the tutor’s fault, but there was just so much noise. I’ve never had a Skype call that bad before. I was tired after only 20 minutes because I don’t do well with background noise and this was extreme. I kept having to ask him to repeat and I’ve almost never had to ask him to repeat anything before. But also the lessons have changed a bit recently. In the beginning, we used to just talk, but now he keeps trying to give me “lessons” and they are usually a review of elementary stuff and often don’t fit my learning style. This time he had a bunch of prepositions and wanted me to make up sentences with each. I’m not even good at that in English. My mind always goes blank when someone tells me to use a particular word in a sentence. And in this case, my mind was already overtaxed from the noise. I have two lessons left in the package I bought, so I might try to see if he would be willing to do something like give me an article to read and discuss that or perhaps discuss a topic that I can prepare ahead of time. If the lessons don’t improve, then I’ll move on to another tutor. I might have learned everything I can from him already. He was really good in the beginning though.

I’ve been listening to another Agatha Christie audiobook in German while I walk. I don’t have any trouble with following what is said, but I sometimes find my attention wandering, probably because I think of things I should do before leaving. So, I’m not following all the details of the story as well as I should. Also, sometimes I get distracted because I get so fascinated by Poirot’s French-Belgian accent, and I start listening to how he talks rather than what he’s saying. The story takes places in France too, so there are a bunch of people with French names and I keep forgetting which one is which.

I think I’m ready for the trip now, so I should just spend the rest of the weekend relaxing. I even got my travel tablet working. When I got it out, it wouldn’t charge. I left it plugged in for hours and nothing happened. I even tried plugging it in in different places, but it still didn’t work. I took it back to the store where I bought it and they checked that my charger was working, which it was, and then checked the tablet itself and it wasn’t working. They decided to leave it on charge there for a few hours and send it for repair if it didn’t charge, but it actually charged. Silly thing! I don’t know why it wouldn’t charge before. At least I won’t be cut off from the internet now. I probably won’t use it much because it is so annoying, but at least I’ll be able to keep up to date with the rest of the world.
8 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 pm

I just figured out why shopkeepers always seem a bit annoyed with me here in the EU. That round thing next to the 5 on the coin is a globe, not a zero.
9 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:37 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
Elenia wrote:I'll go for Czech. Someone :roll: keeps on tempting me with all the literature and excellent language resources :roll:

I wonder who that could be...

(Seriously, though, were there links to Czech resources I missed?)

When are we starting Czech? I'm going to need to start writing all this stuff down in my calendar. It's getting to be too much to keep in my head.

Just found this on page 42 of my log. I had completely forgotten. Looks as though your purchase wasn't so random after all!

Rdearman, are you in?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am

I was roped in before it seemed. But it would be more useful to me than Finnish since I actually travel to the Czech Republic a lot.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

rdearman wrote:I was roped in before it seemed. But it would be more useful to me than Finnish since I actually travel to the Czech Republic a lot.

You weren't roped in. You yourself suggested that we should learn Czech together and that Cavesa could be our teacher because she would be strict with us and tell us honestly how bad we are. You promised to learn Czech with me and I have witnesses. Czech mate! 8-)

The reason I have to learn Czech is that I walked into a bookstore in Bratislava where my friend, Dave, was looking at Star Wars books and I said, "I'm not really all that into Star Wars. I prefer Star Trek, but you can't really find Star Trek books in other languages besides English and German. If they had Star Trek books in Slovak, I'd learn Slovak."

And then I found several Star Trek books. However they turned out to be in Czech, so technically, I'm off the hook because they aren't in Slovak, and I didn't say anything about Czech Star Trek books. :P ;)
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:I was roped in before it seemed. But it would be more useful to me than Finnish since I actually travel to the Czech Republic a lot.

You weren't roped in. You yourself suggested that we should learn Czech together and that Cavesa could be our teacher because she would be strict with us and tell us honestly how bad we are. You promised to learn Czech with me and I have witnesses. Czech mate! 8-)

The reason I have to learn Czech is that I walked into a bookstore in Bratislava where my friend, Dave, was looking at Star Wars books and I said, "I'm not really all that into Star Wars. I prefer Star Trek, but you can't really find Star Trek books in other languages besides English and German. If they had Star Trek books in Slovak, I'd learn Slovak."

And then I found several Star Trek books. However they turned out to be in Czech, so technically, I'm off the hook because they aren't in Slovak, and I didn't say anything about Czech Star Trek books. :P ;)

If you're off the hook then so am I !!! :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:38 pm

rdearman wrote:If you're off the hook then so am I !!! :)

No! Well, you are from learning Slovak, I guess. But Brun Ugle is only off the hook because she didn't look hard enough for Slovak Star Trek books. But now she's on the Czech hook. No, that's not a pun.

Asterix is a different story....
0 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Wait, am I supposed to be learning Czech now?

Man, what y'all get up to while I'm away
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:05 pm

I considered buying Tschechisch mit ekstra Mühe, but the bookstore only had the version with regular CD's and I wanted the MP3 version.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”