Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby blaurebell » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 am

Ani wrote:I spend 2-5 hours/day in the kitchen cooking for myself and my kids. Because of my allergies and theirs, this is non-negotiable no matter if I am sick or exhausted. I know exactly how much sugar they get. I'm not trying to raise my kids keto, but they don't have sugar every day. Ice pops and juice are rare treats -- if they weren't, I wouldn't expect them to work as bribes right?

That's great, I already expected as much because of your location and allergies, that's why I wrote that you probably already tried what I suggested! As for American food, you're definitely right about regions and all that, but one thing I definitely noticed consistently when trying to adapt recipes from American paleo websites or SCD / GAPS groups is that they are consistently unbearably sweet, no matter which region they are from. That's why I mushed it all together into "American food", even though I'm aware that the specifics of everyday food really differ a lot from region to region unless you look at people who simply don't have money to eat a decent human diet. With recipes from the US even when I put half the honey, it's usually way too sweet for me, since I really have no sugar at all. Same was the case when my dad baked cake recipes from American friends when I was younger and eating sugary stuff every day. Too damn sweet! And then what most people call "juice" is usually just some kind of syrup with added water - in the UK too, it's appalling. There is also a lot of hidden sugar in all sorts of stuff, even 100% juice sometimes has added sugar, even though that's already super sugary even when it's natural! Basically reading the American SCD group was always a bit of a wtf experience, since people would accidentally poison themselves by buying meat that had injected seasoning with gluten or had the worst reaction from some other thing that wasn't even appearing on the ingredients list. It seemed so much more difficult to find non-contaminated food over there! But then, if you're hunting your own food in your parts you're probably in the very best region for your particular needs!

And boy do I know the cooking for three hours despite being ill part. My life exactly :? If I don't cook, I simply starve. I can get DH to cook half the evening meals and if I'm really really sick he might cook other meals too, but most of the time I'm wasting an awful lot of time with all that pesky survival stuff.

Ani wrote:And if my big kids sit that long, they don't burn off their energy outside, which is what I need. So, when the 2 year old is finally occupied, I spend my time with the big kids either getting school done or just giving them attention. They have this idea that I actually care about their ideas and want to talk to them LOL. So it isn't attention span, or behavior (except for 2 and sometmes 5 year old), or being bratty, but just that there are a lot of them and only one introverted me who'd rather hide in a corner and read a book.

Hah, I think the key thing is that "there are a lot of them" :lol: I really don't know how you manage with so many, especially if they are still at an age where they want attention all the time! I find cohabitation with one adult difficult enough because I'm really very introverted and need my peace and quiet. Getting that sort of need across to children without leaving them with abandonment issues is almost impossible I suppose! In our case we both work from home, so we see each other a lot more than couples with regular 9-5 jobs, but I think over the years we've found a good balance of leaving each other alone or being there as needed. Not sure how it would work with kids ...!
4 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:04 pm

Ani wrote:
Of course, I don't actually live on that landmass.. I live on this one where we hunt for our food, add salmon to e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g, and can typically find akutaq at summer potlucks.:
ALASKAEUROPE.png

When I lived in AK, I would try to explain to those in the lower 48 how big AK was, and they just wouldn't get it. I'd then show them something similar to this map.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm

IronMike wrote:
Ani wrote:
Of course, I don't actually live on that landmass.. I live on this one where we hunt for our food, add salmon to e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g, and can typically find akutaq at summer potlucks.:
ALASKAEUROPE.png

When I lived in AK, I would try to explain to those in the lower 48 how big AK was, and they just wouldn't get it. I'd then show them something similar to this map.

Because Alaska is that little part floating next to Hawaii! Hehe
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:29 pm

Ani wrote:Zenmonkey, have any opinions on that?

I don't, mostly. I don't keep up with the material and my access has been always to either:

- expensive lab equipment used for experimental microscopy design (I built a TIRF microscope with a $10K scanning laser, and about $100K of optics, a liquid nitrogen cooled camera, etc... as my grad work).
- cheap $20-30 kid microscope that we use for a little while and then take apart
- old family Zeiss - was my grandfathers, my mother had another one. In my teens I helped my grandfather built the photography tubing and adapters.

I will tell you to think about the use of the equipment - do you want to take pictures? Get one with a built in adapter or camera or a straight mono tube. It is really hard to adapt binoculars without a special stage. Today, I would probably hunt our something I could plonk an SLR body with video onto it. If photo isn't your thing - that one might be fine.

Oh ... and something I was discussing with a colleague today...

0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:33 am

Ani wrote:

I take exception to the idea of "American food" and offer this visual:
USAEUROPE.png

ALASKAEUROPE.png

The US is huge and diverse. The amount of sugar people consume here is related to location, cultural heritage and socio-economic status. The types of food you can find are very different in different regions.

You can easily lose the US, Mexico, and India within the borders of Russia with room left over for several culinary superpowers. While I wouldn't reduce Russian cuisine to borscht, I certainly wouldn't draw conclusions about a country's cuisine or culture based on these mapology arguments. Americans consume massive amounts of sugar (sometimes even without realizing it) and while Europeans also consume a lot of sugar, I find that Europeans use all that sugar with more purpose. I also enjoy Japanese sweets (which are not overly sweet even when mass produced). Japan of course also does not compare favorably with Alaska, the continental US or Mexico in terms of sheer land mass.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 am

reineke wrote:
Ani wrote:

I take exception to the idea of "American food" and offer this visual:
USAEUROPE.png

ALASKAEUROPE.png

The US is huge and diverse. The amount of sugar people consume here is related to location, cultural heritage and socio-economic status. The types of food you can find are very different in different regions.

You can easily lose the US, Mexico, and India within the borders of Russia with room left over for several culinary superpowers. While I wouldn't reduce Russian cuisine to borscht, I certainly wouldn't draw conclusions about a country's cuisine or culture based on these mapology arguments. Americans consume massive amounts of sugar (sometimes even without realizing it) and while Europeans also consume a lot of sugar, I find that Europeans use all that sugar with more purpose. I also enjoy Japanese sweets (which are not overly sweet even when mass produced). Japan of course also does not compare favorably with Alaska, the continental US or Mexico in terms of sheer land mass.

Nice to see you stop by Reineke :) I wasn't intending to claim that the US has diverse food cultures simply because of its size. That wouldn't hold up in Alaska, as there are only 700,000 of us in that huge area. I was just pointing out that people easily think about German food, Italian food, Spanish food, and even are comfortable discussing cuisine in the north, south, east or west of these countries, but so often lump America together under one label despite all our regions and differences. If you are familiar with the food here, you know that people in southern California eat totally differently than those in Georgia and coastal Maine cuisine is completely different than New Mexico. And then there are, I guess, people in flyover country who serve something called jello salad with their dinner most nights. (I don't know what jello salad is but yuck..) When you average over a large area, or large population, it doesn't account for the diversity of individual areas.

zenmonkey wrote:
Ani wrote:Zenmonkey, have any opinions on that?

I don't, mostly. I don't keep up with the material and my access has been always to either:

- expensive lab equipment used for experimental microscopy design (I built a TIRF microscope with a $10K scanning laser, and about $100K of optics, a liquid nitrogen cooled camera, etc... as my grad work).
- cheap $20-30 kid microscope that we use for a little while and then take apart
- old family Zeiss - was my grandfathers, my mother had another one. In my teens I helped my grandfather built the photography tubing and adapters.

I will tell you to think about the use of the equipment - do you want to take pictures? Get one with a built in adapter or camera or a straight mono tube. It is really hard to adapt binoculars without a special stage. Today, I would probably hunt our something I could plonk an SLR body with video onto it. If photo isn't your thing - that one might be fine.

Oh ... and something I was discussing with a colleague today...

Photography is something I never considered. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!. It would be a really cool option. I don't want to go much higher in price, because I'd like to let my kids use it with their lab work fairly soon (they are pretty advanced in sciences, but young) without getting twitchy every time they touch it. Maybe if I research further, more options will present themselves.. or else I'll just decide we can't get good photos at our price point and just enjoy what we can do :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:08 am

reineke wrote:While I wouldn't reduce Russian cuisine to borscht,

To sum up my aunts cooking: Borscht, Pelmeni, Blintzes, Plov, and oodles of meat with potatoes. Everything seems to be deep fried in half a litre of oil too. And then they wonder about gall stones :roll: And of course, turning down your relatives cooking is so difficult, it's almost impolite. They just try to force feed visitors, it's a cultural thing. My mum and my aunt play this game where my aunt puts more food on my mum's plate and my mum puts it back. One reason why I haven't visited in a long while: That food would literally kill me and turning it down is a somewhat tricky procedure :? Turning down a drink is even more complicated and can get you into real trouble if you do it the wrong way. The best strategy is to feign a liver condition, because anything less than that would pretty much be an insult. "Only brothers drink with each other. You don't want to drink with me?! You don't want to be my brother?!" Uh oh ...! My grandpa, who had a liver condition and couldn't drink himself, actually made my dad drink water glasses full of vodka for breakfast on that logic. :roll: Took a while until my dad managed to extricate himself from that one, because there is no real excuse that allows you to turn down half the drinks. I think he used "Your daughter gets angry when I drink this early" in the end. The wrath of a woman and all that :lol: I don't think that one would work with a non-relative though!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

Speaking of Russian food :D . As a kid I hated borscht (борщ) and any other soups. Many kids did. Now I eat the soups but at rare occasions (and, btw, I'm not sure if I know the "true" recipe of borscht). At the same time I like pelmeni (пельмени), bliny (блины), plov (плов). The latter isn't Russian food actually. I doubt that anyone of Russian would consider plov as Russian food. But in fact in my everyday life I don't eat too fried and fat foods. And I eat a small portion. Since early childhood I've had a bad appetite, so I've never eaten too much and always refuse to eat more. I think in nowaday Russia it's a quite common thing. Yes, there's a tradition to serve guests with the best possible food, a lot of the food. And I guess that if the guests are foreigners, even if relatives, the things would be worse. The same is with an alcohol. I'm not a big fan of vodka and I definitely wouldn't drink full glasses of vodka, not by free will :lol: . My friends prefer other kinds of drink too (usually wine). Yes, there's such thing as "ты меня уважаешь?!..." :twisted: (literally: Do you respect me?) But... I don't know, maybe it's more common among men, I can't remember if I've ever heared that line in my real life. Maybe I do, but just haven't paid attention. I've always been able to refuse to drink and never, or very rarely (in college years), drink too much, too.
The average Russian isn't so exotic create as European used to think. I guess in our daily life we are as boring as every other nations :mrgreen: Btw, I see myself as a typical Russian despite the fact that I don't drink vodka and don't cook borscht :roll: :)
5 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 am

aaleks wrote:The average Russian isn't so exotic create as European used to think. I guess in our daily life we are as boring as every other nations :mrgreen: Btw, I see myself as a typical Russian despite the fact that I don't drink vodka and don't cook borscht :roll: :)
It is true that you're all ex-KGB mafia gangsters though, right?
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:14 pm

DaveBee wrote:
aaleks wrote:The average Russian isn't so exotic create as European used to think. I guess in our daily life we are as boring as every other nations :mrgreen: Btw, I see myself as a typical Russian despite the fact that I don't drink vodka and don't cook borscht :roll: :)
It is true that you're all ex-KGB mafia gangsters though, right?

Oh, yeah 8-) :lol: . Even though I was still in school when the USSR fell apart... but I was old enough to be a pioneer ;) .
Seriously and honestly, I don't know what exactly Europeans and Americans think about Russians or if they think about us at all :roll: :lol: , but there are so many mythes about my homecountry :roll: .
2 x

Return to “Language logs”