Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Ani » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:16 pm

blaurebell wrote: I'm also not sure how much mileage you'll get out of Glossika with a language that is so different from the ones that were originally meant to be taught with the Glossika method.

If I were already A2, I'd be much more hesitant about Glossika and I'd want some verification from people here that the sentences are decently natural songs idiomatic. The nice thing about using it now for me though is that I am such a beginner that I am using it more for vocabulary acquisition and untwisting my tongue. This is about the part that I'd go to Memrise to front load vocabulary for reading. Instead I am going to try it in bigger chunks with Glossika. By the end of the year, I should be done with Glossika and have a 3500-4000 word vocabulary to tackle reading with.
Next year I'll try reading a book, getting into book two of my grammar book, and maybe working with transcripts for some tv shows. Plenty of time to fix up any weirdness from glossika.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 am

So am I the only person cramming grammar in the fear hope of being in the study test group? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And of course, because justification for starting a new language makes everyone go a little nuts, I have decided that IF I am in the test group, I'll learn German. There is no way I could be in the test group for Russian due to lack of native materials. If it turns out we can be both in the test and control group with different languages, I can track and submit for Russian & German. Because.. :roll:

I also texted my brother this morning to see if he wanted to join the study. He was a linguistics major and at one point really loved language learning, but after the first few texts he stopped responding to me so I think maybe I was a little over the top enthusiastic :oops:

I also have something a little personal I have been trying NOT to post about for the last 3 months. But seriously I am dying I am so excited. Please forgive me if this comes across like bragging. My cousin is a writer/actor and his first big movie came out this weekend. I am not planning to get much if any study in tomorrow because I have the whole afternoon set up with a babysitter so DH and I can go see the movie. I get to see my cuz GIANT SIZE. How amazingly cool is that?

(Edited out the personal info)
Last edited by Ani on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
9 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:33 am

Ani wrote:There is no way I could be in the test group for Russian due to lack of native materials.

eh? :?
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 am

neofight78 wrote:
Ani wrote:There is no way I could be in the test group for Russian due to lack of native materials.

Go ahead and find me some region 1 physical DVD's with Russian audio, Russian subs, and preferably also French subs to make subs2srs decks ... ::twiddlesthumbs:: :)
If you have some sort of technical magic that can make subs2srs out of something else, I'd be interested but figuring out how to do it from a physical dvd is daunting enough.
Also I am really anxious to advance and the idea of not using a grammar book for 6 months is kinda scary. ..I wasn't going to start German until next year so if I can't learn a darn thing then it's ok.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am

Ani wrote:
neofight78 wrote:

Go ahead and find me some region 1 physical DVD's with Russian audio, Russian subs, and preferably also French subs to make subs2srs decks ... ::twiddlesthumbs:: :)
If you have some sort of technical magic that can make subs2srs out of something else, I'd be interested but figuring out how to do it from a physical dvd is daunting enough.
Also I am really anxious to advance and the idea of not using a grammar book for 6 months is kinda scary. ..I wasn't going to start German until next year so if I can't learn a darn thing then it's ok.

Oh, so that's what you want! I was beginning to feel sad for all those Russians without anything to read or watch :P

Actually, physical DVDs are not needed for subs2srs, in fact it's a complication as you have to rip the video and subtitles from them. You can download videos with subtitles from YouTube instead. French subtitles is a problem I grant you, but if you go to the StarMedia channel there are quite a few series with both English and Russian subtitles. It's quite possible to use them with subs2srs.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Ani wrote:... IF I am in the test group, I'll learn German.

You have to choose your language first, then they decide which group to put you in. See my Q4 here, then rdearman's reply 2 posts later and 3 posts later. That means you'll need to choose a language that you can study with either method for the next 6 months. What you can also do is: you can continue to study Russian even if you're in the test group, but study for just, say, 30 minutes a day instead of your usual 2 hours or whatever. This way, you'll only be deprived of grammar and courses for 30min x 180 days instead of for 2hrs x 180 days.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Ani wrote:
I also have something a little personal I have been trying NOT to post about for the last 3 months. But seriously I am dying I am so excited. Please forgive me if this comes across like bragging. My cousin is a writer/actor and his first big movie came out this weekend. I am not planning to get much if any study in tomorrow because I have the whole afternoon set up with a babysitter so DH and I can go see the movie. I get to see my cuz GIANT SIZE. How amazingly cool is that?
I'm not going to post the names directly and I'll pull this picture down after a couple days. This is our amazing 90 year old grandmother with him at the opening. Film name in the background if you are curious.
IMG958256.jpg

Your cousin is in one of my favorite comedy shows! That's awesome. I'm glad things are going well for him.
1 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Congratulations to your cousin. And how exciting for your family!
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 am

neofight78 wrote:Oh, so that's what you want! I was beginning to feel sad for all those Russians without anything to read or watch :P

Actually, physical DVDs are not needed for subs2srs, in fact it's a complication as you have to rip the video and subtitles from them. You can download videos with subtitles from YouTube instead. French subtitles is a problem I grant you, but if you go to the StarMedia channel there are quite a few series with both English and Russian subtitles. It's quite possible to use them with subs2srs.

Ahh its good to know you can do that. I've always wanted to try but.. I'm not sure I can. I have built up a ridiculous fear of sub2srs in general, only because EMK say it is really hard. If he says something is hard it must be near impossible. (This is so sad coming from a girl who, 10 years ago, wouldn't use an operating system she didn't compile herself) .
I figure if I am using German DVDs, my steps will exactly match rdearman's guide and I might actually survive. Maybe not :-p

smallwhite wrote:You have to choose your language first, then they decide which group to put you in. See my Q4 here, then rdearman's reply 2 posts later and 3 posts later. That means you'll need to choose a language that you can study with either method for the next 6 months. What you can also do is: you can continue to study Russian even if you're in the test group, but study for just, say, 30 minutes a day instead of your usual 2 hours or whatever. This way, you'll only be deprived of grammar and courses for 30min x 180 days instead of for 2hrs x 180 days.

Yes. I did see that. But we were also invited to sign up anyway to be in the control group if we are not able/willing to do the test group. I'm not willing to change my methods for Russian right now because they are my most enjoyable activities of the day. Also, I decided I would finish Le Russe à votre rythme this year, and I just started Glossika 4 days ago so I'd have to give up those goals. I *could* just sign up with German either way, but I don't really want to study it with books until January. I mean.. I could.. but.. Well, then, why not take my data from Russian where I am actually working hard with books/courses, rather than German which I would only be giving a nod to. Either way, I have already msg'd rdearman and I'll participate in the ways I can, or not at all, as would be his preference. I am only human and I can only do what I can do.

Fortheo wrote:Your cousin is in one of my favorite comedy shows! That's awesome. I'm glad things are going well for him.

Elsa Maria wrote:Congratulations to your cousin. And how exciting for your family!

Thank youuuu :) It was even better than I was expecting and we had a wonderful time!

----

So after the movie today, DH and I went out to dinner and were seated next to some people speaking Russian. I think a mother and adult son. It was sort of interesting as she occasionally spoke English, but 95% of the time was speaking Russian, while the son spoke maybe 5% Russian and the rest English back to (that woman I assume was) his mother. I know that is a fairly common occurrence, but I don't think I have ever seen it in action, especially not with adults. I spent the meal trying to see if I had any useful Russian to open a conversation if I had the chance, but all I came up with was "Эти сумки тяжёлые (These bags are heavy), там мой друг, (There is my friend) and Моя сестра медсестра. (My sister is a nurse). :lol: :lol: Oh and Твоя мама дома? (Is your mother at home?) which would be even weirder than the others :) Not entirely sure those are all correct, but it seems like Glossika is working!

(oh and I'm pretty sure the guy was wearing the same watch from Мажор! Nearly identical at least, really made me laugh)
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:06 am

"Эти сумки тяжёлые (These bags are heavy), там мой друг, (There is my friend) and Моя сестра медсестра. (My sister is a nurse). Oh and Твоя мама дома? (Is your mother at home?) which would be even weirder than the others Not entirely sure those are all correct, but it seems like Glossika is working!

They are correct, but sound a bit unnatural without a context :) .
0 x

Return to “Language logs”