Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Ani » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:51 pm

IronMike wrote:It is probably too late for you, but I advise anyone who is about to start a LCHF or keto diet to get a blood panel first.

That's a really good idea. I should at least go back and look. I get blood work done pretty often but cholesterol is not what they are looking for so I'll have to see if it was thrown in at any time.

As an aside and related to the code switching thread, it made me ridiculously happy when you tossed in a чесно говоря into your post a few days ago. I consider it a milestone -- first time anyone has talked to mass in Russian and assumed I'd understand :)
-----

I did go back to studying more Russian, instead of just reviewing, and it's going faster now. I think watching 5+ seasons of Russian tv, even with the subtitles in English, has given me a bump up. I also feel like I've finally got some mental hooks to hang my words from.
I don't think I've mentioned that I've gotten my parents completely hooked on мажор. I watched the beginning with my mom, and then she decided we needed to get my dad in so we watched the beginning again. We made it part way through season 2 and now my brother is down here so.. We are starting from the beginning again for him lol. The first episode is so painful to watch. I'm doing a mix of listening to the Russian and reading stupid vampire books on my kindle in French.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 pm

I gave in :( Two things I said I wouldn't do (yet). I started duolingo Russian, which is only from English. I said I wouldn't study Russian from English base. I also started Earworms Russian which I like.
The other thing I said I wouldn't do.. I started duolingo italian and I bought harry potter in italian for my kindle so I can read with pop up dictionary.

I did also remember I said I was going to finish a double super challenge in French this year. I have my page count at home so I can't say where I am right now. I know I finished one pretty early in the year. I'm trying to log a book a week at least right now to be sure I can complete it.

Non language related.. We are having so much fun on this vacation. I really don't want to leave. I went up in the plane with my dad. My first time because I've been too scared - just emotionally, not intellectually. I've let all my kids go up but I couldn't do it myself. Super proud of myself :) (not sure I'll do it again lol). We tried to see some manatees today but they haven't shown up yet :( was really hoping the kids could see them. Maybe next year. We leave Florida in just a few days for NJ where I hear it is cold and yucky. My mom and I are going to try drive straight through the night because staying in a hotel with 5 kids and three dogs is a little crazy lol.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 pm

Ani wrote:Two things I said I wouldn't do (yet). I started duolingo Russian, which is only from English. I said I wouldn't study Russian from English base.

I keep wondering: why not? :)
Especially, if your native language is English, and Russian, although very peculiar and somewhat archaic, still belongs to Indo-European language family.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Willow wrote:
Ani wrote:Two things I said I wouldn't do (yet). I started duolingo Russian, which is only from English. I said I wouldn't study Russian from English base.

I keep wondering: why not? :)
Especially, if your native language is English, and Russian, although very peculiar and somewhat archaic, still belongs to Indo-European language family.

Because I want to keep up that extra bit of practice in French. I promised myself that French would stay my first priority until I pass a C2 exam.. And then I went and added Russian.. And now italian maybe, and I study Greek and Latin with my kids. Language math is a tricky thing :)
My French is definitely comfortable enough to study Russian from. It is just a matter of which resources I then have access to. I actually really love reading the explanations for avoiding common mistakes French people make in Russian and I do think I got more out of the phonetics study I've done by doing it from French. I think French/Russian comparative grammar will be very interesting as I progress in the language.
3 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm

I played around with Duolingo Russian a while back. Something about it I didn't like. Can't remember why.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:54 pm

IronMike wrote:I played around with Duolingo Russian a while back. Something about it I didn't like. Can't remember why.

Hmm.. Well it is possible they've improved whatever was bugging you as I think they've done to most duolingo courses. There are a lot of flaws to the duolingo method though so I'm not really surprised. My biggest problem right now is that they don't let you work with two base languages from the app, so I need to juggle devices. Not a sustainable solution. Fortunately I'm like 20% fluent in Italian already (hahaha) so I should be finished with the course in a few weeks and will switch the app permanently to English.
Hey with all the swimming you do, any tips for preventing swimmers ear? Seems like one of my kids is particularly prone to it.:(

____

So I have had a translation of a book by David Haskell, Écoute l'arbre et la feuille, in my amazon wish list for a while. It was $20 which seems like way too much for a digital copy but I got an unexpected gift certificate from a company the other day and decided to splurge. I am so so happy. I adore this book. Taking a break from Sookie Stackhouse to learn about the world of 12 different trees.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:53 am

Ani wrote:Hey with all the swimming you do, any tips for preventing swimmers ear? Seems like one of my kids is particularly prone to it.:(

A swimmer I used to know used a combo of distilled water, rubbing alcohol and vinegar in a dropper. (At least that's the recipe I remember; there's some online home remedies.) She'd put 3 drops in each ear after swimming. Something about the vinegar cleaning the canal and the rubbing alcohol helping the clogged water evaporate out. (I'm no scientist, obviously.) I've only ever gotten it once, and since then, I always rinse my ears thoroughly in the shower after swimming.

There's commercial OTC remedies too. We've used one of those on our youngest (the big swimmer in the house) before to remove water from her ear and it worked. Удачи!
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Ani wrote:Because I want to keep up that extra bit of practice in French. I promised myself that French would stay my first priority until I pass a C2 exam.. And then I went and added Russian.. And now italian maybe, and I study Greek and Latin with my kids. Language math is a tricky thing :)
My French is definitely comfortable enough to study Russian from. It is just a matter of which resources I then have access to. I actually really love reading the explanations for avoiding common mistakes French people make in Russian and I do think I got more out of the phonetics study I've done by doing it from French. I think French/Russian comparative grammar will be very interesting as I progress in the language.

Oh, I see now :) Then, it worth a try :)
Actually, I constantly use English and Polish in learning German for example, and it works :)
Although, when I was learning Polish I avoided using English, because, only slav can fully understand slav... :D I mean, this language was way more comprehensible from the Russian perspective.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Je suis presque certain que tu as déjà vu plusieurs études comme celle-ci, mais je te donne le lien quand même (c’est au sujet d’alzheimer et les régimes cétogènes).

https://www.lanutrition.fr/alzheimer-la-piste-du-glucose
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:57 am

I'm also on the ketogenic diet. :) I love how I don't crave carbs like I used to, nor do I have the energy slumps. I will insist on eating my berries, though.

As far as wanderlusts, I have contemplated learning Hebrew, Swedish, and Arabic, in addition to French, in the past three weeks. :lol: I have to tell myself, "if you have time to think about learning another language, you should put that time to French!".
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “Language logs”