Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Stelle » Mon May 29, 2017 10:51 am

I'm a bit behind...

Congratulations! Welcome to the world, baby William.

Take care of yourself, Ani.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Ani wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

What did you choose? My problem with these shows is that the dubbing is just lacking.
But basically everything has dubbed audio from Designated Survivor to House of Cards to Anne with an E to Midwife.

I have to force myself to listen to non-English version... sigh.

The dubbing on Netflix original shows is decent quality but yes, it gets tiring. Much nicer to have shows originally in French. Did you watch Marseille yet? I enjoyed that last year. might watch it again even.. Or A Very Secret Service?
I actually didn't find anything. Queen of the South didn't hook me fast enough to put up with the dub. I'm working on finishing up Kaamelott on YouTube and watching lectures with thrilling titles like "Habitons-nous un trou noir?" And "Y a-t-il vraiment eu un big bang" (contre l'idée du big bounce/grand rebond)... Not everyone's cup of tea :)

AND CONGRATS!! (How did I miss that??? :oops:)

I've not watched Marseille or much French material because I get enough with my girls. We even had to watch Guardians of the Galaxy in VF.

I do get to see a few films on Netflix in French - but mostly I'm trying to use it for German. But now it looks like you've given me a few ideas!! Even the physics videos - I have a podcast series on '100 Jahre allgemeine Relativitätstheorie' ...
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue May 30, 2017 9:04 am

zenmonkey wrote:

I've not watched Marseille or much French material because I get enough with my girls. We even had to watch Guardians of the Galaxy in VF.

I do get to see a few films on Netflix in French - but mostly I'm trying to use it for German. But now it looks like you've given me a few ideas!! Even the physics videos - I have a podcast series on '100 Jahre allgemeine Relativitätstheorie' ...

Thank you :)

Oof you are infecting me with the wanderlust. I picked out Relativitätstheorie but had to Google translate the rest. Einstein was so amazing. I guess it was actually Planck who started calling it relativity and Alfred Bucherer who was fist to use the term Relativitätstheorie - theory of relativity. Makes me want to learn German just for all the amazing physicists. :)

( Of course... While relativity stands, we can't invent warp drives. Which is sad.)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue May 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Ani wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

Thank you :)

Oof you are infecting me with the wanderlust. I picked out Relativitätstheorie but had to Google translate the rest. Einstein was so amazing. I guess it was actually Planck who started calling it relativity and Alfred Bucherer who was fist to use the term Relativitätstheorie - theory of relativity. Makes me want to learn German just for all the amazing physicists. :)

( Of course... While relativity stands, we can't invent warp drives. Which is sad.)

We just need to drop out of E-space.

German is also really nice for math and some types of philosophy.
Just saying'. :twisted:
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue May 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Ani wrote:While relativity stands, we can't invent warp drives. Which is sad.)

But time travel is not out of the question:
https://youtu.be/HhA6cxtncgY
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue May 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Reminding me of the Math might just do me in. :ugeek: I really wanna learn Russian but... It's probably just a 600 hour detour to get solid passive skills in German right? I could probably pull that off in like.. 2 months. As long as I give up on sleeping, eating and bathing. :twisted:

PM - I like it! I never thought much of the argument that the best evidence that time travel to the past is impossible is that we don't already know it exists. I have faith that someday we'll sort the wormhole thing out, or find the wrinkles. I think I would have made a good astrogator.

Speaking of astrogation... For my Russian learning friends. Starman Jones apparently was translated into Russian. «Астронавт Джонс» . Seems the ebook might be available online too..
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 pm

Ani wrote:PM - I like it! I never thought much of the argument that the best evidence that time travel to the past is impossible is that we don't already know it exists. I have faith that someday we'll sort the wormhole thing out, or find the wrinkles. I think I would have made a good astrogator.

Then you might find exploring this website interesting:

http://www.janetripp.com/the-pirates-of-time/
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Wed May 31, 2017 2:17 am

So, despite my dreams of some day getting a masters in theoretical physics, or sitting the actuarial exams, or properly speaking 5 languages.. I am clearly never going to accomplish anything since I can't manage to keep my brain on task.. Russian review was going fine today until we got to факт, which is how I feel when I study this language sometimes.. :roll: .. Which then lead me to remember:
foxgiven.jpg

So I had to go check that out, and decided I really need a coffee mug. Then I got back to Russian and came to the word рука, which meant I needed a little Sublime.

And then Caress Me Down came up on the playlist (not linking due to vulgarity) and I realized I remembered all the Spanish almost perfectly despite not having heard that song in at least a few years. I guess music that is a part of you never really goes away. Or stops distracting you from studying. Spanish is a language though so this counts right?

I did manage a tape of FSI and I started a new book, Nymphéas noirs and had about 40 minutes of Russian study.

And because.. wth.. if anyone has advice on beginner German-from-French resources, I'm all ears.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:26 pm

Found IronMike's Guess where I am thread over on the travel board at 3:45a.m. And it totally derailed my plans for going back to sleep..

Being historically and culturally challenged, I have no hope at guessing, but I am ridiculously proud of myself for being able to read императора александра and a few other words off that sign.

Russian is finally getting comfortable enough that I can study for a couple hours at a stretch. It feels like a big break through. This is great -- I needed a break through like that because I realized that without picking up the pace I won't finish my course book this year. Put in some good time the last couple days. Hopefully I can keep it up.
3 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:25 pm

Ani wrote:Found IronMike's Guess where I am thread over on the travel board at 3:45a.m. And it totally derailed my plans for going back to sleep..

Being historically and culturally challenged, I have no hope at guessing, but I am ridiculously proud of myself for being able to read императора александра and a few other words off that sign.

It's written in a bit old Russian. There are letters we haven't used since 1917 or about that time (I forgot the exact date :oops: ). I can read it, of course, but it isn't the same as reading a modern text.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”