Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby MamaPata » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

That sounds really scary! Definitely take it gently until you're in the right place! Fingers crossed for you.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Thu May 04, 2017 6:24 pm

Congrats on the baby!

And take things easy for a while. Do whatever you need in order to feel better and put that as a priority.

Big hugs to you! ;)
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri May 05, 2017 6:54 am

Congratulations, Ani!!! Awesome news!

Does William already have a language learning plan? :-D
4 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri May 05, 2017 7:14 am

Ani wrote:Baby baby baby! Baby baby baby!!

I was gong to post a picture but they are all weird and he won't open his eyes :)

Anyway William is here after an hour and 10 minutes of labor. I did point out that William is a bit hard to pronounce in the flow of French speech. DH says I should just call him Guillaume :)

Now I get to lay in bed with a smushy warm baby and study languages for two weeks hooray :-D

Hey congratulations!
Benvenuto Guglielmo! Welkom Willem! Welcome William! Bienvenue Guillaume! ¡Bienvenido Guillermo!

2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 am

Wow, while I was off in selfish me-world, a baby appeared over in Alaskan your-world. Congratulations Ani on the arrival of William.

Of course you very well know my 2nd child of 2.5 months of age has already completed FIA, FSI and is half way through Mauger. Who's baby will know 10 hundred languages by the age of one and have 768,000 friends? The race is on! Yes, I speak all these languages to my son. Well, I ESP them to him. Ok, alright, he hasn't said much of anything yet, but what's fluency anyway? We're fluent in leaf and branch, just gotta think like them. Have you completed 'Assimil's New Leaf and Branch for Newborns', William? Best hop to it!

Enjoy this time, be kind to yourself and rest well :)
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat May 13, 2017 9:01 am

You guys are awesome :) I have totally found my people.. I'm already working on his language plan and he is really quite advanced, being a balanced triskaideca-lingual.

William is 3 weeks old. I spent the week resting like I said I would and I feel worlds better. No formal studying but I did read a bunch and watched some TV all in French. My brain needs the rest. Decisions are hard when you are sleep deprived and uncomfortable. Deciding what to make for dinner seems impossible so I don't think I should be exerting too much mental effort for studying yet. (Oh who am I kidding, deciding what to serve for dinner is the bane of my existence even when I am on top of things. That is probably not going to get better.). I cheated a little bit and started reading through Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata. I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I took 3 years of latin in highschool and one of my goals this year was to revive some of that knowledge. It is a great book and perfect for what I am doing. I know it has exercises that go with it. I haven't bought those yet but might do so some time in the future.

After the binging threads over in the language discussion, I realized I had absolutely no concept of binge watching TV lol. My idea of "binging" is watching 2.5 episodes a day for a week. :roll: I've been "binging" this week (in my version) and I have *almost* finished season 2 of Sense 8. One episode to go. I am super tempted to stay awake and watch it tonight, but it is already almost 1am and I'd really regret it tomorrow. It is not the best show for language learning because it is not very dialogue rich, but it is quite a guilty pleasure. I'll log a few more hours of Kaamelott after this to bump up my words-input-per-minute-watched after this :lol: I did also hit the halfway point in La fille de papier this week. Musso's books always seem to take a turn at the end so I can't give much of an opinion on it yet. I can say that no matter how the ending goes, it won't hold a candle to Seras-tu là?. I'll just have to keep reading Musso's books to see if he wrote anything else as good as that one :)
9 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon May 15, 2017 7:30 am

Help! I need another really addictive series to watch! Preferably something on Netflix..

I tried Queen of the South. Looks promising but I couldn't hear most of the dialogue because I was on my phone and the dishwasher was running. What else is out there with French audio?

(Also, I need to stop studying Latin. Wtf am I doing?? Did you know Wheelock's is available on archive.org?)
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun May 28, 2017 5:42 am

Making a check in post before my log falls off to the 5th page.

Avoiding formal study only lasted me a couple weeks before my brain began to revolt. I decided to try and figure out the names of French physicists and their books. I found Hubert Reeves and Aurélien Barrau and a channel called Laurence Honnorat which has a collection of physics lectures. Thorough research on books is next but I found some translations and non-translated books on other subjects I needed to have. I might have gone a little nuts buying books on amazon again. I have no self control :(

I do want to update on my double super challenge plans. I started counting everything, but then lost the paper with exact page and hour counts. The short of it is -- I am really close. I'll definitely make the halfway point by the end of June, if not sooner.

This August I might have the chance to fly out for 10 days of training for the catechism class I teach. It's more of a study opportunity since we need to rewrite the program to correspond to our theology. If I can't do it this year, I can't do it for a couple years so I am really hopeful it will work out. I was able to track down one of the course books that I will need in French :) I'm hoping I will be able to find a few others also but so far I haven't found evidence there are translations to be found.

Aaaaand, I have decided I really would like to finish FSI this year, but I haven't really gotten my act together to work on it. Hopefully next week I can start (again). This week is a waste -- my inlaws are staying with us so all my mental energy is going toward trying not to blow up while listening to a regurgitation of Fox News*. Pray for me.. Or send cupcakes.**

* This is a reference to lack of original thought, not politics. Please don't talk politics here.
** as long they are made of prehistoric lichen species and unicorn tears, as I am allergic to everything else.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun May 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Ani wrote:Help! I need another really addictive series to watch! Preferably something on Netflix..

I tried Queen of the South. Looks promising but I couldn't hear most of the dialogue because I was on my phone and the dishwasher was running. What else is out there with French audio?

(Also, I need to stop studying Latin. Wtf am I doing?? Did you know Wheelock's is available on archive.org?)

What did you choose? My problem with these shows is that the dubbing is just lacking.
But basically everything has dubbed audio from Designated Survivor to House of Cards to Anne with an E to Midwife.

I have to force myself to listen to non-English version... sigh.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon May 29, 2017 6:53 am

zenmonkey wrote:

What did you choose? My problem with these shows is that the dubbing is just lacking.
But basically everything has dubbed audio from Designated Survivor to House of Cards to Anne with an E to Midwife.

I have to force myself to listen to non-English version... sigh.

The dubbing on Netflix original shows is decent quality but yes, it gets tiring. Much nicer to have shows originally in French. Did you watch Marseille yet? I enjoyed that last year. might watch it again even.. Or A Very Secret Service?
I actually didn't find anything. Queen of the South didn't hook me fast enough to put up with the dub. I'm working on finishing up Kaamelott on YouTube and watching lectures with thrilling titles like "Habitons-nous un trou noir?" And "Y a-t-il vraiment eu un big bang" (contre l'idée du big bounce/grand rebond)... Not everyone's cup of tea :)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”