Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Elenia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 am

Your daughter is amazing! Well done to her :D I think that this is one of the greatest things about home schooling: being able to actually feed your child's curiosity and desire to learn. Well done to you too, Ani :)

(And if you do brush off the Ravelry account, let me know! We can be friends :D I'm EleniaT over there.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:07 am

Quick update (ha that's totally a lie. I cant stop talking once I start)

I'm down in Florida. The weather is much nicer down here than it was in Alaska. The coral reefs must have been really damaged in the hurricanes. Very cool stuff washing up on the beach. Kids are spending a lot of time in the pool also. My oldest (9 years) has been learning to fly one of my dad's planes. He's having a great time. .. chasing lizards, frogs.
My dad has a couple friends who live down the road. Husband speaks french, wife is Russian. My dad wants me to go out to dinner with them and speak Russian and French. I agreed to the Russian lol my conversation would be over very quickly. I might agree to the rest. I'm not hugely in love with being shown off.
My studying this month wasn't super impressive. I might have hit about 30h in french but once I lost track, I gave up tracking everything. More hours if you count reading and watching but I don't really. I finished a couple more books in french. If I sit down at a computer I'm going to review the like. ... 6 Musso books I've read so far. I've been meaning to do it for months. I'm on to reading the Sookie Stackhouse books in translation after Cavesa mentioned them a while back. I need something fast and addicting while traveling. No attention span for anything serious so it works well.
Russian. .meh.. just review here and there. Not a recipe for successful learning but a day will come when I have free time (hahahaha) and then I'll be ready to really push and I'll have a base to start from. I did promise I was going to learn enough to claim A1 this year so I guess i need to get going for these last two months.

Oh and I got a haircut and started a ketogenic diet and life feels good again :)

Holy autocorrect... I had a heck of a time typing this on my phone. Sorry for any I missed.
7 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 am

Ani wrote:...and started a ketogenic diet and life feels good again :)

Yeah! Wife and I are also on that diet (LCHF). Well, чесно говоря, she's on a strict diet, I still get led astray when my daughters order pizza.

Seriously, though, since going on a lower-carb diet, my LDL has dropped almost 50 pts and my HDL has gone up close to 20. All those other numbers got better, as well. I also completely lost my heartburn, which is lovely. Most docs don't believe me when I say my diet consists mostly of meat, bacon, and fat. ;)
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 am

I’m also on keto! Carbs make me feel like turd. Also cut my hair! Sport-wise, I perform so much better on keto, so much more energy. I’m not totally sold on the restrictions (been doing it on and off for a couple of years), but the way I feel on regular carbs has me desperate to get back to producing ketones. I just feel so much better. Not sure whether it’s my long-term solution yet, but probably best option while I remain more sedentry compared to 15 years back when my metabolism was a kiln and I was a machine. Have you tried keto before Ani?
3 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:

I’m also on keto! Carbs make me feel like turd. Also cut my hair! Sport-wise, I perform so much better on keto, so much more energy. I’m not totally sold on the restrictions (been doing it on and off for a couple of years), but the way I feel on regular carbs has me desperate to get back to producing ketones. I just feel so much better. Not sure whether it’s my long-term solution yet, but probably best option while I remain more sedentry compared to 15 years back when my metabolism was a kiln and I was a machine. Have you tried keto before Ani?

Has anybody tried veganism? We should obviously create a topic "Polyglotism and Diets". It is my favourite topic. Probably, we can do that in the multilanguage room. :)
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:33 pm

IronMike wrote:

Seriously, though, since going on a lower-carb diet, my LDL has dropped almost 50 pts and my HDL has gone up close to 20. All those other numbers got better, as well. I also completely lost my heartburn, which is lovely. Most docs don't believe me when I say my diet consists mostly of meat, bacon, and fat. ;)

Oh my gosh that's awesome. It's been 6 weeks for me now and I have been having a lot less trouble with my immune system, having less swelling and needing fewer antihistamines. I think I'm surviving the disrupted sleep of new parents better. My mom just started three days ago. She's had high cholesterol for like 30 years. We're so interested to see if it positively affects her lipid panel.

PeterMollenburg wrote:

Which restrictions are you not sold on? The way we are doing it is, if it fits your macros, it's OK to eat. For me obviously I need to stick with foods I'm not allergic to, which is a big limitation, but I'm just not willing to fully exclude foods that are otherwise safe for me.
I've never done keto before, no. I have always done high protein low-er carb /slow carb. I had tried Atkins a few times in the past but never got past the carb flu. I've stuck it out up to 10 days but always felt like complete garbage. Couldn't do without my daily cup of sweet potatoes. Then I found out that carb flu is an electrolyte issue. It makes so much sense why I never got past it because I already have electrolyte issues from my immune system problems. I literally started keto the next day. Had to take potassium and magnesium through the night for two weeks but that has totally settled out now and I feel great.

Ольга wrote:Has anybody tried veganism? We should obviously create a topic "Polyglotism and Diets". It is my favourite topic. Probably, we can do that in the multilanguage room. :)

We did have a thread like that but it got shut down. Diets are the new religion it seems.
I did try raw veganism over a decade ago. I gained weight, was always starving, immune disease kicked in full force, became allergic to 20 more foods and had 4 anaphylactic reactions in like 3 months.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Ani wrote:
Which restrictions are you not sold on? The way we are doing it is, if it fits your macros, it's OK to eat. For me obviously I need to stick with foods I'm not allergic to, which is a big limitation, but I'm just not willing to fully exclude foods that are otherwise safe for me.
I've never done keto before, no. I have always done high protein low-er carb /slow carb. I had tried Atkins a few times in the past but never got past the carb flu. I've stuck it out up to 10 days but always felt like complete garbage. Couldn't do without my daily cup of sweet potatoes. Then I found out that carb flu is an electrolyte issue. It makes so much sense why I never got past it because I already have electrolyte issues from my immune system problems. I literally started keto the next day. Had to take potassium and magnesium through the night for two weeks but that has totally settled out now and I feel great.

Well, I tend to stick to a lower than 4% carbohydrate content with all foods, so many vegetables are out, which is fine by me, since starchy vegetables don't make me feel fantastic. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it- what I miss is things like toast (not shitty sugar loaded processed bread - but decent quality paleo bread) and chocolate (no, not standard choc, but pana, without refined sugar). I just miss some carbohydrates at the end of the day, but in order to get one's body to produce ketones, you have to limit carbs or the ketones just won't appear in the presence of insulin/glucose floating around your bloodstream. Why would it. So, perhaps down the path some way I may introduce occasional carbs so that I can at least go the distance (ie remain healthy and not just revert completely away from a keto diet due to feeling to restricted). I guess we work it out as we go.

Yeah, I can understand you have a lot of restrictions. I noticed you mentioned you were on GAPS at one point. My family did this over winter. On the topic of antihistamines/allergies, I notice that when I don't eat bread that my hayfever is significantly less active. When I cut all carbs, the hayfever almost doesn't affect me at all even when flowers/grasses are in full bloom. There's the immune system link for me - sugars (not necessarily 'sugar' but carbs broken down into glucose) in my system = more inflammation = rise in histamines = hayfever.

Atkins I'm not huge on, as I think it's a little too protein heavy for my liking.

Anyway I'm not really providing you with any riveting information here, I just wanted to share. You're not alone out there, but of course you are battling stronger/ more immune system and allergy issues than I. I just want to be healthy and I don't believe mankind for the most part eats optimally for health, but instead for enjoyment predominantly. Eat to live, not live to eat ;) Peace, out.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:10 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:[
Well, I tend to stick to a lower than 4% carbohydrate content with all foods, so many vegetables are out, which is fine by me, since starchy vegetables don't make me feel fantastic. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it- what I miss is things like toast (not shitty sugar loaded processed bread - but decent quality paleo bread) and chocolate (no, not standard choc, but pana, without refined sugar). I just miss some carbohydrates at the end of the day, but in order to get one's body to produce ketones, you have to limit carbs or the ketones just won't appear in the presence of insulin/glucose floating around your bloodstream. Why would it. So, perhaps down the path some way I may introduce occasional carbs so that I can at least go the distance (ie remain healthy and not just revert completely away from a keto diet due to feeling to restricted). I guess we work it out as we go.

Yeah, I can understand you have a lot of restrictions. I noticed you mentioned you were on GAPS at one point. My family did this over winter. On the topic of antihistamines/allergies, I notice that when I don't eat bread that my hayfever is significantly less active. When I cut all carbs, the hayfever almost doesn't affect me at all even when flowers/grasses are in full bloom. There's the immune system link for me - sugars (not necessarily 'sugar' but carbs broken down into glucose) in my system = more inflammation = rise in histamines = hayfever.

Atkins I'm not huge on, as I think it's a little too protein heavy for my liking.

Anyway I'm not really providing you with any riveting information here, I just wanted to share. You're not alone out there, but of course you are battling stronger/ more immune system and allergy issues than I. I just want to be healthy and I don't believe mankind for the most part eats optimally for health, but instead for enjoyment predominantly. Eat to live, not live to eat ;) Peace, out.

Well. . If you don't want to do keto with the restrictions you've added, might I suggest you don't? :) Technically a ketogenic diet is any diet with under 50g net carbs per day. Most people do under 20 but there is a process for figuring out how many grams you can eat per day and stay in ketosis. I don't really know much about paleo bread but I just looked some up and they are like 2 net carbs per slice? You could totally fit that in your macros. I like to use mine on strawberries or cantelope. And I'm not sure I'd be on board without chocolate :)
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 am

Ani wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:[

Well. . If you don't want to do keto with the restrictions you've added, might I suggest you don't? :) Technically a ketogenic diet is any diet with under 50g net carbs per day. Most people do under 20 but there is a process for figuring out how many grams you can eat per day and stay in ketosis. I don't really know much about paleo bread but I just looked some up and they are like 2 net carbs per slice? You could totally fit that in your macros. I like to use mine on strawberries or cantelope. And I'm not sure I'd be on board without chocolate :)

Nah, I already have done it without the restrictions as you suggest and I don't get the benefits (rarely in ketosis)... still I do okay I guess like that compared to eating carbs regularly. I would say that a ketogenic diet is any diet that allows one to produce ketones. Therefore it might be 50g on average of net carbs/day, but for some people it's likely to be more, some less. Not to mention different amounts of protein tolerance before you start gluconeogensis. I understand what you're saying, and i'm not strictly debating your point (I agree in theory), but obviously (and you probably know this too) that that number (of carbs) can vary per person. I don't know if i'm below it or not, but I do know that I do feel physically better with the restrictions. I'm probably in all honesty eating over 50g carbs, that's prob what it is when I think about it (when I do eat the pana choc for example, which isn't currently). Good point on the paleo bread.... lemme check the brand we use here... 15.5 grams of carbohydrate per slice, 22 grams of carbohydrate per 100 grams (no not eating that currently either, but when I do, I feel sub-par). I tend to go by percentages more (but of course total carb volume does matter). My target is below 4%, at a stretch 6%. Looking at the numbers just cited, the paleo bread we buy (my wife buys) is 22% carbohydrate. Too high, even if I eat one eighth of a slice. Obviously it's marketed as paleo bread, but in actuality it is not that paleo, when you take a look at the numbers. For that matter, since when did paleolithic man eat bread, of any kind? I mean I should know, I was there :) The paleo bread you have access to is clearly much more like the real deal though (lower in carbs). It appears though, bread aside, that i'm stricter regardless. I won't eat any fruit (I do know that I can, but while being super strict I just won't). Clearly there are variations of paleo/keto and all that jazz. Each to their own. I may very well reintroduce some carbs (like pana choc) down the track, but for now, I need to go strict for a good while until I feel ready. Mmmmm chocolate... ;)
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 am

Ani wrote:
IronMike wrote:

Oh my gosh that's awesome. It's been 6 weeks for me now and I have been having a lot less trouble with my immune system, having less swelling and needing fewer antihistamines. I think I'm surviving the disrupted sleep of new parents better. My mom just started three days ago. She's had high cholesterol for like 30 years. We're so interested to see if it positively affects her lipid panel.

It is probably too late for you, but I advise anyone who is about to start a LCHF or keto diet to get a blood panel first. Then, a year or so later, get it again and compare the results. I'm lucky that the military pretty much mandates annual physicals, so I have multiple years of blood tests to look at and compare. I'm not the most religious about following LCHF (weekdays my most common carb is my evening beer, but weekends when my girls order pizza...daddy needs his slice of pepperoni!) and still my numbers have improved since 2013 when we started. It is amazing the results. I've known people who have gotten off statins doing this diet, which is wonderful.

Ольга wrote:Has anybody tried veganism? We should obviously create a topic "Polyglotism and Diets". It is my favourite topic. Probably, we can do that in the multilanguage room. :)

Ольга, years ago the wife and I were vegetarians. Actually, pescovegetarians (but when we told folks that, they didn't understand) for almost twenty years. (Had to quit and go back to a meat diet due to health problems from the veggie diet.) For about six weeks I tried vegan. I quit when I actually had nightmares of me gorging myself on pizza and Doritos. ;)
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”