Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 pm

It's a holiday weekend here so I am not sure exactly how much time I will get to study. My husband wants to like.. actually spend time with me and stuff. pshhh! :lol: No actually he works so much during the summer that I am ridiculously happy to have him home for a few days with the job site shut down so he won't be stressing about it or getting urgent phone calls.

And also... I think we are overdue for a baby picture
evensmallerWilliam.jpg

So I am plugging along at A Comprehensive French Grammar by Price. Quite a nice book. I am reading ahead and when I have time, I started a notebook of all of the interesting translated expressions just by folding each page in half. I write the French on the left and the English on the right so that I can cover the French and translate back to the French from English. I have no issues going from French to English, but I don't have a great grasp of nuance going from English to French. That actually seems weird to me now that I say it, but I don't seem to have French and English well linked.

I have been thinking, I probably have too many goals. I seem to be achieving them decently, but I also stack up the pile faster than I can clear it off. Sometimes my brain thinks so much it feels like it might literally catch on fire. I hope you can't really think so hard that your brain catches on fire. That'd be a real bummer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Cute pic. Looks like he has a pretty intense gaze.

I once bought a French grammar book. Can't say I've ever used it, though.

;)
Last edited by tastyonions on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 pm

tastyonions wrote:Cute pic. Looks like has a pretty intense gaze.

I once bought a French grammar book. Can't say I've ever used it, though.

;)

Thank you.
So what did you use then?

For example, from GPdF avancé

« Les » généralise mais en lassant possibles des exceptions :
Les Français voyagent peu à l'étranger [= en général, ils ne voyagent pas beaucoup mais certains voyagent plus]
« Le »,« la » généralisent mais sans exception.
Le Français est fier de sa culture [=tous les Français sont fiers.]

I never would have picked up that nuance from extensive reading, so would highly likely have misused it, or it would have been a matter of luck had I gotten it right. Maybe I am just really bad at learning languages, but I don't want my ability and accuracy to be based on the luck of having assimilated the right phrases in the right context which clarified them.
I think it is a little bit like musicians who play by ear. Playing by ear is a great skill, but no musician was ever hurt by the formal study of music even if he or she seems to have started off with the natural talent.
5 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:00 pm

I wouldn't say that I play it all by ear. I have consulted various grammar sites over the years many times whenever I come across something puzzling or have a doubt about how to put something correctly. I would probably benefit from more systematic grammar study, but I am simply too lazy for it.

:D
3 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:19 am

Ani wrote:I hope you can't really think so hard that your brain catches on fire. That'd be a real bummer.

Oh, I don't know. You could really save on those heating bills. :)

William is growing up fast! He's got a good head of hair already too :D
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:58 am

Apparently you don't present the typical characteristics for spontaneous human combustion.
Lovely picture!!
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:37 am

What a cutie!

I have been dithering back and forth on the Grammaire Progressive series. I have a bad track record with grammars, so I don't want it to be a waste of money. However I also know that fear of making mistakes is one of the things that holds me back from speaking French.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:19 pm

Handsome little guy!

I like your translating back-and-forth thing. That's a pretty old school method, but it seems to have had good results back in the day.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:37 am

neofight78 wrote:
Oh, I don't know. You could really save on those heating bills. :)

William is growing up fast! He's got a good head of hair already too :D

Well that'd be a plus! It can get pretty chilly here. Are you in a place that gets warm for summer? I always think Russia should have a climate similar to Alaska but I suppose you are actually a fair bit souther-er (real word, promise) than me.

Systematiker wrote:Handsome little guy!

I like your translating back-and-forth thing. That's a pretty old school method, but it seems to have had good results back in the day.

Is that what they call the "grammar translation method"? I was kind of wondering what exactly that would mean, but if I had to name what I am doing that sounds about right :)

Elenia wrote:What a cutie!

I have been dithering back and forth on the Grammaire Progressive series. I have a bad track record with grammars, so I don't want it to be a waste of money. However I also know that fear of making mistakes is one of the things that holds me back from speaking French.

One thing I really like about A Comprehensive French Grammar by Price is that they frequently clarify things with always, never, and "some exceptions" or "a lot of exceptions and you need to memorize each case". It is very good for my perfectionist nature to know that I am not going to travel down the line and find a bunch of exceptions that I was making mistakes with all along in my ignorance! GPdF doesn't have that benefit. It also gives me a good sense of where I need to seek out more input, which I think is better for memorizing lots of weird exceptions phrase by phrase, or where I need to drill, which I think is better for patterns.

-----

I survived the holiday weekend. Usually we go camping for the 4th of July with some good friends but this year we did a bbq. I like being around people in general (sometimes, usually) but the careful navigation of this get together completely wore me out. Coupled with the fact that I had no safe food for the whole 5ish hours (accidentally contaminated my own dish that should have been me-safe), it was a pretty big challenge.

Anyway, one of my favorite summer phenomena is happening this week. It is snowing cottonwood fluff. It is a lot like what you blow off dandelions, but so much more that it looks like it is snowing for almost a week straight and it starts to drift into piles along the walkways and edges of the parking lots. I took a picture today. I'll have to see if I can post it. This year it has rained a few times during the cottonwood drop, but last year it got so crazy I was sweeping it out of the house for a month after! I guess most people don't like it, but I think it is quite fun.

So, back to studying. Keeping on with the Glossika and the French grammar. Reading another Musso :lol: also Bussi and a Levy at the same time. I should probably update the beginning of this log with all the books I read in French this year and some reviews. I'll think about doing that. Right now I am going back to studying :)
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:28 am

Ani wrote:Well that'd be a plus! It can get pretty chilly here. Are you in a place that gets warm for summer? I always think Russia should have a climate similar to Alaska but I suppose you are actually a fair bit souther-er (real word, promise) than me.

Indeed, it's an entirely grammatilogically correct word. So far this summer we've had several weeks at around 30oC, so yes it get's reasonably warm at summertime. I guess -35 wintertime and +35 summertime is a normal temperature range here.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”