Tristano's log 2017: Wanderland in the Netherlusts

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Tristano's log 2017: Hebrew

Postby reineke » Wed May 03, 2017 2:26 am

I think this would be the wrong time to start agreeing with you. You can flip that Russian-Hebrew sandwich over and work on Russian. If that doesn't work out you can try with the soft Romance center. A nice thing about Romance languages is that you have the freedom to make them easy or hard and in both cases you can enjoy high levels of functionality. Have you considered German?
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Wed May 03, 2017 7:26 am

Hahahaha :D
Yes, I considered German. But it looks like it is Dutch without double vowels, umlauts everywhere, three genders and some consonant change. Als ich prohbier in das Niederlander te schreiben mit welche klein Veranderung, het leicht dat ich in das Deutsch schreib! Et Voila, ich kahn Deutsch schreiben! Schmetterling!!!! mwhuahahahaha. :evil: :evil: :evil:

--

Pimsleur 59/90, that means that another episode and I finished the second horribly autopunitive chapter. I'm proud of myself of sticking with it so long.
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff

Postby Tristano » Thu May 04, 2017 9:45 am

Pimsleur Hebrew II last episode (60/90)! whooo
Now other 30. I'm not having problems with this course, as all the problems I have are tied with the alphabet (with whom I spent anyway too little time to babycry about it).

Yesterday I was testing Clozemaster because I read about it on this forum (I hate/love all of you :evil:). Fantastic I think, let's try with Hebrew! Wait, too difficult. Let's try it with Dutch! Wait, too boring. Let's try it with Russian! Shit, also too difficult! Let's try it with Portuguese. Too easy. After 25 levels, 249 correct answers, 1 wrong one. Ooooh this is so nice. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

EDIT: found something much more useful to do. Nederlands -> German. And no, I'm not going to learn German properly, but being able to read amazon.de or german websites without having to use google translate would be great. But, overall, DAMMIT!

But, back about Hebrew: I was very fluent in answering Pimsleur this morning :ugeek:
1 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Re: Tristano's log 2017: Hebrew (A.K.A. The undecided language learner)

Postby Tristano » Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am

Hebrew Pimsleur III, Episode 1
The speakers of the III speak more slowly and clear than in the II, weird choice.
Last edited by Tristano on Sun May 07, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Sat May 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Alhoewel ik geen echte reden heb om in deze forum in het Nederlands te schrijven, soms is het cool om te doen, tenminste om te bewijzen dat ik de taal daadwerkelijk heb geleerd (perfect zeg ik natuurlijk niet). 8-) :x

Ik vind het best raar, mijn leven is nu 50% in het Nederlands, 30% in het Engels en 10% in het Italiaans. Soms heb ik veel moeite om welke moedertaal te begrijpen, vooral die die in dialect praten, en welke manager wie te snel en in een luie manier praten :D Mijn gebruik van de taal is meestal op werk (lezen, schrijven, luisteren en spreken) en praten met mensen van de dorp waarin ik woon, of familieleden van mijn vriendin. Ik bekijk weinig televisie en lees ik bijna niet in het Nederlands buiten werk. Heel jammer, ik ben bewust ervan. Ik ben sowieso trots op mezelf want ik heb geleerd de taal eindelijk! Ik heb zoveel geklacht en gehuild dat de taal zo moeilijk was maar wat een enorme prestatie! Nederlands heeft mijn leven verbeterd. Nu heb ik een vriendin die Nederlands spreekt en een kleine dochter die straks in het Nederlands en Italiaans gaat praten 8-) Alle die jaren waarin ik niet heb geluisterd naar mijn expats vrienden die zeggen "Nederlands leren is nutteloos! Je kunt maar alles in het Engels doen omdat iedereen in dit land Engels kan spreken". Toen wist ik niet waarom wilde ik Nederlands leren, nu weet ik wel.

Oh en Nederlands klinkt niet zo boos als je in Den Haag niet woont :lol:
Last edited by Tristano on Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 pm

I sincerely apologize with every member of this forum about the title I previously set on this log ("the bipolar language learner"). I don't suffer of any psychiatric condition and I recognize that I've been not particularly smart in thinking that joking about a serious medical condition could result funny and not offend any member of the forum who might suffer himself or having someone beloved who suffers of this condition.

I therefore changed my title and i renew my apologies. (To clarify: I've been contacted by the moderation about the title and I changed it as requested. The apologies though come entirely from myself as I'm sincerely sorry about this incident and my lack of tact.)
2 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 am

So, until now my Hebrew sucks big times but I have a good excuse for it (I'm still a beginner!). On the plus side I exchange every day at work a couple of words in Hebrew with my colleague and that is fun to do. I listened to a couple of episodes of the 'kama regaim be ivrit' podcast and I found it nice to do, even though I can't really get much out of it. The episodes (in English) go over a certain word or situation and it is expanded to show how in different ways the words are used, also using songs. It ends with a monologue entirely in Hebrew, which I can understand some words and I'm already happy for that. Maybe I should listen to a 10 minutes per day or full speed native Hebrew to train my ears to the rhythm of the language. I'm going to check on Tunein if I find a good radio station. All the fun is at least two years away from now (when I can understand enough to enjoy native resources).

I'm keeping doing some round of Clozemaster (NL to DE) during my most hidden moments (like toilet breaks, lol). I'm going to Italy with the car in June, that means that I will pass by Germany. Whether my girlfriend speaks some German, it is inevitable that I end up learning it. Now I don't really need to speak it, but improving passive comprehension is all gold (unless it takes me away precious Hebrew studying time, which it doesn't).
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt

Postby Tristano » Tue May 09, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm going to discontinue this log.

Motivation: this is very boring. 5 pages and only 4 users commented. It is comprehensible, because the content of this log is very weak.
- hey I'm going to do Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No German! And Hebrew! Hey, I know Dutch!

Therefore I'm going to face this problem in three steps:
1) I'm no longer writing on this log.
2) I'm going to study how to write a log that is enjoyable to read and enjoyable to write.
3) I'm then going to write a new log where I will apply my new ideas.

Why do I care?
Well, writing and reading bad content also takes time, plus is unrewarding.
3 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy reading your log! I am definitely a lurker on this forum - I never know what to say. But I can promise that it's being read!
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Actually I read it as well. But I'm a lurker! I suspect many do read you log, they just don't comment. However, don't let us stop you if you feel you need a change of direction. I know I often worry about what to write in my log, it always seem to be a constant repetition. But that is just the nature of the game. You’re studying the same thing for a long time, it is difficult to find new things to say. :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”