Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, German)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, German)

Postby Willow » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:00 pm

First of all, I'd like to greet anyone who will visit this topic: Hi! And feel free and comfortable to talk with me :) Or correct me, if there is such a necessity.
And, yes, I'm a new member on this page, and to be honest it was difficult for me to chose what to begin with. So, I decided to create a log, for here I feel a bit more free and at ease. And, according to rules, I can use here (inside the log) whatever language I want, right? Because I'm mostly interested in conversations and practical usage of languages, that I learn/speak/write. Grammar and theoretical questions are interesting fiels for discussion as well.
What's more? Perhaps, it's essential to provide some information on account of languages I use. Let's strart with English. It's not my native, although it was my second language or my first foreign languge, which I had learned since I started my school. First steps were terrible: I mean, I had some knowledge about grammar, but I couldn't speak at all, and unfortunately, it was a challange to me to think in that language. Later I solved that problem, for I understood one thing: I read a lot, and that made my thoughts way too complicated; small limited useful vocabulary given in workbooks gave prevented me from expressing myself. So, here begins my reading epoch :D I started with Jane Austin, later I've chosen A K Doyle, then followed a chain of contemporary authors: Bradbury, Geiman, Pratchett, Fowles, Herbet... And, actually, it helped a lot. I suspect I stil have problems with grammar and sentence structure(because I use uncounsciously some Polish and Russian patterns), but anyway I'm able some pieces of writing and have a conversation on whatever topic I want :)
It's difficult to estimate myself right now, but I had a certified advanced level in English some time ago or, to be more precise, 3 years ago. I am not sure about the present state of things, I'm afraid I'm loosing grip on my English and I need to polish it and develop it further, so, hopefully, I'll accomplish that :) Also one of my aims is an ability to perform my creative writing in English (and Polish), for I have friends from different countries, who ask me to share my worlds and stories with them :oops: So it's importaint.
And to be continued, because I haven't written about other languages yet.
Last edited by Willow on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Re: Willow's log (Russian, English, Polish, Spanish)

Postby Willow » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Teraz to może lepiej pisać po polsku, bo będę gadać o polskim :) Już trochę o tym napisałam, ale chcę dodać. Byłam zafascynowana tym językiem od dziecka, bo miałam prababcię-polkę, pamiętam nawet jak kupiłam w księgarni słownik rosyjsko-polski, ale na tym to się skończyło. I przez dłuższy czas zapomniałam o tym, ale zapoznałam w internecie chłopaka (a teraz swojego męża) polaka. I nic nie planowałam z wyjazdem do polski, ale właśnie w tym momencie miałam straszny stan depresyjny, i on był jedną-jedyną osobą, co mnie wspierała. No i nie będę już mówić o innych szczegółach , ale teraz mieszkam w Toruniu, otoczona jego rodziną, próbuję się uczyć i pracować.
Mieszkam w Polsce od dwóch lat, i uczyłam się gadać i czytać z bajek dziecięcych, co naprawdę mocno mi pomogło. Nie uczyłam się gramatyki z podręczników - uczyłam się słownictwa - i od razu gadałam. Potem czytałam Sapkowskiego, teraz skończyłam czytać Sienkiewicza "Quo Vadis". Moi przyjaciele-polacy mówią, że gadam płynnie, mam wielkie słownictwo, ale czasami używam dość dziwnych zwrotów i odmian. Na przykład:
Ciemna cisza, szalona wolność,
Burza w serce i niebezpieczność.
Gwiazdy toną w szepczących fałach,
Niebo łączy się z morzem – wieczność?
Woda niesie mnie w wolnym locie,
Czy ja płynę? A może padam?
Jestem kroplą straconą w prądzie.
To jest nowy początek świata?
Czy to koniec i już zbyt późno?
Gdzie jest Alfa, a gdzie – Omega?
Wrócić? Raczej to będzie próżno.
W tym chaosie nie widać brzegu.

O tym wierszu mi było powiedziano, że widać, że pisał nie Polak :D A ja jestem zainteresowana w tym, żeby pisać i gadać prawie jako native speaker :)
I polskiego uczyłam się o wiele szybciej, niż angielskiego, podejrzewam, to dlatego, że mój język natywny jest słowiańskim językiem:)
1 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:07 pm

Probably I should do a little summary in English about my reasons to learn Polish, for my last post was about it :)
Mostly these reasons are connected with my family matters:
1. I'm married to Pole, and we are living in Poland currently;
2. I have a polish blood, running in my viens, so I'm interested in my cultural inheritance.
Actually, I didn't use grammar books, learning Polish. I started with the fairytales and legends. Such stories usually have very simple, although picturesque language and they realy helped me to expand my vocabulary at the very beginning. Then followed more serious authors and right now I'm reading "Ogniem i Mieczem" part 1st, written by Henryk Sienkiewicz, also I talk with my polish surrounding a lot, and watch polish films and videos.
The downside of such learning approach is that I use rather strange syntax patterns in my speach and writings, so it's visible that language is not my native. But my aim is to be able to perform creative writings on the same level as native speakers possibly could.
My language progress appeared to be much quicker, than with English, either it's because my native language is also slavic, or the reason is that I live among native speakers. Perhaps the both assumptions are true :)
4 x

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Witamy na forum :D
0 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:05 pm

Mooby wrote:Witamy na forum :D

A cześć, cześć, miło mi :D
I też witam serdecznie w tym swoim wątku :)
0 x

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Turning to Spanish.
It isn't really impressive now. At the moment I'm learning the most basic things... And reading song lyrics to catch the sintax and gather some vocabulary. Would anybody like to share the names of some good spanish (singing in that language) rock bands and name some traditional Spanish fairytales/legends? :roll: I'd really be very much grateful, especially that I'm such texts as my next step.
What's more? I'm brosing some educational sites lately in search for material and exercises. Does it help. As for now I'm not sure, but we'll see :)
And I'm really slow at this. I don't set any time-borders as I go, I just do it in my tempo. To be honest, I'm not in competitive mood lately :(
0 x

Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Postby Sol » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Willow wrote:Turning to Spanish.
It isn't really impressive now. At the moment I'm learning the most basic things... And reading song lyrics to catch the sintax and gather some vocabulary. Would anybody like to share the names of some good spanish (singing in that language) rock bands and name some traditional Spanish fairytales/legends? :roll: I'd really be very much grateful, especially that I'm such texts as my next step.
What's more? I'm brosing some educational sites lately in search for material and exercises. Does it help. As for now I'm not sure, but we'll see :)
And I'm really slow at this. I don't set any time-borders as I go, I just do it in my tempo. To be honest, I'm not in competitive mood lately :(

I don't know any Spanish bands, but there is Kevin Karla y La Banda who cover popular English songs in Spanish. Since these songs are played and played hundreds of times in English, hearing them in Spanish is a good way to learn new vocab.

You might find Clozemaster really good for exercises in a ton of languages, including Spanish.
1 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:54 pm

Witam na forum Willow! I hope to be able to write a little Polish with you this year.

In regards to music in Spanish, here are a few options:

Omar Rodríguez López - Heeaaaps of his music has vocals in Spanish. But I would highly recommend his Omar Rodríguez López Group work, which has Ximena Sariñana on vocals. Los Sueños de un Hígado is an awesome album. - Sueños de un Hígado

Pappo's Blues - Straight-up Argentinian 70's rock and roll. Sucio y Desprolijo

Pescado Rabioso - Artaud. One of my favourite albums in any language. A solo album by Luis Alberto Spinetta "El Flaco" (though recorded under the band name Pescado Rabioso due to contract reasons). An Argentinian legend. - Pescado Rabioso - Artaud

Chambao. Relaxing tunes from Andalucía - Pokito a Poko

Silvio Rodriguez - a Cuban singer, guitarist, songwriter, protester, poet. The album Al Final de este Viaje is a monument, and the song Ojalá, one of the most well known and beloved in the Spanish language. Ojalá

That should keep you busy for now and give you some paths to explore. All the best with the Polish and Spanish this year!
1 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 am

Yes, some of those late 60s early 70s Argentine rock groups have albums that conceptually and from a pure musical standpoint are absolute gems not enough people know about. But you must be into classic 60s rock to really get into it I guess. Also the lyrics and albums by bands like Pescado Rabioso (Manal is another one), really dive into Argentine history and the events of the time. Argentina in the early 70s was the only remaining democracy with elected government in South America along with Colombia, but there was a lot of stuff going on that would precede the Junta. But they are a great way to kill three birds with one stone: learn language, learn music, and learn history.

It depends what the OP likes in music, but obviously Latin America has more than enough to accommodate any tastes.

Just last night I was walking back to my dorm and from the Ukrainian students' dorm section I was hearing both Ukrainian and Korean being spoken from through a door, from where Fidel Nadal's "International Love" was blaring, Spanish lyrics and all.

An American in China hearing a Angolan-Argentine singer's hit in Spanish being played from a Ukrainian dorm where Koreans were crashing. True story :P

That my friends is the definition of Globalization. It's a whole new (small) big World!
2 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Willow
Yellow Belt

Postby Willow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Sol wrote:I don't know any Spanish bands, but there is Kevin Karla y La Banda who cover popular English songs in Spanish. Since these songs are played and played hundreds of times in English, hearing them in Spanish is a good way to learn new vocab.

You might find Clozemaster really good for exercises in a ton of languages, including Spanish.

O, thank you :) Actually, I searched the web and found the Mexican band called Luzbel, their lyrics appeared to be not so diffcult for begginer :) But I will look for Kevin Karla y La Banda, thanks a lot :)
And I tried that link with exercises, it was a real fun :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”