Whodathunkitz log French, Tagalog, Dutch, Cebuano, Spanish, Esperanto

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Re: Whodathunkitz log Cebuano Spanish Esperanto

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:10 pm

elco2 wrote:Hi there I've dug my Esperanto out of the basement as well, finding some good materials to work with such as The Esperantist on Gutenberg (vocab), Bible https://newchristianbiblestudy.org/bible/esperanto/ (familiar text), and some children's stories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fmqZmaojaA&list=PLPDzF0B97OtGYLPwIiGpRjIXigF6tn1tb (listening).

Pero, ayaw malimtan nga sige kag magbisya :)

Salamat. kada adlaw sa bisaya, apan gamay nga tuon ko. Komusta ka? Asa man ka - sa pilipinas? Ako sa england - mura moadto sa pilipinas sunod nga tuig.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.

Arguelles back and forth - 4 languages on readlang

Postby Whodathunkitz » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Watched one of Professor Arguelles youtube videos (well, 5) - one in particular was the 'back and forth' one where he suggested doing 10 mins in each language and back to another (if for example learning French and German) if you only had an hour rather than 30 minutes each. I thought he would suggest 10 and 50 minutes, but he DIDN'T.

Well... earlier today I had to open a new account and had a trainee and a more senior person. One was Polish and one was from India (and spoke Hindi). The process was a bit slow and boring (but all sitting comfortably in chairs) and I chucked in a few words of both languages that I happen to know. I just have set phrases from the time I used to travel and was interested in languages but didn't have the faintest idea of how to learn (HTLAL and L-R were the keys I needed). I really enjoyed myself.

Well, I just did 4 languages on readlang that I have some understanding of. Each just 1 or 2 short articles except dutch which was a song.

1) Esperanto - I found it the hardest, I haven't got a very good vocab and all the cxu ciuj etc confused me. I didn't study it much before (and did so as a course, not L-R). It was a fantastic gateway to opening my brain up to learning languages but I need more practice. Oh yeah, it was poetry, so harder than science or non-fiction.

2) Cebuano - best by far - I understood most of it - when I tried to use readlang (custom dictionary on Filipino, personal content) for the words that I didn't know, it rarely helped. Felt quite fluent as I read.

3) Spanish - MUCH easier than Esperanto to me, needed some dictionary support but it flowed.

4) Dutch - understood much of it and flowed well, with quite a bit of dictionary support followed by 'doh!' as I got the variation on English or schooldays German. I haven't 'studied' Dutch - bits and pieces.

So, my order of competence (still pretty low by your standards) is:-

1) Cebuano - ideal
2) Spanish
3) Dutch
4) Esperanto

No major discoveries but I had shied away from back and forth - but maybe not now. I also suspect that listening to a wider range of sounds, prosody and language structures from a variety of languages will be good for me and mixing up might help fluidity in my brain.

So I'm not afraid of mixing up language learning now.
4 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: Arguelles back and forth - 4 languages on readlang

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:17 pm

Whodathunkitz wrote:I haven't got a very good vocab and all the cxu ciuj etc confused me.

I think you mean the tabelvortoj

The way I learned these was to memorize all of one set. I started with the -iam set:

Ĉiam - Always
Iam - Sometimes
Kiam - When
Neniam - Never
Tiam - Then

So once I had those memorized I memorized the K word for each of the other categories

Kia - What kind of...
Kial - Why
Kie - Where
Kiel - How
Kio - What (noun)
Kiom - How much
Kiu - What (adjective)

So, once I had both of those sets memorized, I spent a little while working things out in my head whenever I saw one...

Like:

Nenio...
Starts with Nen- like Neniam... so it's negated
Ends with -io like Kio....
...Must be "nothing"

But fairly quickly I started to be able to use them fluently.

Hope this is helpful
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 am

Long time between posts again..

Passed 4 technical exams (normally a years' worth for most people) in 2 weeks. Perhaps 250 hours of study material (courses, videos) done very intensely using pomodoro. Language learning techniques of using multiple sources and letting it flow over me helped, rather than my old style of detailed learning from one source (book).

Speaking Cebuano every day. Esperanto with kid halted as September approaches with him starting Spanish at school.

Eventually found a compromise with my son on exposure to Spanish - play roblox videos in Spanish (kora - youtube) on TV while he plays the same on tablet. No TV while using tablet other than parents' choices.

Not sure he's learning, but hopefully getting an ear for the sounds and when I'm around, I'll translate some of the words out loud absent-mindedly (for my own purposes, seemingly).

Also, he's picking up on a few words he knows from the User Interface and the level name.

Possible jobs in Germany and Abu Dhabi - so have dabbled a little with German and Arabic.
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 am

Tagalog / Bisaya

Interested in Leo's Tagalog course - https://languagetools.io/book/1

Just noticed Teango's posts - https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11283 - so will look at Bisaya (Cebuano) resources at some stage and then tagalog too. Also, the 3 day project suits me too. Unpredictable life, prefer short/intense projects. L-R (listening reading) the bible is similar - one gospel a week I did before for Cebuano.
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 83#p151100

================================================
French
Off on a roadtrip in a month for Christmas.

Aim is go to at least Southern France (Nice?) and possibly to Italy (ideally Rome) - but I will be flexible as it's 1000 miles (1600km) or so to Nice and only me driving with passengers who don't like to travel fast.

So, crash course in French - partly for fun, practical use in restaurants / shops / museums and as a learning challenge. I know very little despite 3 years aged 10-13 roughly. I think I had 3 verbs (not conjugated) and lots of stories about the teacher's time in France with his dog (in English, although the dog understood French).

Also might be useful for techy jobs in Belgium.

Plan:-

1. Resources - LLORG etc
  2. Syllabus (partly below)
  3. Pronounciation
  4. Prosody
  5. Audio Books - Listening Reading (fast/flow over me) plus intensive (detail of a small section)
    1. Bible - either same story, different styles - Mark, Matthew, Luke as I did before followed if I have time by John, Acts OR Systematiker's suggestion of same style but different narrative of Matthew, John, Luke, Acts)
    2. Aesop's fables
    3. Librovox
  6. Videos - Themes of interest - Electric Vehicles, history, Nice and Southern France; drama - history; documentaries (as above). Friends? Netflix French.
  7. Practice, unlike other language learning, I have access to 2 people at work who speak and probably can explain grammar!
  8. Essential phrases cheat sheet
  9. Dialogues (dialogs - USA) cheat sheet - similar to a few youtube polyglots who have got great pronounciation and mastery over a limited / focused set of themes (why/how I learn, your language/culture/history is interesting, where are you from, some cute slang. Makes meeting conversation fluid and fun.
  10. Less focus on apps, but I do have more chance to use them on commutes/otherwise dead time than other things:- 10,000 sentences, memrise, duolingo. 10,000 sentences is simple, fast and doesn't rely on internet connection once downloaded.
  11. Karaoke - look up words too - Readlang and lyricstraining.
  12. Repeatedly skim-read simple grammar explanations
2 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Re: Whodathunkitz log French, Tagalog, Dutch, Cebuano, Spanish, Esperanto

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:52 pm

TTS (Computer) French - but a start - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksqrw-0 ... IyHogMOR0a
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:31 am

19 nov 2019 french listened to almost all of mark and 19/28 Matthew gospels.

Understood a bit but mostly just listening and some time reading too. Intention was to make a start with sounds and splitting text into words.

Some memrise, 10000 sentences and Duolingo
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:22 pm

French,

Day 4 of 30 day French learning experiment. Not always had sufficient phone battery etc on commute.

Audio book - new testament bible gospels - all of Mark, Matthew and 9 (of 24) of Luke listened to. I prefer same story in different styles. Easier to follow / guess meaning.

First 6 of 40 of Thinking Method's Introduction to French. Also known as Language Transfer.

A little bit of apps, prosody video.

Progress:- I can pick up words in speech easier, I'm loading brain with most common words/sounds - so when I finally see the meanings of AUSSITO"T and CAR, they will be in a different context and hopefully be learned. French prosody / flow seems less odd now. Audiobook - about one third reading while listening and 2/3 just listening (as text requires internet on the app I use).

Next: I might try out readlang with youtube bible. More Thinking Method/Language Transfer. I might buy a newspaper for when I can't or don't want to use a screen. No chance to practice with anyone at work yet.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Since you are using the Bible as a resource, I can recommend trying Thru The Bible. This is a Bible Study podcast, originally a radio broadcast, of roughly half an hour with a transcript. Go to the languages icon and select French and you will be able to search by Book and Chapter. The Chapter study is based on the work of Dr. J. Vernon McGee and comes from a Protestant evangelical point of view. I've been using it alongside my Bible reading in my Haitian Creole studies. To find the transcript for each episode, click the icon with horizontal lines that says "Lire". You'll also find Cebuano, but there is no accompanying transcript for Cebuano.
2 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 am

iguanamon wrote:Since you are using the Bible as a resource, I can recommend trying Thru The Bible. This is a Bible Study podcast, originally a radio broadcast, of roughly half an hour with a transcript. Go to the languages icon and select French and you will be able to search by Book and Chapter. The Chapter study is based on the work of Dr. J. Vernon McGee and comes from a Protestant evangelical point of view. I've been using it alongside my Bible reading in my Haitian Creole studies. To find the transcript for each episode, click the icon with horizontal lines that says "Lire". You'll also find Cebuano, but there is no accompanying transcript for Cebuano.

Thank you very much for this. Very useful!

Book and Chapter is key and I download text and mp3 (French). Possibly add to readlang, but not sure. Otherwise is still very useful. As you say, just mp3 for Cebuano, but sounds clear.

In other news, have looked at subs2srs briefly but as I don't use anki much, and I mostly do things on phone, I might not have a use for it quite yet, but I can see how useful it could be. Main pain point will be setup effort. I could imagine watching same video in multiple languages would be great for learning/maintenance and I did like how you can use it as a dictionary for new words and export to a new stack in Anki.

Otherwise, I uploaded Jesus film to a private area of readlang with subtitles downloaded (downsub) in both French and Cebuano. I can't now find the Cebuano subtitles in the video! [edit: might have been an automatic translation by downsub - oh dear]

Film is over two hours and readlang says 9200 words in French.

When synchronising the text and video, I didn't think to show the French subtitles on the video until near the end. So this was slower, harder, required more concentration than necessary, but ultimately meant I did do some useful work/study on the French version. I haven't synchronised the Cebuano yet, but can do in 2020.

First steps, do this Jesus film, some public videos in readlang and maybe some cooking/restaurant/travel shows in French as main use will be for a holiday visit (initially).

iguanamon, eido and others - thanks for your help over the 5 years of me dabbling in languages. I'm not fluent in anything much, but I can get by conversationally in Cebuano and read a lot in Spanish and Dutch. More importantly, I've enjoyed my hobby, it's given me insights into how I and others learn and I continue to be fascinated by it.

I've found new ways of learning which have helped tremendously in work (technical exams, useful knowledge) and with family/education. Best wishes to all of you who help others, especially appreciate your patience with newbies.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”