Whodathunkitz log French, Tagalog, Dutch, Cebuano, Spanish, Esperanto

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Re: Whodathunkitz log Cebuano Spanish Esperanto

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue May 30, 2017 10:59 pm

Tuesday 30 May.

The great banning event... I was looking to post a write up of o365 intensive reader or whatever it's called.

OneNote/word online. Mark text as language (right click) and spoken using computer voice for that language.

Not perfect, but has speed aspects and would probably allow prosody (50 repetitions of a phrase) in different dialects eg Argentinian, mexican, Castillo's etc.

Anyway banning wasted time and effort, but all good now. These things happen. Glad to see the reasoning behind it.

Spanish

Mark finished in 3 days. 16 chapters, 22 pages. 11000 Greek words. Not sure how many English or Spanish ones. Averaged about 2 hours a night for 3 nights. Maybe bit more, 7 hours?

Next luke. 38 pages, 24 chapters.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue May 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Oh yeah. I had the urge to go through a Spanish dictionary alphabetically tonight.

I didn't. But it was close! I know one of the senior people here does that for fun...

Edited... Could load an online one into computer generated speech reader.

Might have to either use a full L2 dictionary is meanings in Spanish or fiddle with the text in some way. Maybe 2 column table.

A children's Spanish only dictionary might work. Anyone know one I can copy and paste from on the net?

Or maybe the full official Spanish dictionary?
Last edited by Whodathunkitz on Wed May 31, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed May 31, 2017 6:57 am

Late last night / early morning I had a thought.

The lack of speaking bothers me, especially in Spanish.

My L-R of the Bible has 3 bits. L1 is English. L2 Spanish or previously cebuano. I'm going to modify step 2, at least for some of a chapter.

L1 read CHAPTER to understand story. Quick.

L2 read silently as i L2 listen to a CHAPTER to get pronounciation, prosody etc

L1 read, L2 listen CHAPTER to tie meanings together.

So now step 2 will become

L2 read out loud a VERSE for muscle practice.
L2 listen to the same VERSE while reading silently to self correct.
Repeat for whole CHAPTER or part of it otherwise use old L-R. It will be slower and it might annoy others and presumably I'll get a bit croaky voiced after a while. So I may not be able to do it all.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Out tonight. Just one verse of Luke in Spanish but spoke each verse before listening.

Hard work but good exercise for producing sounds.

11.5 minutes of speech.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am

1/2 June 2017

Cebuano

Few people at a house. Almost got a round of applause for a longish part of a conversation.

I haven't studied it for months so pleased but I have forgotten some and substituted some Spanish when I didn't know.

Spanish

Duolingo 87 days streak.

Luke chapters 1 to 7 done L-R plus speaking. 17 left.

Pleased with improvement. Few bits of Spanish popping into my head and moulding them grammatically.

Much slower when speaking but it works better as I spend more time taking words apart and also seems to help remember vocab too.

I think I'm sounding much better. Speeding up slightly as subconscious/auto pilot starts working. But still very slow as I have a few goes at pronouncing many words or strings of words.

Tiny bit of 10000 sentences app. No mistakes even though many unknown words. Sentence structure guided me.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Current plan ...

L-R plus speak 3 Bible books.

Watch vis a vis (locked up) on all 4 / Walther presents. Either one or two series.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:29 am

I re-read the 'norsk experiment'.

I'm considering ANOTHER change to my L-R plus speaking...

L2 only! Spanish audio Bible app.

Read a VERSE of Spanish out loud
listen and read the verse.
Correct one aspect.
Repeat.

NO English at all!

Disadvantages:

Potential to get lost,

Vocab only learnable through context or lookups

Demotivated from too many unknowns

Only possible on the 3 books I know with similar stories. Doing another section would require L-R plus speaking.

Advantages:

Mark Luke and Matthew are similar stories. I've done all 3 plus John in cebuano already.

I've done mark in Spanish.

I may know ENOUGH of the stories to allow context to work.

Forcing myself into a Spanish bubble.

More Spanish, quicker, binge.

Quickly complete 3 books. Better for motivation. Get to colloquial modern Spanish media quickly, video, text.

Concentrating on THINKING deeply about the new vocab /structures instead of relying on English. More chance of internalizing.

Concentrate on Spanish sounds, avoid English context switching.

English and Spanish texts are not very similar anyway. Sometimes it hinders me.

PLAN

try it out on a few chapters.
Evaluate.

My target is to get to native material as quickly as possible with access to grammar reference materials when interested. Principally audio focussed (video, audiobooks), but books as a secondary.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 pm

L-R plus speak.

Could work for start of new language getting pronounciation.

Rubbish for learning vocab.

Spanish

Back to original L-R. Finished Luke 13 so half way there.

Spanish words / fragments popping into head. Not as much as cebuano though.

Loads of things tried.

Vis a vis / locked up - can't use with the English subtitles so prominent.

History YouTube vids. Quite a few done. Didn't really learn much but maybe listening was good to build the scaffolding for later.

Hated extr@ when I tried it before. Now quite liked it. Understood most of first 5 YouTube vids except when they go a bit mental and have a go at each other for wasted perfume, pink underwear and octopus like behaviour.

Easy few hours of Spanish with extr@. I'll have to check out other similar stuff.

Then read some stuff on here about LWT etc.

Went to look at history / using read lang on Android and need for extension.

Read 3 texts about 180 words each a2 to b2.

This is a much higher level than I expected. I'll try higher levels for a laugh!

Few words on each I didn't know. Then did flashcards, editing a few. Did 40 plus flashcards.

I still don't know how to produce Spanish but I can read it ok.

I'm currently a fan of read lang!

Cebuano.

Took kid to school teaching him bisaya and he said some to his mum unprompted when we picked him up together!

At home and shopping today with wife but no kid. Lots more cebuano than normal. Slower pace, able to stick to cebuano more without switching to English for kid.

No study for about 3 months. So quite pleased.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:25 am

Tuesday 6 the June 2017

Spanish

Spanish words and phrases popping into my head sometimes.

Readlang. Read a short text (less than 300 words, typically 180 to 250) at every level including C2!

A few words I didn't know, flashcards done on readlang for each.

I can't produce Spanish nor conjugate verbs well, but I do have an understanding of the tenses without thinking too much. Getting there.

I now have a lot of choices for my limited learning time.

Extr@ tv - easy to watch for hours.
Duolingo. Least important but the streak (89) reminds me how long my Spanish session has lasted and pity to skip. Quick anyway.
Readlang. Current favourite. Probably best vocab training at the moment.
Bible half way through mission. Pity to stop now but needs concentration.
Lyricstraining. Have stopped due to needing laptop for that one.
Language transfer / thinking method. 44 of 90. Should keep going in parallel with other bits.
Writing a journal entry. Production skills very low.

Answer... All of them except lyricstraining. Do that as my test! Oh except I listen to Shakira in the car so perhaps I should do that album on lyricstraining.

Bible/tv for listening
Duolingo habit/motivation/reminder every day
Language transfer for grammar (plus looking up things when I feel like it, ah ha moments).

What is my reading level in Spanish? High falutin language is similar to educated English. So it doesn't get harder in the way that a non romance language might?

I need to do more B2 or higher short texts for vocab, extensive reading, planting the dots that grammar can start connecting. Later do longer texts B2 and above.

Lessons for cebuano learning...

Bible listen / speak plus prosody training needed for my speaking. Redo mark concentrating on speech. Other 2 books for vocab.

Tv pretty hard / bad sound / not interesting to me. Some political based talk shows. Funny but not for everyone. Mix of English and Tagalog as well.

Duolingo/apps... Only really Memrise (many mistakes).

Readlang - equivalent via browser extension or binisaya.com web reader.

No lyricstraining but could get karaoke.

Grammar - I now have a great Mormon grammar book which allows me to understand more extensive books.

For both languages, I should do writing as part my learning. Production much better in cebuano than Spanish even if it's not correct, at least it flows.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Duolingo 30 pts mostly gold.

Readlang. Few things, 2 extr@ episodes five and six. 3300 words roughly. A2 level. Later episodes b1 or b2. I understand most of it. Not bad once you get into it.

157 words practiced on flashcards. Insisting on correct everything including accents.

More Spanish words popping into my head.

Tenses becoming a little automatic in meaning.

Putting Bible on hold until done more readlang. Especially video/audio based with colloquial language. This is to support my aim of conversing with people. Plus some food vocab for restaurants.

Cebuano

More spoken in house than usual.

General

I need to do journal entries for production and send some bisaya and especially Spanish emails (assuming Spanish ex colleague up for helping me).

Spanish going well now with readlang. I think it's helped me get over a plateau.

I don't know how accurate the levels are but nice to see myself handle up to C2 texts and a2 video.

By handle I probably mean survive / enjoy.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”