Whodathunkitz log French, Tagalog, Dutch, Cebuano, Spanish, Esperanto

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Re: Whodathunkitz log Cebuano Spanish Esperanto

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:18 am

Saturday 21 st January 2017

Slow start. Eventually 14 to 21 of Matthew gospel

Some cebuano in house later on

Sunday

30 minutes quizlet match games. Adverbs, verbs, adjectives etc. Quite a few new words and definitions. Some useful for bible.

Bit more cebuano but some English as well. Went to friends with one cebuano speaker.

I understood a lot but no where near lots when at full speed later on.

I may have hit a concentration limit. Maybe 3 hours, not all talk though.

Rarely got asked to repeat what I said, but wife reframed a few bits.

Very graciously the other person let me use cebuano.

Matthew 22 to 24.

Only 28 in total, so on track for one gospel every week.

Started with mark, then Luke then Matthew.

Next John, probably deep dive into Matthew then acts. With deep dive I might highlight every interesting word and research. Might write it out.

Two columns or three? Cebuano, notes, possibly English. But last maybe only of use if I review? Maybe useful tying together notes.

After that I may have run out of self imposed time limit and switch mainly to Spanish with cebuano in some kind of maintenance mode.

Maintenance - cebuano spoken in house. Continuation of L-R at lower intensity? Going onto binisaya.com?

L-R : listening reading.
0 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:24 am

Effectively my test is in 3 weeks during a longish visit to friends.

Just enough time for John, Matthew deep dive and acts, maybe.

Doesn't matter as long as progressing.

After the visit, some kind of cebuano review period and then into Spanish using L-R, thinking method mp3 in car, seeking opportunities to talk spanish later and maintaining cebuano.

I'll try to have Spanish language YouTube running on TV in kid's favourite subjects.

I'll also start speaking to him in Spanish which he'll hate. Especially bedtime stories swapping words and phrases on the fly (during the process, activity).
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

I found this interesting - intermediate to advanced. Plus use binisaya.com for writing practice?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253&sid=4708fab3478cafbdf2fac08eb3fc6ebb#p61022

I had no clue how to approach learning a language

Just wanted to capture the info here (inspiration!). Some of my emphasis (for my use)

Reading

Everything is important but reading more is the number one habit i'd like to create this year.

"Research with very young foreign language learners, found that by
increasing the amount of interesting and understandable written input without
increasing class time, learners had almost double the language proficiency gains of
those who followed a program involving the same amount of class time but with
much less input. These gains were maintained a year later."

- Paul Nation - What you need to know to learn a foreign language - page 8.

I'll start by reading an hour daily, at least 5 times a week. This will be extensive in nature and i'll only look up a word if it really jumps out at me. I've read that Alex Rawlings doesn't lookup a word unless he's seen it 5 times and I may adopt that approach.

Until March, the goal will simply be to read for time and create the habit; one hour per day/ 5 times a week. Afterwards, the focus will be going through as many books as possible. The books are a good mix of fiction and non-fiction. I will read first thing in the morning.

Speaking

I've been pretty consistent with speaking at least 4 hours per week using a combination of tutors and language partners. No changes planned here; I'll simply maintain this habit. I also have a few friends who speak better English than I do Spanish and we get more caught up on ease of communication than language improvement sometimes. They are completely bi-lingual and willing to speak on Spanish ,,, I will make an effort to Speak more Spanish with them. They don't care about my errors (or they correct me when they do) and neither should I.

Listening

When I don't understand something its usually because colloquial language was used or vocabulary that I lack. There are a few podcasts and radio stations I've been following and I'll continue to listen to those extensively when I'm out and about. I'm working through a movie by transcribing the difficult parts and working intensively (about 30 minutes a day) to understand them. I'll start this process with a series once I finish the movie.

Just for fun i'm also watching Netflix's Club de Cuervos and will continue with another series once I get through it.

Writing

I don't write much if I don't have too. I like the idea of "speed writing" where you choose a topic and write as much as possible about it in 5 minutes. I'll try this once a week for a while and see how it goes. I'll continue summarizing episodes/ articles that we are working with during tutoring sessions. This should add up to at least 400 words per week. The goal is to complete 100 texts of at least 200 words by the end of the year.

Revision

By their nature, I'll repeat words learnt if i'm conversing and writing often. To aid this process I use Readlang while intensively reading online articles, and important corrections I receive during Skype sessions go into Anki. Writing summaries of episodes and articles and then speaking about my general impressions of them should help with consolidation also. I vow not to write unless I have completed the day's reading.
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

More inspiration from same person:-

“A veces se gana y a veces se aprende” by John Maxwell and “Los 7 habitos de la gente altamente efectiva” by Stephen Covey. Very easy listening and together the books total about 9 hours.

I also alternated between music and podcasts. One podcast in particular that I have been liking a lot lately is Diario de Confianza
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Preparing Spanish resources

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5035
0 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Cebuano

Nagtuon ko gamay lang. Mingaw ko ang bayante ka minutos nga bisaya sa akong awto.

Only learned a little. Listened to twenty minutes of bisaya in my car.

Walay biblia sad. Tapulan kaayo ko sa karong gabii.

No bible either. I am very lazy this evening.

Tanaw ko sa tv sa iningles.

I'm watching tv in English.

Ang ngalan nga salida nga 'belle'.

The name of the film is Belle.

Gusto ko ang history. Maayo kaayo ang salida.

I like history. The film is very good.

Wa'y problema, karong adlaw ang adlaw nga walay trabaho.

No problem, today is a rest day.

Humana ko ang akong pagtuon ugma lang.

I will stop my learning tomorrow.

Hurot ang capitulo si Mateo ugma pa.

Finish the chapter of Matthew tomorrow yet.
0 x

elco2
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (intermediate/advanced), Spanish (Intermediate), Biblical Greek (Advanced), French, Portuguese, Tagalog, Biblical Hebrew (low intermediate) Bisaya dialects, Romanian (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Mandarin (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=35337

Postby elco2 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:01 am

Hi this is Bob from Polydog. I'm a lurker here too :)
never surrender!
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:57 am

elco2 wrote:Hi this is Bob from Polydog. I'm a lurker here too :)
never surrender!

Salamat kaayo ko kanimo.

Komusta ka?

Duha ka tuig nga nagtuon ko og bisaya!

Apan karon dayon, miingon ko kada adlaw sa akong asawa, anak nga lalaki sad.

Apan ang anak dili ganahan ingon og bisaya.

Niadtong miaging gabii, akong asawa nagbasa sa anak og bisaya, translating gikan sa iningles sa bisaya.

Walay reklamo sa bata!

Malipayan kaayo kami.

Nagbasa ug mingaw ko usa ka capitulo og bagong testament sa biblia.

Gamay nga resources sa bisaya.

Pipila og basahon nga mga anak. Usa ka dictionary (apan iningles sa bisaya), Wikipedia ug Apps nga telepono.

Bible.is
Cebuano dictionary (wolff/bohol/Jerome H?)
Memrise
Quizlet

Adunay ikaw og mga suggestions sad?

Kasabot ka ang akong pagsulat?

Magkita ko ikaw usab sa forum unya pa.
0 x

elco2
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (intermediate/advanced), Spanish (Intermediate), Biblical Greek (Advanced), French, Portuguese, Tagalog, Biblical Hebrew (low intermediate) Bisaya dialects, Romanian (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Mandarin (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... ?TID=35337

Postby elco2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:22 am

Kumusta ka na pud!
Nakasabot kaayo ko sa imong bisaya. Ang practice nako adlaw-adlaw… nagdungog ko sa mga tawo nga akong palibot. Pero, naa kog libro nga gingalan “Dulaan Cebuano”, ug nay mga videos sa you-tube pud.

I have no idea how many errors are in this thing :p but someone said I should say kada adlaw instead of adlaw-adlaw. I guess that’s more of a Tagalog construction.
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt

Postby Whodathunkitz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:55 pm

elco2 wrote:Kumusta ka na pud!
Nakasabot kaayo ko sa imong bisaya. Ang practice nako adlaw-adlaw… nagdungog ko sa mga tawo nga akong palibot. Pero, naa kog libro nga gingalan “Dulaan Cebuano”, ug nay mga videos sa you-tube pud.

I have no idea how many errors are in this thing :p but someone said I should say kada adlaw instead of adlaw-adlaw. I guess that’s more of a Tagalog construction.

Maayo man! Mabutay! (tagalog?, I hear it often said in UK)

Kada adlaw ang imong practice (bantay?)?

Nagdungog ka ba nga sulti o ingon ang mga tawo sa imong suroy-suroy?

Init toa ba?

Tingtugnaw sa England, daghan umog/yamog - pangunod sa yuta. Lisod kaayo ang umog sa tanan mga dryber.

Mi-search ko nga "dulaan cebuano" sa google. daghang bagong mga videos, apan wa'y basahon/libro.

Gamiton (useful?) kaayo ang mga videos.

Naa ka ang link sa basahon nga ngalan "Dulaan Cebuano"? Padala og link kanako nimo palihug nong (bay?)!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”