Hundetier está estudiando español...

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Hundetier está estudiando español...

Postby blaurebell » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 pm

AndyMeg wrote:I think your husband may have a point when he says that "the people there don't really speak his language." According to a Google search: "Basque Country (Euskadi) is an autonomous community in northern Spain with strong cultural traditions, a celebrated cuisine and a distinct language that pre-dates the Romance languages." Nowdays they are using spanish a lot more, but I think they still have a strong influence from "euskera" language and culture.

He means specifically the way they speak Spanish here. Basque and Spanish are very very different languages, and if you hear Basque spoken it isn't quite like any other language. Closest thing to an alien language I've ever encountered! Usually there is some overlap, some way in, but that one is just ... weird. Interestingly, there isn't much code-switching going on when the people here speak Spanish - meaning they don't switch to Basque mid sentence, apart from a few words that are in common everyday usage. They do switch a lot to Spanish when they're speaking Basque though, sometimes every second sentence. After speaking with many people about it, it seems to me that Basque is only now coming back into common usage. It was forbidden during Franco's time and since democracy is back Basque has been taught in the schools, but it isn't used everywhere or in all situations. One guy told me that he wouldn't know how to pick up a girl in Basque, because that's a language he only spoke in school during class. This differs from city to city.

Little children speak Basque all the time though and a lot of parents speak Basque with them but Spanish with each other. Also, anything political will be entirely in Basque. As a photographer I was struggling a bit while covering some protests, because I constantly had to ask people to translate for me. Even the schedule was only handed out in Basque! That's especially counterintuitive when the protests are about something relating to the rest of Spain or European issues, because nobody outside the Basque community would have a chance of even knowing what's going on. I had several moments during public events where I just felt like I was on some alien planet and could simply not figure out what was happening. Not very inclusive in that respect. It affects the spoken Spanish on the street very little though because the languages are as different as it can get. The only shifting where Basque comes into Spanish is about 2 or 3 single words. It's common to say "Agur" instead of Adios, but one would only say Kaixo - Basque hola in a shop if one wants to speak Basque. The extremely complicated phrase for thanks is also in common use, no idea how to spell that. One other word I constantly hear is Aita, which means father I believe. Other than that there is no Basque coming into the Spanish used here. However, I have been told by Spanish speakers from other places in Spain that the people here speak as if they learned the language on the street. For them it sounds somewhat "low brow" and rough too. But I guess they were referring mostly to how teenagers and young people speak, and they speak horrifically everywhere.

My husband feels similarly alienated by Spanish in other places. We've been to Madrid and Barcelona - the latter is a place where all the street signs are in Catalan and the language seems to be more commonly spoken than Spanish. Very unlike here where the spoken language on the street is Spanish. The good thing about Catalan is that I understand pretty much 70% of it just hearing it spoken, so it isn't quite such a barrier as Basque, and the people are always super friendly. The Spanish is similarly harsh and as you say with lots of swearing and really silly swearwords too though, in Madrid too. It's always a bit rough on the ears for me! Argentinian is much more pleasant to hear.
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Blaurebell,

me parece que hables muy bien el castellano, entonces ¿puedes decirnos si sean corrrectos o no los ejemplos en español en el hilo multilingual dog commands?

si no tienes las ganas, no te preocupes. gracias.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Hundetier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Deutsch, English, Español
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4873

Postby Hundetier » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Last update was three weeks ago :oops: . I managed to squeeze in a lot of Spanish during my days, e.g. I spent a lot of time with listening to podcast while sitting in waiting rooms or when resting. I read quite a bit in Spanish, too; VeinteMundos and other blogs, articles. And I managed to do Glossika. I am bit slow with writing, but this can wait. Half of Glossika is already done :mrgreen:

: 154 / 312 Glossika GSR, : 30 / 60 Glossika GSM
: 72 / 150 Audio Course, and some podcasts
: 3 / 116 Grammática del Uso de Español B
: 55 / 102 Paso a Paso: Los tiempos del pasado del indicativo
: 18 / 84 ELE vocabulario
: 37 / 109 Assimil passive wave -> nothing, I start over after Glossika, both is too much for me
: 32 / 58 Español en Episodios
5 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Ah, I was wondering were you were! Well done on the Glossika. Lots of work that one! I never know whether I should commit to it or not. At the moment I'm still shadowing Assimil which has about as many sentences, so I don't think I need to do any more shadowing. Glossika lacks the context of the dialogs, so I feel it's even more of a chore to do!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Hundetier
Yellow Belt

Postby Hundetier » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks! I shortened my "internet time" due to much work and many private obligations and appointments in the last weeks. So I was able to maintain my learning time and also to add some reading time. ;)
Glossika is sort of really dull, but I got accostumed to it and have my routine: in the morning one GSR (while walking the dog), and the second after showering and breakfast before work. GSM is reservated for the weekends. My goal is to finish all three levels, I don't want to give up. Assimil is still waiting for me. I want to use it after finishing Glossika; shadowing the phrases and translating. Both together is too much for me. I hope to get into a routine with it like now with Glossika.
Next weeks will get tough too, tomorrow I start learning another working station in my new job. I should do some reading for it, but I can't motivate me, so I hope I´ll learn all necessary by watching and doing. :oops: My free time is reservated for my dog and my hobbies.
2 x

Hundetier
Yellow Belt

Postby Hundetier » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:08 pm

blaurebell wrote:We speak English at home, since we both work in that language mainly. And I have to say that I don't think in word form, I'm more of a visual kind of thinker. Not sure it makes any difference, the first words out of my mouth are definitely still English.

With english as your everyday-language it seems normal for me, that it is the "first" language in your mind.
For me it is not so easy to create an english bubble: almost everyone speaks german (or rather turkish, russian, polish, ... than english). With my (german) husband I can't speak english - both of us make the same mistakes and I don't think, we would improve by doing so, more likely the opposite. But I try do read and watch tv in english as far as possible. So I am glad that I could talk my husband into watching films and series in original, but he still often wants to have subtitles.

blaurebell wrote:I stopped speaking Saxonian while I still lived in Saxony, I just found the accent so vile. Not super Hochdeutsch for me, but a sort of Düsseldorf area semi Hochdeutsch. People tend to think that I'm from Berlin usually. There is no cure for East German vowels ;)

On the other hand many people prefer saxonian over bavarian. Only in Bavaria itself saxonian is considered the worst german accent as far as I know. So if others believe you derive from the Ruhrpott or from the hip Berlin, this isn't bad ;)
0 x

Steve D
Languages: Native English speaker studying Spanish and Russian.

Postby Steve D » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Have you tried an online intercambio with someone in Spain or elsewhere? I recently signed up for an account at My Language Exchange to find pen pals and have already done four or five emails with people in Spain and Columbia. When our schedules permit we plan to chat on Skype. Suerte!
0 x

Hundetier
Yellow Belt

Postby Hundetier » Thu May 11, 2017 5:17 pm

I neglected my log and my language learning the last weeks. But I take this as a refreshing pause. Nonetheless there was some spanish almost every day. Glossika part 3 got too complicated due to extreme long sentences. I don't know how to go on with Spanish. I lost my "Mojo" ...

My goals changed slightly: spanish isn't my prime language any more (at least for the next time). I got recorded when dealing with someone in english - and this painful experience convinced me to study english again.
I still have my old workbooks for revising grammar, and I want to make use of the different "... in use" books I own (Grammar, Pronunciation, Phrasal verbs, Collocations).
The next ones I plan to work through are: "Destination B2" (followed by Destination C") and the "Oxford English Grammar Course advanced". I start with the higher levels of my books and will consult with the easier ones only when problems arise.

My reading input is quite high, I read almost everything in english (at the moment Ben Aaronovich "The Hanging Tree"). Two third of my television consume is in english, too. I watch a lot of BBC documentaries and my favourite series in original (at the moment Doctor Who, for the twentieth time or so :oops: )
Speaking practice is a problem. There aren't any language schools near my home offering intermediate or advanced classes. I dream of working with someone who can correct my terrible accent. But I am not sure how to manage this (near home and affordable).

@Steve D: Thanks for this tip, I bookmarked this site for later. First I have to get my spanish drive back ...
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Fri May 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Hundetier wrote:Speaking practice is a problem. There aren't any language schools near my home offering intermediate or advanced classes. I dream of working with someone who can correct my terrible accent. But I am not sure how to manage this (near home and affordable).

You could try to imitate dialogues from TV shows and record yourself and then compare it and focus on your weakest points until you are as similar as possible to the speakers.

And if you want feedback from a native, you could try some language exhange sites like Italki.
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Hundetier
Yellow Belt

Postby Hundetier » Sun May 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah, good idea.
For the moment I am working my way through the "Pronunciation in Use" book. And I discovered that the app "Get rid of your accent" is already installed on my mobile, I forgot that completely :oops: I still need a headset for my mobile, recording without isn't a good idea because of the surrounding noises.

And I reactivated my Audible-account (where some english audiobooks wait to be heard for a long time) for the sentence-repeating-training. My husbands already believes that I've completely lost my mind, because I stopped my series from time to time to repeat some sentences aloud. It doesn't matter, I urgently want/need to improve my speaking. Or I'll be afraid of speaking english in the future -> not a good option.

Googling for pronunciation training I stumbled over services like "Star Pronunciation" which promise to help you with an online-course. These courses are very expensive, and I think, many tips and hints are available on free youtube-videos or in books. But perhaps I can take a lesson or two to get professional correction after my selfstudy. Or find someone on Italki who can do this.

My activities of this week:
watching: complete Season 4 of (New) Doctor Who plus specials, and the newest show (Knock Knock, Oxygen)
watching: 3 documentaries about the Celts
reading: more than half of "The hanging Tree", some articles
exercises: 9 units of Destination B2, 10 units of "Pronunciation of Use"
... and no spanish :roll:

Next week I'll start working again, so my time for language learning will decrease :cry:
1 x

Return to “Language logs”