Fatih's Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bebetter
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 40419&PN=3

Re: Fatih's Spanish Log

Postby Bebetter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 am

Fatih wrote:A quick update;

This week, I posted 200 words on lang-8 for correction and recieved invaluable feedbacks!

I have doing the same! It's been working great. How do you study your mistakes or corrections?
1 x

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Postby Fatih » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:16 pm

Bebetter wrote:
Fatih wrote:A quick update;

This week, I posted 200 words on lang-8 for correction and recieved invaluable feedbacks!

I have doing the same! It's been working great. How do you study your mistakes or corrections?

Well, until now I didn't have to study specifically on my mistskes. Most of them was due to my lack of focus so I could easily spot the errors after reading corrections.

Today I wrote 400 more words. It goes really well!
0 x

Fatih
White Belt

Postby Fatih » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:07 am

Hi everyone,

On December, I downshifted and just use Platiquemos and lang-8. And finally today I've finished Platiquemos. As I said before, I'm planning to go over Platiquemos again, especially the last 10 lessons which I couldn't master. But, I need a break now.

Writing goes well. I've written 2.500 words for correction so far and I'm already feeling more confident when I'm writing. After, posting 100.000 words, I guess things will be totally different. ¡Viva lang-8!

My only concern is speaking now, It really lags behind. I have to push myself a little bit more.
4 x

Fatih
White Belt

Postby Fatih » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 pm

I almost sent 5.000 words at lang-8 for correction. This web site is amazing. I just love it. And also tried to find some language partners on mylanguageexhange.com but all Spaniards learning Turkish were at very basic levels. I might have to use italki more. I also started using Lingq and bought a paid membership. I like the idea behind it. Creating lingqs for group of words is very useful.
So, my plan is to use
lang-8 for writing,
italki for speaking and
lingq for reading.
1 x

Fatih
White Belt

Postby Fatih » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:12 pm

During last couple of weeks, I couldn't have time to update my log.

I gave a break on Lang-8. I've written almost 10.000 words so far, but my main focus has shifted to reading 1,5 months ago. Since then, I've been reading via Lingq and I've already reached 275 bin words so far. My plan is to read 1 million words before the end of the midyear and by doing this reaching the level of advanced reading fluency. At least I hope that :)
1 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Congrats on your completion of FSI. That is no easy chore. It took me Many, MANY tries to complete it all. You are doing great and I really like your plan.

One thing that is helping me is listening to audio books. Sometimes I read a hard copy while the narrator is covering the audio. Sometimes I read a chapter or two ahead and then listen without the text and sometimes I just listen.

You are doing great. I am glad I found your log.

BOLIO
1 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

Fatih
White Belt

Postby Fatih » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Thanks BOLIO for popping in! FSI was a real burden but I thik that It really worths it. But anyway I'm really happy for finishing it:) And also using the language, not studying it, really makes me feel good. I'd been studying Spanish for almost 20 months before actually started to use it but this phase of language learning is a lot more enjoyable than before :)
I agree with you on audiobooks. I think they might be really useful if you can comprehend it. I tried it before, listening them while driving, but somehow couldn't continue using it but It's certainly in my future to do list.
0 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Emk's famous post on "cheating" and of course Iguanamon's many post on using texts and transcripts come to mind. I can remember Iguanamon telling me to make the unknown known. Also, his advice on gaining momentum is very important. You have progressed much quicker than I did and are much farther along than I was at 20 months. Keep the momentum. Use native materials and cheat with the text, transcripts or subtitles.

Listen all you can and listen some more. If you are filling time while driving, don't worry about understanding everything. Search Iversen Bloodhound Listening. Make out the syllables and then the words. You are probably beyond that stage but I still try to relax and focus on this and let the image of the story I am hearing come to me. This also helps with avoiding the dreaded translation syndrome. To "cheat", Read a couple of chapters of the book and then listen to the same chapters while in the vehicle. It gets better.

James29 and Iguanamon used to tell me to listen A Lot. I thought I was but in reality I should have been doing more. Listen, listen, listen. Read, read,read.

All the best,

BOLIO
2 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm

great progress. Reading 1,000,000 words will do wonders. I did that a couple years and everything skyrocketed. It helps with everything.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”