I read old books - Pfifltrigg Pi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: I read old books - Pfifltrigg Pi

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:07 am

Merci beaucoup, Monsieur Renard. J'ai encore du mal en écriture, surtout quand je suis fatigué.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:34 pm

When most people got locked inside their homes, sometimes literally, I was working overtime for the past several months, as a result my study time suffered. More recently I've gotten some stuff done, however.

Latin :

I have continued doing my daily Bible readings in Latin as well as reading a chapter a day, starting at the beginning of the NT. I have now finished 1 Corinthians. I also finally finished De rerum natura which we were "reading" in my Latin class last spring at university. I think this year we are doing something with Vergil, but communication has been terrible, so I am not sure.

French :

I am supposedly taking two French courses this term, one with another university, as mine does not have enough high-level courses for me to acquire the number of credits I need to graduate since I started at the highest level possible. I am also taking a course which, according to the description, is about Les miserables. I do hope we actually read the entire book, since I have a very nice copy which I bought several years ago but have yet to read.

Italian :

I have not done too much with Italian over the summer, but my younger sister has just started to take a class in it, so I will have to get back into studying it, so as to help her better.

Greek :

Well, well, well, this has been something of a mess. I was supposed to go on an exchange this year, so my university got rid of the Modern Greek professor and thus there would have been no further classes in it. However, my exchanges then got cancelled for somewhat obvious reasons, and so I was in a bit of a panic that I would have to start all over in introductory Classical Greek and essentially waste the two terms of Modern Greek I have done, as my major requires completing the second-year level in either Classical or Modern Greek. However, after much frantic writing back and forth, I will now be able to do a "supervised independent study" of Modern Greek for the next two terms. This seems very much that I will simply be teaching myself and still paying the same fee of a normal class, but there is not much I can do about it.

Ukrainian :

This has definitely been the biggest success story of the summer. I have noticed a sharp improvement in my ability to understand now that my parish is reopened compared to before the government forced us to close. I am also listening to various songs and understanding more than I used to, although my written understanding still vastly outpaces my spoken understanding. I am almost done with the Assimil course, and am badly in need of more grammatical study, as I have a very hard time producing coherent sentences. I also need to improve my vocabulary significantly.
6 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:12 pm

Greek :

I have rebegun reviewing my vocabulary from the parts of the textbook we did last year in Memrise. It seems I shall continue using that book this year, and I hope I will finish it. I have been adding each chapter's words as I study it, and if or when I finish adding all the words I shall make the course public and share it here.

Ukrainian. I did another lesson in my Assimil book today, and reviewed in Memrise. I ought to soon start looking at what book I will get next, as I need to do more grammatical drills.
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Yesterday I moved in at university, so I did very little study. This term is going to be... interesting.

Lingua latina :

Bibliam meam legere pergo hodie. Vulgata difficilis michi non est, et hanc legere quasi tam facile quam anglice possum.Hoc me fellicet multo. Penso de facere canalem in YouTube ubi opera latina (ut Biblia) recito et fortasse in alias linguas antiquas quoque. Sed certus non sum si microphonum meum satis bonum est.

Greek :

I still have heard nothing from my "supervisor". I am continuing to review the words from last year in Memrise. If I have time tomorrow I will preemptively add those of the next lesson.

Ukrainian :

Given that it is Sunday, I went to church today. I attempted to speak more in Ukrainian, and I can understand a good amount of what people say to me, but when I want to reply all the words vanish. That said, reading is much, much easier and, following along with the liturgy in my prayer book I can understand almost everything without looking at the English translation. I also did the next lesson in Assimil today.
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:06 pm

Українська мова :

Я її робив! Я закінчив книжку мою! Я дуже щасливий. Я не можу добре говорити, і мені треба вчити граматику українську але я вже можу читати і я розумію багато більше ніж я міг минулому року.

I did it! I finished my book! I am very happy. I can not speak well, and I very much need to study Ukrainian grammar but I can read a good bit and I understand much more than I did last year. I ordered the Routledge comprehensive grammar, which was very, very expensive but it should be quite helpful. Tomorrow I will start a new Memrise course as well and I will soon start trying to read my Ukrainian Bible.

Greek :
Not much to add here : I am continuing to revue last year's words in Memrise and I am supposed to be meeting with the "supervisor" of my independent study some time this week.

Latina :

Nullum multum michi est ad dicendum. Bibliam legere pergo. Cursus meus incipietur cras. Credo quod aliquot apud Vergilium legemus, sed certus non sum.
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Ukrainian :

I started trying to read my Ukrainian Bible today. It was... interesting. Much was still beyond me, but there were many sections where I could understand quite a good bit. I also started a new Memrise course.

Latin :

I had the first session of my Latin class today as well. We will be reading some of Vergil's minor works, which is, I suppose, good given I am less familiar with them. I am not sure how comfortable the professor was with doing everything online, so this will be... interesting. However, he did say that he wanted to do a good bit of reading aloud, which makes me happy.

French :

My other French class started today as well. As a result, I was able to speak a little bit with a friend whom I have not seen since last term, which is nice. As for the class itself, I discovered to my disappointment that we will not, in fact, be reading much of Les Misérables but instead little bits and pieces of other things. In addition, the professor neglected to inform us that we needed to buy a number of other books for this course until today. The positive is that this gave me an excuse to buy things I wanted to anyways, and we will be reading a few Balzac stories as well, which I quite enjoy.
5 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:55 pm

Latin :

I started reading Eclogue 1 of Virgil today for my class. It was easier than I expected it to be, honestly. I found a word list for the Eclogues which I put into Memrise, so that is helpful I suppose. I also continue to read 2 Corinthians in my Vulgate.

French :

One of my French classes also was today : I think it is going to be quite easy, but, I suppose, I will get a good mark. I spent a fair part of this morning reading Balzac stories in preparation for my French litterature class tomorrow.
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Latin :

Nothing quite like having your pronunciation insulted by an overly arrogant, elitist professor after having one of the best recitations in the class is there? Especially when said professor then goes on to pronounce "Tityre" as [tɪtɪɹə]. As a would-be Mediaevalist in a program filled with classics students I am somewhat used to dealing with incompetent, arrogant classics professors, but this year is going to be rather difficult at this rate. Then again, it was only the second class today and I already could not care less, and the reading has been extremely little and not that difficult, so perhaps I should just be grateful it is so easy.

Greek :

That said, this same professor is also supervising my Modern Greek independent study and I met with him also today to discuss that. This did not go well either. To start, he admitted that he does not know the language well, secondly, he again had little understanding of the history of Greek phonology and thirdly repeatedly insulted both my decision to study Modern Greek (as opposed to Classical) as well as my capabilities as a language learner.

French :

In my French litterature class today we discussed the Balzac reading I did yesterday. It was nothing out of the ordinary, but I did learn a bit more about the life of Balzac himself, which was nice, and I would certainly rather read Balzac than much of the other stuff my degree has had me read.
5 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:02 pm

Well well well. This term continues to become, in the words of Lewis Carol, "curiouser and curiouser". After I moved in last weekend, another of my classes was moved online. Not wishing to spend my entire term just sitting in my dormitory room taking online classes, and not particularly wanting to have to pay for such an unnecessary dormitory room, I am going back to my parents' house. This will have the both fortunate and unfortunate consequence of my returning to work, thus leading to my earning more money, of which I am in need to pay for university, but also to my having less time to study languages, which is a great disappointment.

French :

I had one of my classes today. In it, we discusses briefly the evolution of what could be called "pop culture" from the inter-war period until more recently. This class is definitely way too easy for me, but I suppose I should just be quiet and be thankful for the easy mark.
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:58 pm

Well, I am now back with my parents. This does have the advantage of allowing me access to my full library, which is quite nice, along with my own desk, which is significantly larger than the one I had at uni, which makes studying much easier. At the rate things are currently going, next month I will probably be on the moon or some such thing, so we shall see what happens next.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”