Japanese, Swedish, and Polyglotism Language Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Re: Japanese, Swedish, and Polyglotism Language Log

Postby Xelian » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:30 pm

I woke up from another trilingual dream and thought I'd come post another language log :D

For the first one, I was speaking in Japanese mixed with some English with some classmates, and in the second I was speaking Swedish. I had a Swedish conversation with some kind of tour guide. He was impressed :lol:

I don't remember the Japanese one so well, but in the Swedish one, I said:

"...Jag kan tala svenska.
Jag tycker om språk."

I said other stuff but I really can't remember. I'm just ecstatic I am finally dreaming in the languages I'm studying, it's like my mind finally gets it, even though the phrases are simple, sometimes that's all you need in real life too.

Also, I changed the name of my log again, as I'm not focusing on my polyglot needs as much anymore. I will get back to it, just not until the school year is completed or settled down. x-x I also just would rather just show my focus languages, rather than being misleading and saying "East Asian x Swedish and Spanish". I can't say when I'll be getting back to Korean and Chinese, but my fascination with them kind of comes and goes. I am always kind of learning Spanish little by little, but for the most part it's gone stagnant now. I might go to Mexico next year with a family, but since I don't know the dates, and kind of don't take it seriously (just seems like a thought rather than a real plan), it's less motivating to learn Spanish. I have a budding interest in Arabic going on, but because of the lack of time, I'm having trouble starting it up again. (I did learn a small bit of Arabic at a point). It really is a fascinating one to try.

Anyway, on to what I've been up to this week. I took the kanji quiz for this chapter. It went really well!!! We're on lecture 6 now, and will have lecture 7 on Tuesday. We completed the chapter, so on Monday, we're having the first chapter exam. I contacted a classmate asking how he gets such good grades in the class, and he told me it's not really having Japanese language skills that makes it happen, it's knowing how to play the game of the class. So I've been working on how to balance studying materials for the sake of exams, and studying materials for the sake of my interest... It's kind of unfair in that way, I wish I could just study my languages how I want, but I won't deny the amount that I learn by taking these classes as well (in terms of useful vocabulary and kanji, speaking skills, and writing skills).
Progress report:
Japanese 313
-1/3 Tobira chapters completed
-6/18 lecture homework pages completed
-3/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/3 kanji quizzes taken
-0/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 project: research paper completed
-0/1 project: speech completed
-0/1 oral interview taken
-0/1 final exam taken

Things went okay in Swedish class this week. It's odd, I go back and forth between loving it and feeling like it's a chore, but I usually enjoy the classes when I go to them. We completed the chapter, chapter quiz, and chapter vocabulary quiz.
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-2/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-2/6 chapter quizzes taken
-2/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/2 verbal exams taken
-0/2 written exams taken
-3/10 Swedish outside the classroom

I made a good amount of transitive/intransitive flashcards for Japanese. You can see them on my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karateneko2/
But yeah today I'm making it a rule that I can't touch my phone or go on social media again until I've gone through the cards. xD I was thinking I might add the passive and causative versions of the transitive verb to the cards as well. I believe that is how it works, the transitive generally takes on the passive form... Please correct me if I'm mistaken!!!

I'm also using Lang-8 again to practice sentences for my exams. Wish me luck!
0 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi

Postby Xelian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:25 pm

I took the first chapter exam, and it's the best score I've gotten since the beginning of the year, so that's reassuring!!!

Some of the points I lost my 4.0 student friend also lost, so I'm not so worried about those particular points. What I need to focus on now, on top of studying the grammar examples intensively (which is how I got this score on my exam) is the reading comprehension portion. It seems that I got the most points on the answers I gave that were literally copying the text, so there was no way the instructor could mark me wrong. For the ones I got wrong, I checked in with my friend with, and he told me I used a "strange verb" for one, and didn't answer the question with the correct form. For example, when a question ends with ですか you must reply with です. I knew this, but I must have slipped up because of time restrictions pressuring me to finish (I was really taking my time to be sure I got everything as accurate as possible). I am satisfied I only lost a single point on the grammar section (due to a simple spelling error, annoyingly), and lost nothing on the vocabulary and kanji sections. Anyway, I'll be trying to finish this year off strong, so I'll be perfecting my methods for the last 2 exams. Better late than never, and it is the last quarter that REALLY counts, if I get too low of a score on the final quarter, I will not be accepted into 4th year Japanese, so the stakes are up high this time!!
Progress report:
Japanese 313
-8/18 lecture homework pages completed
-4/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/3 kanji quizzes taken
-1/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 final exam taken

Swedish is pretty usual. Just moving right along. We have another vocabulary and chapter quiz on Monday, which I'll be working on this weekend. Fun fun fun!
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-3/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-2/6 chapter quizzes taken
-2/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-0/2 verbal exams taken
-0/2 written exams taken
-4/10 Swedish outside the classroom
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 pm

We're on midterms week!!! Looks like Japanese doesn't participate in midterms, we just pile it all till the end, because we haven't done half of the stuff we need to yet lol... Wow, I just looked and we have two kanji quizzes in the same week later in the quarter xD... Better work on the kanji soon!!!

Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-10/18 lecture homework pages completed
-5/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/3 kanji quizzes taken
-1/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 final exam taken

We had our midterm verbal and written exams this week in Swedish. I think they went okay. Swedish is getting harder as we work more on it, actually. We'll see how the rest of the quarter goes!!!
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-3/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-3/6 chapter quizzes taken
-3/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/2 verbal exams taken
-1/2 written exams taken
-5/10 Swedish outside the classroom

Also, I quit Facebook, maybe this will help me stop procrastinating or talking to friends while doing homework. It sounds immature, and it is, but I've just formed a habit of messaging friends while doing my homework. x-x;

EDIT: I have a midterm for my Japanese film class on Monday. It should be easy, I just have to study the names, directors, and years that the films were made. If any of you are into avant-guard films, I recommend "Funeral Parade of Roses/薔薇の葬列" (1969). It's my favorite film we've watched in the class so far. I also liked "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs/女が階段を上る時" (1960). We're going to be getting to more recent films in the next weeks, so I'll hopefully have some other recommendations.
2 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 am

I actually forgot about last week's post!!! So, I'll write about the past week, and where we'll be by Friday. (It's only Wednesday, but not too much is happening the rest of this week it seems).

Well, we're on to chapter 9 in Tobira. Wow, my last chapter for the year!!! (though I'll probably go through the chapters this summer too)
I was so happy, I got a 100% on my second kanji quiz ^^~ Onwards, to the final exam!!! (screams internally)
Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-2/3 Tobira chapters completed
-13/18 lecture homework pages completed
-6/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-2/3 kanji quizzes taken
-2/2 chapter exams taken
-0/1 final exam taken

I did well with my tests in Swedish. ALSO... I have BIG news.... I'm actually continuing Swedish next year!! I found out that a Swedish minor will work perfectly in my schedule. (Though I will have to sacrifice my sleep for 9:00 classes all year) Anyway, I'm really happy I get to keep learning ^^~
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-4/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-4/6 chapter quizzes taken
-4/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/2 verbal exams taken
-1/2 written exams taken
-7/10 Swedish outside the classroom

P.S: I translated a blog post into Swedish (with some help from Lang-8 friends), you can see it here: http://polyglotwriting.blogspot.com/2017/05/varfor-lamnade-jag-facebook.html It was a lot of fun, but hard work haha
1 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Sun May 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Finished the research paper. Now, on to the presentation and oral exams... x-x We are almost done, and I can't wait. But I know the next couple of weeks are going to be absolute hell. BUT, a week after everything is done, I'm off to a vacation in Japan! ^^
Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-15/18 lecture homework pages completed
-8/8 vocabulary quizzes taken
-2/3 kanji quizzes taken
-2/2 chapter exams taken
-1/1 project: research paper completed
-0/1 final exam taken

I'm looking forward to continuing Swedish next year, but I'll probably work on it this summer as well. We're getting close to the end now, and things shouldn't be too difficult here.
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-5/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-5/6 chapter quizzes taken
-5/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/2 verbal exams taken
-1/2 written exams taken
-9/10 Swedish outside the classroom

(I don't feel like finishing, help me)
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm

I made it through a good bulk of the stress, making my presentation and presenting. It's a miracle, we have a holiday on Monday!!! So I have lots of time to prepare for things, but I have quite a lot to prepare for so I don't think it matters much. It is our final week though at least. So I have L18 homework, a kanji quiz, oral interview preparation, and the final exam all next week :| I don't wanna prepare at all...
Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-17/18 lecture homework pages completed
-2/3 kanji quizzes taken
-2/2 chapter exams taken
-1/1 project: speech completed
-0/1 final exam taken

We're on our last week with Swedish too. Now we just have the verbal and written exams later in the week.
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-6/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-6/6 chapter quizzes taken
-6/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-1/2 verbal exams taken
-1/2 written exams taken
-9/10 Swedish outside the classroom
0 x

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:02 pm

I've finally finished this year!!! I got back my final exam results for Japanese, and I am proud to say that I am moving on to 4th year Japanese next year!!! I'm really happy, but I'm extremely exhausted. I tried too hard this quarter to make up for the last quarter, but it was clearly worth it. I've planned a trip to Japan for myself, and I'm going in about a week. Here's my most recent youtube video about that if you're curious, and stay tuned if you want to see videos in Japan! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIEFHoJz9Kc&lc=z13pdfybiwj2fbwf123nut4jgrqkutz0e

Progress report:
Japanese 313:
-3/3 Tobira chapters completed
-18/18 lecture homework pages completed
-3/3 kanji quizzes taken
-2/2 chapter exams taken
-1/1 project: speech completed
-1/1 oral interview taken
-1/1 final exam taken

We had a nice time celebrating Swedish midsommaren by dancing like frogs around the classroom. And I'm finally done with all of the 1st year Swedish classes!
Progress report:
Swedish 103:
-6/6 Rivstart chapters completed
-6/6 chapter quizzes taken
-6/6 vocabulary quizzes taken
-2/2 verbal exams taken
-2/2 written exams taken
-10/10 Swedish outside the classroom

I definitely am going to continue my studies and preparation for next year throughout the summer. I contacted my 4th year Japanese instructor and am going to be preparing for that class as much as I can. I am also planning to contact my Swedish teacher for next year so I can prepare. I didn't expect that I would go on to second year Swedish, but I really hope that I can do well!

Anyway, I'll be in Japan for two weeks, I may or may not update, but I'm planning to get on with reading Japanese articles and a lot of other fun stuff. I'm pondering starting a fresh language log, because this past year was kind of just a mess, or keeping this one, but we'll see. I have 3 months of summer off (the longest I've taken off in two years), so I'll definitely be reporting back about my language learning, in either case~! Happy summer everyone!!!
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Xelian wrote:I've finally finished this year!!! I got back my final exam results for Japanese, and I am proud to say that I am moving on to 4th year Japanese next year!!![...]We had a nice time celebrating Swedish midsommaren by dancing like frogs around the classroom. And I'm finally done with all of the 1st year Swedish classes!

Congratulations! Well done!
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Xelian
Orange Belt

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:

Postby Xelian » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:49 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Xelian wrote:I've finally finished this year!!! I got back my final exam results for Japanese, and I am proud to say that I am moving on to 4th year Japanese next year!!![...]We had a nice time celebrating Swedish midsommaren by dancing like frogs around the classroom. And I'm finally done with all of the 1st year Swedish classes!

Congratulations! Well done!

Thanks so much! :D
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Well done, I'm happy for you!

I hope you enjoy your long summer and your visit to Japan!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”