Bex's Spanish log 2016/17

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Re: Bex's Spanish log 2016

Postby Bex » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:21 am

Assimil lessons: 75 - 80 completed (passive wave) and 26-31 completed (active wave)
Glossika GMS: Level 1 completed
Glossika GSR: 67 - 69
Language Transfer: zero again!
Watching Spanish TV: 4 evenings of 30 mins - so at least a couple of hours as usual.

Still plodding along with Assimil. Passive wave is actually becoming easier and more enjoyable now that it appears to have left the more poetic language behind. Which suits me much better.

The active wave is becoming almost impossible, I was getting around 5-15% errors up until the passive wave lesson 28 but I am now starting to get over 20% incorrect. However it is making all my weaknesses nice and transparent, which is helpful. I think once I start getting over 30-40% error rates I will have to go back and do a second active wave :roll:

I have to say that the forced output that the second wave is making me produce is really hard but I realise that in order to get better this is exactly what I need to be doing and it is making it obvious that I am not doing anywhere near enough output work.

The Glossika that I have been doing has been really helping with my audio comprehension (especially on TV) and although I haven't done much new GSR this week, I did go back to track 10 GSR and listened from there to 10 or more tracks this week whilst working/pottering.

I found it very useful to go back, see exactly where my weaknesses are and now that I know pretty much all the vocabulary in level 1 Glossika, it's just natural speed speech production and the past tenses I'm working on now and I am getting better (slowly). I have decided to get the level 1 sentences in Glossika really nailed before I move on to level 2, as I think getting a really strong base will be really useful (for me anyway) when it comes to speaking.

I also tend to just plough through all my resources as fast as I can hoping that if I do enough of them or cover something from enough different angles, it'll stick eventually. Anyway I thought I'd try a different, more in depth approach with the Glossika level 1 material and see if over learning might be something that is effective for me.
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Right I am going to post this on my log just because the aim of this log was to motivate me to finish some of the many courses I had started and never finished, well it seems to be working....

I have finally finished Duolingo...it only took me two years :oops: but I have finally finished it.

I know it's not much but for me it is an achievement, not so much the doing but the completing. Now what am I going to do in those spare 5 minutes waiting for things??
4 x
Kwiziq

westminstress
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), French (beginner)

Postby westminstress » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Two ideas: (1) Memrise (2) Clozemaster.

The two things I do on Memrise are verb conjugation drills (EdThird's course) and vocab review - Ben Whatley has a huge one based on frequency, or you can make your own course to memorize words that you have encountered and want to remember.

Clozemaster is interesting because it is sentence-based, so you get more of a context for the word, and you end up drilling on grammar as well as vocab. It is really random though in terms of what words come up. I don't think it would be helpful to learn new words, but I like it so far as a test of things I should already know.

Memrise works offline and Clozemaster doesn't.
2 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:03 pm

westminstress wrote:Two ideas: (1) Memrise (2) Clozemaster.

Oooh I shall check them both out. I have tried Memorise before but I had Anki, Duolingo and Memrise all on the go at once and it was too much.

I rarely use Anki as I find it too boring so I'll give these two a look and thanks for the course recommendations; really appreciated.

Thanks
0 x
Kwiziq

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:54 am

Assimil lessons: 81 - 89 completed (passive wave) and 32-35 completed (active wave)
Glossika GMS: Level 1 completed
Glossika GSR: 70 - 73
Language Transfer: nada!
Watching Spanish TV: At least 4 evenings of 30 mins.

Glossika: Still ploughing through, really trying to get a hold on the conjugations (really, really scrutinising the past tenses at the moment) and so it is slow but I am making progress. I can feel that the tenses are becoming more automatic and I now notice the mistakes I am making and I understand exactly why I should be using each tense (for the indicative mood a least), so it's just lots and lots of practice now to really nail this.

Still watching TV most evenings and I am noticing that I am (very) slowly picking things up. I was watching a talk show the other evening and I noticed that I understood nearly every word but I couldn't understand the sentences, felt really weird and became quite frustrating at one point. I am sure that if I had read what they were saying that I would've understood nearly all of it but I couldn't even work out what they were talking about :roll:

Assimil is going surprisingly well now, I am ploughing through the lessons, managed 9 passive and 5 active this week. Often doing 2 passive wave lessons a day and at least 1 active lesson. The active lessons are hard and I make a lot of mistakes but I have given up worrying about the mistakes. I don't worry to much about any vocabulary that I don't know, I figure that will come with time and exposure but I do carefully look at any grammer issues when I check through my active wave sentences for errors, feels like I'm a teacher except I'm marking my own work. The active wave has shown that my verb conjugating is my weak spot and I really need to work on that a lot.

Only 20 Assimil lessons to go - I might actually finish it this time :D :D :D
1 x
Kwiziq

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Postby Fatih » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:29 am

You're about to finish Assimil, thats really great! Do you have plans for after that? Will you continue with the using spanish book?
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 am

Fatih wrote:You're about to finish Assimil, thats really great! Do you have plans for after that? Will you continue with the using spanish book?

I have been wondering what to do when I finish, I do not think I will go on to the Using Spanish book because honestly I have not really enjoyed the Assimil course that much and it is just my sheer pigheadedness (and a few stern words from kind forum members ;) ) that has got me this far.

When I reach the end of the passive wave I intend to start the active wave again, I find the active wave very useful and the forced output is something I need to continue doing everyday. I do also have a copy of the Assimil without toil (1957) book and all the audio and I was considering using this next but maybe in a less intensive way.

What I would like to achieve next:
1. I would like to somehow transfer what I have learned so far from Assimil into actual usable Spanish for conversations.
2. I really would like to consolidate this base before moving onto more complicated grammar or usage.

My reading is pretty acceptable (to me) at the moment but my speaking ability still lags far behind. Speaking is the element I would really like to tackle next - I don't want the gap to get any bigger so I would like to transfer some of my passive knowledge into active.

Although this being the first language I've learnt, as ever I'm not really sure of the best way to go about this?

edited: spelling (twice!)
1 x
Kwiziq

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Postby Fatih » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:36 am

I don’t want to perceived as a smarty-pants but I think after finishing With Ease, you probably will not benefit much if you spend your time on Without Toil, which is something very similar to With Ease and more or less has the same difficulty level. Sure it will help you to consolidate what you’ve already known but will not be chanllenging at all.

Considering that you have a decent level in reading but don’t want to continue neither FSI, nor Using Spanish, I think only options I can name are Listenig Reading and using native materials.
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt

Postby Bex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:12 pm

Fatih wrote:I don’t want to perceived as a smarty-pants but I think after finishing With Ease, you probably will not benefit much if you spend your time on Without Toil, which is something very similar to With Ease and more or less has the same difficulty level. Sure it will help you to consolidate what you’ve already known but will not be chanllenging at all.

Considering that you have a decent level in reading but don’t want to continue neither FSI, nor Using Spanish, I think only options I can name are Listenig Reading and using native materials.

Yes you are probably right the Without Toil will probably not challenge me enough. Not sure if I fancy the L/R method as I'm not much of a reader even in my native language. I will take a look at native materials though but I will have to come up with a fairly concrete method and goal (both daily and long term) or I'll just be lazy and do as little as possible each day :roll:
0 x
Kwiziq

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Bex wrote:...What I would like to achieve next:
1. I would like to somehow transfer what I have learned so far from Assimil into actual usable Spanish for conversations.
2. I really would like to consolidate this base before moving onto more complicated grammar or usage.
My reading is pretty acceptable (to me) at the moment but my speaking ability still lags far behind. Speaking is the element I would really like to tackle next - I don't want the gap to get any bigger so I would like to transfer some of my passive knowledge into active.
Although this being the first language I've learnt, as ever I'm not really sure of the best way to go about this?

Congratulations on nearly finishing Assimil despite your misgivings! Sometimes in language-learnig you just have to suck it up and get tough. You did.

I once read somewhere that once you finish your course(s) is the time when you can now start actually learning the language. This is true. It can be a bit of a daunting task because there's nobody there to hold your hand and guide you, like your course has done. I've seen this before with learners in a similar situation. What you do after Assimil is critical for your Spanish skills. Some learners have no intention to speak but you have expressed this desire, so- yes, then you absolutely need to start speaking and/or writing. You are ready. You can seek out a language exchange for free online or in person. I assume from your English that you are in the UK or Ireland ("learnt" is a dead giveaway ;)). Most major cities in the UK have a resident Spanish-speaking population. It's a matter of seeking out opportunities, getting outside of your comfort zone. Have a look at garyb's log for inspiration. He lives in Scotland. You could always give yourself a reward by going to Spain for a couple of weeks (Get away from the Costa as fast as you can for the interior. There's a whole country out there to discover where they've never heard of bacon baps, sarnies or fish and chips.).

Sometimes, it is better to just pay someone. A paid tutor can be found online from Guatemala for £8 an hour via two sites nulengua.com & plqe.org/skype. Using a tutor for conversation practice has many benefits.

I find that for me consolidating what I have is best done through use, both "passive" and "active". Spanish needs to become part of your daily life in some way that is useful to you. For example, I get most of my US news in Spanish these days (I'm American) and regularly listen to and watch Spanish-language media. Find a Spanish-speaking person to talk with on a regular basis- either chat/skype/in-person/email/paid tutor or any combination. You don't have to speak every day but even twice weekly one hour skype sessions will do wonders for your Spanish. Reading in Spanish, whatever interests you, is also a great way to maintain, consolidate and improve. a good site that you should be ready to benefit from is veintemundos. There are ton of articles for intermediate level with a wide range of topics from across the Spanish-speaking world. The articles can be downloaded in pdf or read online with mouse over definitions/explanations of unfamiliar text. The articles have audio in both Latin American and Iberian Spanish, also free to download. If you did this on a regular basis (maybe 3 or 4 times a week) you would learn quite a lot in a few months time.

You can write on lang-8.com for correction. It helps not to be a "drive-by" poster (posting only and not correcting others' English) but an active member who corrects Spanish-speakers' English. You should give the kind of corrections for their English that you would like to have for your Spanish by going above and beyond the minimum of just crossing out words. Explain why you made the corrections you wrote in as much detail as you can. In this way, you will get better and more useful corrections yourself from the users you cultivate and win friends which may lead to a free language exchange. Posts are best kept short on lang-8, around a paragraph, so as not to fatigue your correctors.

In short, start actually using Spanish and make the effort to do so. ¡Suerte!

Edit: There's still more to learn and just because you use native resources and speak doesn't mean that grammar study isn't helpful. It is very helpful and useful. FSI Spanish Basic Course for grammar and usage drills; Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca has multimedia/interactive lessons and exercises from A1 through C1; Gramatica de Uso del Español is a good way to internalize Spanish grammar and usage too.
6 x

Return to “Language logs”