Hestia's Log (FR, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying daily: Classical Syriac, Korean, Tatar
Studying weekly/on-and-off: Chechen, Setswana, Belarusian, Afrikaans
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Hestia's Log (FR, JP)

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am

Xenops wrote:What is the "という" after the anime's title? And you put titles of works in parenthesis?
"という" in this case means "called", and the parentheses are just that - I meant that if you want to mention the name of the anime in the same sentence you can include the part in the parentheses, and if not you can leave it out. If you do want to clearly mark a title of a work you can use the Japanese square brackets, 「」 or 『』 (some people say that the latter are preferable because the former are for quotes, but unless you're writing a sentence where you need to clearly distinguish between the two it won't matter much which you use).

Xenops wrote:And the "ばかり" refers to multiple Japanese people?
"ばかり" here means "all", as in "The Japanese were all nice people. You could also show that there were several of them by using みんな: 日本人はみんな親切(な人)でした. It's not really necessary though.
1 x

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).

Postby Xenops » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 am

Bonsoir peeps,

Well, this year is about over. I can't say I got as much done with language learning as I wanted when the year began, but then again, I had a lot going on:

1. Drew the epilogue for my comic, Concerning Rosamond Grey, and thus concluded the comic. :cry:
2. Graduated with my second undergraduate degree, in medical laboratory science.
3. Got a job in Boston and moved across the country.
4. Lost said job, and am currently looking for another in the Boston area.

I guess two big accomplishments for me have been my grades in my second semester (my lowest grade was a B-) and moving to Boston. I had wondered if I could across the country, and if I could adjust to a new culture and learn to like it. I did have culture shock, and sometimes I still note things that are done differently than back in Idaho, but I have grown to like Boston. In fact, if someone told me to leave Boston and go back West, I would be seriously depressed. I absolutely love the access to native speakers of so many different languages, and of course, their food. ;)

Last week I visited a Japanese church, and while the pastor and his wife are fluent English speakers, most of the time the sermon and subsequent conversation was in Japanese. The attendees were very hospitable to me, and a couple helped me with my beginning Japanese.

I have met up with my Quebec tutor twice now, and my French pronunciation is improving.

Probably for the next year, I'll make a new log. I feel like I've wandered around with my language studies on this one, and I would like to be *focused* for the next one, and for the next year. I'll also post my resources on the first post.
2 x

coldrainwater
Green Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (intermediate), DE (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:50 am

I am glad the year went well for you. Those are some major life changes in a super short amount and it looks like you have excellent prospects. Many people have gone to Boston and decided not to leave. It is a place near and dear for many of my friends from bygone days.
2 x

Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Nansha (constructing).

Postby Xenops » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:18 pm

coldrainwater wrote:I am glad the year went well for you. Those are some major life changes in a super short amount and it looks like you have excellent prospects. Many people have gone to Boston and decided not to leave. It is a place near and dear for many of my friends from bygone days.

I was surprised how quickly I have come to love Boston: I had moved to a town in southeastern Idaho for the my second degree, and even after a year of living there, I couldn't wait to move out. Now only 3-4 months in Boston, and I don't want to leave. :D
0 x

Return to “Language logs”