Hestia's Log (FR, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Japanese (rusty A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=48718#p48718

Re: Hestia's Log (FR, JP)

Postby Xenops » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 am

DaveBee wrote:Excellent news, glad things are working out so well for you. :-)

Indeed, it has gone strangely well--God seems to have paved the way for me. :D If anyone wants to know the details, send me a PM.
0 x
: 32 / 113 Assimil New French with Ease
: 7 / 52 French in Action

Check out my comic at: http://rosamondgrey.smackjeeves.com/

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 pm

I have come to a conclusion: I'm having a hard time studying for my MLS boards, with the indefinite timeline and the indefinite reward of "when I'm ready to take this test, then I'll take it, then I'll be free to study languages". Without a definite goal or reward, I find myself putting off the studying for the boards, and also do not get language studying done, either.

So what I'll try is this: when I study a certain amount for the boards each day, I'll reward myself with language study that day. This is an immediate reward system. I've tried it today, and I'm already studying more for the boards than I have recently. :)

Most of my time lately has been getting ready to move to Boston. I already sold my car, I hold a moving sale this weekend, etc. I mailed quite a few boxes back East, and I had to realize that, no, I probably don't need that Old English textbook, or the Swahili phrasebook, or the Scottish-Gaelic book...
3 x

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Like my attempts of studying languages using Anki, I'm finding that using it for studying for the MLS isn't as effective as I would like. It's good for random, arbitrary facts like for microbiology, but not so much physiology. Thankfully, if I watch good Youtube videos on pathophysiology--learning the why and the how--then I understand the disease states quite easily. Though Anki is useful for learning words in isolation.

With all of my French books mailed to Boston, I looked online for free French resources, and came across again the FSI and DLI courses. I'm thinking it might help me to do one of these courses: I feel like I'm getting passive knowledge with Assimil and French in Action, but not enough active knowledge "to make it my own". I feel like I need drills, as uninteresting as it can be. Though I find the DLI course more to my liking than the FSI course: I like the way it's organized, and the audio gives prompts as to which page I should be looking at.

I'm also making it a goal to learn katakana before I move: the goal is mainly so I have one less book to pack. ;) It is Reading Japanese by Eleanor Harz Jorden and Hamako Ito Chaplin: https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Japanese-Yale-Language-English/dp/0300019130/ref=la_B001IOBMWM_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503790923&sr=1-8

Lately, I've also been interested to pick up Korean again...But I don't see how I could juggle two difficult languages at once. I am also considering my past interest in the language, and the possibility of God calling me to study that language. At this point, I am unsure: so I will continue with what I know, and that is with certainty to study French, and that I have the freedom to study Japanese.

Of course, I'm finding this language institute rather drool-worthy: http://www.bostonlanguage.com/fl/listOfLanguages.htm
2 x

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Bonjour mes amis! I made it to Boston. :D Well, Medford, but close enough. I was right in my initial thinking: that if I wanted to move to another country, I should first move to another culture in my own country, and see how I can adapt. I am suffering from culture shock, truth be told: if Idaho is vanilla or strawberry ice cream (boring and plain), then Boston is like the ice cream chain 31 flavors. I'm astounded at the differences. I'm also astounded that I'm here: I had no inkling of coming to the East Coast until this summer; I had my sights on Portland or Seattle, at the furthest. But I found a job, an apartment with a reasonable roommate, and a church with relative ease; I guess God wanted me here. :)

For languages, I'm astounded (I'll use that word alot) at the variety of spoken languages here. I now often eavesdrop on someone speaking French. There's a Japanese grocery a 10-minute walk from my apartment, with native Japanese speakers working there. In Idaho, I would go months without hearing either language spoken.

I'm reviewing French in Action, and listening to it on my commute. I find that I missed it. :) When I have a portion with parts I'm supposed to repeat, I whisper the words. Nobody around me seems to notice, since they are often on their phones.

For Japanese, I worked on Katakana and Hiragana games a lot on my computer when I was at the airport...And I haven't worked on it since. :? This is one example: https://japaneseup.com/japanese-alphabet-typing-game-katakana/

I'm finding that I'm lacking enthusiasm for studying for my ASCP boards, because I discovered that my current job doesn't *require* it. It's strongly encouraged that I take it, if I want to be promoted later I would have to take it, but the focus of language study is really tempting me...
3 x

reineke
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Engrish

Postby reineke » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 am

Boston... potatoes...vanilla ice-cream... love 'em. Good luck!
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).

Postby DaveBee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 am

Xenops wrote:I'm finding that I'm lacking enthusiasm for studying for my ASCP boards, because I discovered that my current job doesn't *require* it. It's strongly encouraged that I take it, if I want to be promoted later I would have to take it, but the focus of language study is really tempting me...
Could you do both? Study for your ASCP boards exams, but supplement your text books with some relevant french language texts?
1 x
FR films: 59 / 100, FR books: 35 / 35

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:53 am

DaveBee wrote:
Xenops wrote:I'm finding that I'm lacking enthusiasm for studying for my ASCP boards, because I discovered that my current job doesn't *require* it. It's strongly encouraged that I take it, if I want to be promoted later I would have to take it, but the focus of language study is really tempting me...
Could you do both? Study for your ASCP boards exams, but supplement your text books with some relevant french language texts?

This had me thinking all day yesterday. :) My only concerns are that I'm at a pretty low level in French, and I would really need to work on basics before I could make much use of native French materials. It might be hard for me to juggle things at once, even if they complement each other. Thank you for your suggestion; under different circumstances I would engage in it, but if I could *focus* on the exam for the next month or so, then I'll be free. ;)
1 x

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:54 am

reineke wrote:Boston... potatoes...vanilla ice-cream... love 'em. Good luck!

That's what I should have used! Idaho is like a plain baked potato, and Boston is like an ethnic dish with all sorts of spices. :D
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).

Postby DaveBee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

Xenops wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

This had me thinking all day yesterday. :) My only concerns are that I'm at a pretty low level in French, and I would really need to work on basics before I could make much use of native French materials. It might be hard for me to juggle things at once, even if they complement each other. Thank you for your suggestion; under different circumstances I would engage in it, but if I could *focus* on the exam for the next month or so, then I'll be free. ;)
I definitely agree on making your exam your top priority.

-----------
As a separate issue, I wouldn't underestimate your french passive understanding. It really does have more common vocabulary with english that you'd think, so reading a french language book where you have domain-specific knowledge might well be more understandable than you'd expect. But that is perhaps something you should explore *after* your exam. :-)
2 x
FR films: 59 / 100, FR books: 35 / 35

Xenops
Blue Belt

Postby Xenops » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 am

My ASCP exam is scheduled for October 28th, and then hopefully, I'll be free. :D I finally found a source of motivation: coworkers close to my age or younger passed the exam, and having felt like an outsider most of my life, this provides motivation to work hard to be with the "cool kids".

I have been using Anki to study for the exam, and I made a video of my methods for my Facebook group:

I'm so looking forward to being done with this. Then, language time!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”