Sgt Schultz knows nothing!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Sgt Schultz knows nothing!

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Sgt Schultz wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:If you haven't yet watched El Ministerio del tiempo, I loved it. It's a Spanish series about a government ministry in charge of making sure history doesn't get changed, and they have time portals they use to travel to different times to fix it any time someone changes history.

Thanks for the recommendation. I looked at that one briefly a few weeks ago. It seemed interesting and I may start watching it. It sounds similar to a new show that started this week on NBC called Timeless.

Yeah. There's a reason for that.

http://www.mediatrends.es/a/94552/el-mi ... on-plagio/
1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Schade, dass du Deutsch verlassen hast.

Good luck with the other languages.
0 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Main focus: Spanish (B2)
For Fun: French(A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3797

Postby Sgt Schultz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:18 pm

---Spanish---

I didn't do much this week. After finishing Gran Hotel and the book I was reading/listening to, I didn't start anything else.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a DELE exam. Probably the B1 to start and then B2 later on. Although I don't need the diploma, it would be nice to prove to myself that I taught myself Spanish to a useful level.

Yesterday I was thinking about what steps I'd do to prepare. I have the gramatica de uso A1-B2 pdf that should be useful for grammar review and writing. I could re-do Assimil Spanish for reading and listening practice (heavy on the listening). That only leaves speaking and since I speak to my girlfriend in Spanish, that should cover that part. Finally, review the previous exam papers. I downloaded them earlier in the week and have an idea of what the format of the exam is. Later, I'll dig in deeper on the exam papers.

---Wanderlust---

I finished Paul Noble Italian earlier in the week. That's it for now with my Italian wanderlust.

Since I like my drive time to be my wanderlust time, I'll need something to listen to. I could review the German course and see if I'm ready to resume German. That would probably make Tastyonions happy :)

Until next time...
2 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Time for the mid-week update...

---Spanish---

I've started going through a grammar review using Gramatica Del Uso Del Espanol A1-B2. Today is lesson 7. I've been doing these 2 per day and will continue at that rate.

I've been looking around the web for short authentic Spanish audio/video with a transcript for listening practice. I found this one http://www.spanishlistening.org and have listened to a couple of them. They are ok so far. I'd like to make sure my listening is in the solid B2 range so I can pass the DELE B1 with plenty of room to spare. I'm not sure how to go about that other than doing a lot of listening.

123TeachMe has a nice section for listening (website here: http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish ... on_index_2) but there is no transcript. After I listen a few times, I like to be able to go back and see the transcript to check myself. I do like the comprehension exercises though.

I had planned to use Assimil Spanish as a listening resource but I simply don't like that Assimil edition and probably won't use it unless I can't find anything better.

---Random---

During drive time I've been reviewing Paul Noble German Level 1. There are so many things about German that bugs me and that I find overly complicated for no apparent (or useful) reason. A couple examples, such as:

- die Mutter but mit der Mutter. Masculine, feminine and neuter words all change after mit and nach. I can't see any logical reason for this other than this is just how it is.

- eine, einen, einem, einer...all ways to say 'a' and depends on the noun gender and how it's used in the sentence. If you mess up the gender of the noun, basically the rest of the sentence is messed up. That's frustrating. My Austrian buddy says that each one has a reason and each one serves a purpose but he couldn't elaborate on that. Actually, most questions I ask him end in "well, I can't explain it but that's just the way it works" :)

I'll wrap up with that but these have been my experiences with German the past couple of days. More annoyance than fun. I have a feeling German and I are headed for an ugly breakup that ends with yelling and one of us throwing the others clothes out the window.

Until next time...
1 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:54 pm

I missed my normal Sunday and mid-week updates, but never fear, I haven't been slacking :)

--- Spanish ---

My focus is still on preparing for the DELE. Right now I'm focusing on grammar and listening. Today is lesson #14 in the Gramatica Del Uso. I've actually picked up a couple things I didn't know (or had forgotten). I've also been watching Spanish YouTube videos for listening practice.

--- German ---

German and I have called a truce and I'm fighting through the beginner stages. I still find a lot of the grammar stuff pointless but I'm doing my best to learn it. My first goal here is A1 but I'm in no rush to reach that. I'm just doing a little here and a little there. Eventually I'll get there.
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:01 pm

Viel Glück! Der Anfang ist das Schwerste. Die Hauptsache ist, nicht die Geduld zu verlieren. Mit der Zeit klärt sich alles auf.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Keep on persevering! I read your log, and I'm rooting for you.

Did you ever get the cases figured out in German?
1 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:54 am

Systematiker wrote:Keep on persevering! I read your log, and I'm rooting for you.

Did you ever get the cases figured out in German?

Thanks :) It's still a work in progress. In general I understand when to use what (and why) but I still need practice.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:17 am

Don't let German get you down. There's someone on this forum (I can't remember who, or I'd give proper credit) who refers to German as a pay up front language and Spanish as a pay as you go language. That means that with Spanish, you learn the grammar gradually. It isn't particularly overwhelming at any point, but there is always something new to be learned until you are pretty advanced. With German, there is an overwhelming amount of stuff to learn in the beginning, but once you've got that down, it's just a matter of increasing vocabulary, improving your listening skills and gaining fluency. So, if you can just hold on through the beginning stages, German will eventually get much easier.
1 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 pm

2017 Log

Looks like it's been nearly 3 months without an update to this log. I'm a slacker, I know. So, what have I been up to?

- I'm still using Spanish on a daily basis. I'm not formally studying it any more but I do continue speaking, reading, writing and listening on a daily basis. I plan to put a bigger emphasis on listening in 2017. I'd like to be able to watch Spanish tv comfortably, something I struggle with, depending on what I'm watching. I'm still kicking around the idea of the DELE and would like to have it as proof to myself that I learned the language to a useful level. I've been kicking this idea around for about 3 years so it's time to either do it or not.

- I haven't done a single thing with German and that probably won't change in 2017. I'm mostly unmotivated with it since I don't have an actual use for the language.

- I finished an Italian beginners course and really enjoyed the language. It's so close to Spanish that it's not very difficult to pick up.

- I've had a little wanderlust with Latin recently.

Goals for 2017

- Keep making Spanish a major part of my daily life. Decide in the next few weeks if I want to take the DELE. Put up or shut up time.

- Finish MT Italian Foundation and Advanced. Then start reading easy short stories. I'm aiming for A2-B1.

- Focus and stay on track with the above goals.

- Minimize wanderlust. Seriously. Do it.

Random stuff

I had a short chat with rdearman a couple of weeks ago about building a website for a language learners book/dvd/etc exchange. He was thinking something along the lines of this website: http://readitswapit.co.uk/TheLibrary.aspx

I haven't done anything on it yet but it sounds like a great idea. If anyone has any comments or thoughts on this, I'd love to hear about it.

OK, that's all for today. Until next time.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”