Sgt Schultz knows nothing!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Sgt Schultz knows nothing!

Postby zjones » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm looking forward to reading about your progress with the French experiment.

When I started Assimil, I was a false beginner as well, and I had to do multiple lessons in a day because otherwise I got bored. It will get harder when you get into the middle of the book. Good luck!
1 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Main focus: Spanish (B2)
For Fun: French(A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3797

Postby Sgt Schultz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Day 3: Assimil lessons 12, 13 and 14 complete. So far so good. Between Spanish and being a native English speaker, many of the new French words I'm able to guess and the sentence structure is familiar. I'm still managing to stay away from audio/speaking courses. The only output I'm doing is occasionally reading out loud.
2 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 pm

Day 4: Assimil lessons 14 and 15. No problems so far. I might do some additional lessons this evening.

A couple of things I've noticed so far. First, having a solid command of Spanish helps tremendously with French sentence structure and grammar. Second, a lot of French vocabulary is similar to English words or to Spanish words I already know. Both of which helps my comprehension of new words.
2 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Day 5: Assimil 16 and 17. I didn't get as much done yesterday as I would have liked as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Allergies here, as always, are rough. But they have seemed worse than normal and I had little energy. Anyway, on to day 6...
0 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Sgt Schultz wrote:Day 5: Assimil 16 and 17. I didn't get as much done yesterday as I would have liked as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Allergies here, as always, are rough. But they have seemed worse than normal and I had little energy. Anyway, on to day 6...

Well, the allergies did me in for the past 2 weeks. Around this part of the country, ragweed has been bad lately and I've been without energy and laying around mostly. Which has been a setback for my French 90 day challenge. So, what I'm going to do is tack on 13 days to my end date, which will now be 12/24/2018 and hope it doesn't happen again.

So, Day 6: Assimil 18 and trying to get back into the swing of things.
1 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:16 pm

Day 7: Assimil 18 review. Did lessons 19 and 20. I started to encounter unknown words and phrases. Not too bad but one or two prevented me from understanding the sentence.
0 x

Sgt Schultz
Orange Belt

Postby Sgt Schultz » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:57 pm

So, 297 days since the last update. Lets see if I can recap.

My (at the time fiancée) moved to the US and we got married in the early part of this year. We've managed to survive the K1 visa process and the green card process. Which, I'm happy to say, has finally ended within the past week or so. She's adjusting well here so I'm happy about that.

Now that things are starting to settle down, I'm getting back on track for the DELE exam. Having a native Spanish speaker with me all the time is great help for bettering my Spanish.

For the DELE, I found a website with practice exams for many websites. They have a free tier that is useful so I don't have any plans to pay. It's here for anyone interested: https://globalexam.training.

I also have the Edelsa B1 exam book. Helpfully, it has a word list. I've been a little frustrated with the lack of transparency as to which words/verbs/tenses are on each exam level. I don't need an exact list but something that says some of these words may appear on the exam would be helpful. Otherwise it's just a guessing game.

For now, I'm focusing on listening as much as possible since I feel that is the skill that needs the most attention. For writing, read and speaking I feel those are spot on.

And that's it for now. I'll keep updating on my preparation for the DELE. As well as a date once I settle on one.
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:05 pm

Welcome back!