Lilly's log - French, Russian, Spanish and Italian

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Lilly's log - French and Russian

Postby Systematiker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:39 pm

blaurebell wrote:
Systematiker wrote:Y'all are making me nostalgic, I might have to go re-read them...

From experience I can tell you that the German translation is rather nice :lol: Nice enough for the paperbacks to fall apart, and fights with my brother about who gets to read the next one first! Of course as the little one I lost that fight and had to make sure to keep the pages in order that had fallen out ... :roll:

Anyone of you guys read Elenium? I rather enjoyed that one too.

Now, when you say the Belgariad, you mean the Malloreon too, right? :D
...and then the three one-offs about Polgara and Belgarath and the other one I can't remember?

I enjoyed the Elenium and Tamuli; about the only thing I didn't get into was the Dreamers series.

I read The Redemption of Althalus until it fell apart as well.

I even read some of his non-fantasy stuff! (High Hunt, Losers)

OK, I have to see what languages translations of these are available in...
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I only read Belgariad, Malloreon and Elenium, as well as one of those additional ones. I didn't really get into any of the other stuff, but my dad has read it all and several times. He used to be really obsessed with this stuff!

And they should be available in several languages, it was really popular. German and Russian for sure.
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Hundetier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Deutsch, English, Español
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4873

Postby Hundetier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:29 pm

blaurebell wrote:Anyone of you guys read Elenium? I rather enjoyed that one too.
Me too.
Systematiker wrote:...and then the three one-offs about Polgara and Belgarath and the other one I can't remember
The last one is called "Riva Kodex" if I remember correctly. I didn't like this last trilogy, just as I did't get along with Tamuli; but I read Belgarath, Malloreon and Elenium with pleasure.

If you want to do a reread together - I am in :mrgreen: . Perhaps there is a Spanish translation, then I would try to get that and read parallel with my books; or I could go for the original version (this should be available for my kindle).
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Hundetier wrote:If you want to do a reread together - I am in . Perhaps there is a Spanish translation, then I would try to get that and read parallel with my books; or I could go for the original version (this should be available for my kindle).

Oh, that would be cool! If you give me a couple of weeks I'll be up to speed with my reading in Russian, then we can start together, multilanguage of course! Here is the Spanish translation: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/255 ... a_profec_a
I'm pretty sure you can find that as an epub for your kindle too! Paperbacks seem largely out of print.

@Systematiker: Are you in too? Take your pick with the language, it seems to have oodles of translations: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editions ... f-prophecy
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:14 am

I'm in, I sourced the series in both Spanish and French today (man scribd is useful in the USA) and actually started the first one over lunch.

I may switch languages throughout reading them, and/or read them multiple times, I'm excited about returning to them. Maybe by book five I'll be able to read in Russian :lol:
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:06 pm

Systematiker wrote:I'm in, I sourced the series in both Spanish and French today (man scribd is useful in the USA) and actually started the first one over lunch.

That's cool! Have you seen audiobooks of these anywhere in French or Russian? Sourcing the Russian translation was super easy as always, but it would be really cool to have some audio too. Not sure any of that was ever even produced. Hmm.

Systematiker wrote:Maybe by book five I'll be able to read in Russian

That's definitely my plan! With French I did the Super Challenge basically from barely being able to decipher sentences with a dictionary and then plodded along until the end of Harry Potter. The first Harry Potter took me 4 weeks, the second only one week, by the fourth it was almost extensive reading.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:29 pm

blaurebell wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I'm in, I sourced the series in both Spanish and French today (man scribd is useful in the USA) and actually started the first one over lunch.

That's cool! Have you seen audiobooks of these anywhere in French or Russian? Sourcing the Russian translation was super easy as always, but it would be really cool to have some audio too. Not sure any of that was ever even produced. Hmm.

Systematiker wrote:Maybe by book five I'll be able to read in Russian

That's definitely my plan! With French I did the Super Challenge basically from barely being able to decipher sentences with a dictionary and then plodded along until the end of Harry Potter. The first Harry Potter took me 4 weeks, the second only one week, by the fourth it was almost extensive reading.

I haven't seen audiobooks, but I haven't really looked, either. I'll dig around when I get a chance.

Now I've just got to find them in Russian, and get my Russian where I can read them...you use LWT, right?
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Systematiker wrote:Now I've just got to find them in Russian, and get my Russian where I can read them...you use LWT, right?

Yes, I'm a big fan of LWT! Without it my French would be just as much of a mess as my Spanish. I've got way more precision in my French now.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

French

The other day I finished listening to the audiobook of Le Tour du monde en 80 jours, which was very enjoyable. The only thing I didn't understand was of course all the ship related vocabulary. I was never really into reading about pirates or stuff like that, so I don't know that vocabulary in any language. I once started reading Moby Dick and it was so full of boat crap that I got really bored. Besides - the damn whale doesn't even appear until halfway into the brick! Le Tour du monde has fairly little boat vocabulary in comparison and it got universally translated as "boat crap" in my mind. Didn't lose anything important there. The pretend yankee accent during the bits in the US made me chuckle a lot. Also, there was lots of guessing involved with this French speaker attempting to pronounce US city names. Other than that I didn't have any problems with this one.

With that I am now 800 pages into my audiobook challenge. I want to listen to 5000 pages worth of those, mostly classics I think. Next up is La guerre du feu. I watched the movie a few months back and that's definitely the best French movie for beginners, no spoken French at all :lol: So, better read the book to make up for the easy watching experience! I actually found it in book form in one of the local second hand bookstores - we live close to the French border and I can always pick up cheap used French books for like 2-3€ a piece, very convenient. I could read that one, but I'm on a good run with the audiobooks. Besides, I can listen to those while I'm doing other things.

Russian

The last couple of days I was playing with my new Russian camera, but of course that doesn't really count. I called her "Horizontka" by the way - I always name my photography gear, I'm weird like that. So, although I was a bit busy with test rolls and being out shooting, I still managed to do my Assimil and Duolingo. I didn't really make much progress with my intensive reading though. There is still something good to report though: My mum asked me to read something out loud for her in Russian to see how I'm progressing and she was very happy. Apparently I read better than my brother now and I don't have a bad accent at all she say's. I do have one, of course, but she had no problems understanding me. So, my Assimil shadowing has sorted out my accent! We tried the same thing on my last attempt with Russian and she couldn't understand a word I was saying. So, a big yay for Assimil and shadowing!
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 pm

blaurebell wrote: The only thing I didn't understand was of course all the ship related vocabulary. I was never really into reading about pirates or stuff like that, so I don't know that vocabulary in any language. I once started reading Moby Dick and it was so full of boat crap that I got really bored. Besides - the damn whale doesn't even appear until halfway into the brick! Le Tour du monde has fairly little boat vocabulary in comparison and it got universally translated as "boat crap" in my mind. Didn't lose anything important there.
I'm looking forward to reading the Hornblower books in french, and now I'm curious how all that 'boat crap' will be translated. :-)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”