Lilly's log - French, Russian, Spanish and Italian

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Lilly's log - French, Russian and Spanish

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:14 am

Teango wrote:I like it...thinking three level bosses ahead. Давай, буду за тебя болеть! (Go for it, I'll be rooting for you!) 8-)

Thanks :) And you totally caught my drift! Now I'm trying to imagine what the Russian level boss would look like :lol:
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:58 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't touch bluetooth headphones with a ten foot pole. I do use bluetooth from time to time, but I no longer use headphones, too close to the brain for my liking.
Wi-FI / Bluetooth / DECT : pourquoi c'est dangereux ? - désactiver le Wi-fi et informer vos voisins par une affichette

In Europe there is no way to escape the signal, because it's too overpopulated. I live in an apartment building and right now I'm flooded by 13 wifi networks, 7 of them at full strength. One device more or less won't make a difference at all in the grand scheme of things. And if I can't escape the signal anyway, I might as well use it!

Besides, I haven't been afraid of imaginary/potential threats for a long time now. That's one advantage of having at least 2 very real diseases already: you stop worrying about all the other shit that might also happen, because chances are that things can't get much worse than they already are. Looking at this data it seems to me that they are most afraid of cancer. To be perfectly honest with you, at least cancer is quick and dirty, very much unlike my projected 20+ years of chronic pain :roll:

Thanks for the concern though!
5 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Spanish

Yesterday and today it was time for my doctor's appointments again and this now means that I get 30-40min Spanish speaking practice. Today we were talking about accents and my doctor noted that I speak with an Argentinian accent. I forget where he is from precisely because his own accent is now somewhere between Latin american and Spanish. He uses Spanish expressions like "venga", but apart from that he doesn't have the pronunciation particularities common around here. It was a fun conversation and we were trading notes about all the different words that don't make sense here and the expressions that are more common over there, voseo, malas palabras, that sort of thing. My speaking is becoming somewhat more fluent now although I still draw blanks on certain expressions sometimes. Definitely going in the right direction. I notice that I now make less mistakes when I'm speaking, but that there are still uncertainties about different grammatical concepts. I think I made a present tense subjunctive mistake today, but can't be sure, because I haven't yet gone over the subjunctive again in my grammar mission.

Also big on my schedule: La venganza será terrible! I listened to 2 programs yesterday and today, chuckling to myself in the street. People were definitely looking at me strangely :D It's so funny though! And since it's all like a relaxed conversation I'm already in the right mood when I reach the doctor's office after listening to venganza. And apparently my Argentinian accent is getting more pronounced too :lol: By the way, it's very rare to hear foreigners around here speak with anything but the imitation of the local accent. I think working to make my Argentinian accent even more pronounced could be a trick to pass for native eventually, at least outside of Argentina :D

French

More Le Monde d'Edena and more Les chiens et les loups, but I find it always difficult not to get restless when I have to be places at some point during the day. I definitely should have read more the last couple of days, but didn't because I had to go out. Tonight I'll finish Le Monde d'Edena and then I'll have reached 10,000 pages in French!

Russian

I managed exactly 11min of reading in Russian before my mum called. The usual worrying about family members, discussions about matters of hospitality - gifts for my in-laws - and similar things made it a thoroughly Russian experience, but alas, all in German! I can't wait until we can finally speak in Russian!
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:33 pm

blaurebell wrote:Spanish
French

More Le Monde d'Edena and more Les chiens et les loups, but I find it always difficult not to get restless when I have to be places at some point during the day. I definitely should have read more the last couple of days, but didn't because I had to go out. Tonight I'll finish Le Monde d'Edena and then I'll have reached 10,000 pages in French!

:D Felicitations ! :D
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:51 pm

blaurebell wrote:I think working to make my Argentinian accent even more pronounced could be a trick to pass for native eventually, at least outside of Argentina :D

This totally works - Swabian patterns in Bavaria covered the last bits of my accent there ("Der..., wo..." works to pass just about anywhere :lol: ), and when we visited family, I just mixed in some Bavarian. Sometimes even people I'd met before would forget I was American.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:07 pm

tomgosse wrote: :D Felicitations ! :D

Merci beaucoup :D

Systematiker wrote:
blaurebell wrote:I think working to make my Argentinian accent even more pronounced could be a trick to pass for native eventually, at least outside of Argentina :D

This totally works - Swabian patterns in Bavaria covered the last bits of my accent there ("Der..., wo..." works to pass just about anywhere :lol: ), and when we visited family, I just mixed in some Bavarian. Sometimes even people I'd met before would forget I was American.

Ah, good to know that you've tried it and it works! I already got myself some Argentinian audio for shadowing and will try to make a homemade Glossika from Inés Efron movies too!
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 pm

blaurebell wrote:
In Europe there is no way to escape the signal, because it's too overpopulated. I live in an apartment building and right now I'm flooded by 13 wifi networks, 7 of them at full strength. One device more or less won't make a difference at all in the grand scheme of things. And if I can't escape the signal anyway, I might as well use it!

(Just because I can't help myself) The strength of an electromagnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning as you get further from the source, the strength drops off rapidly. The perceived issue comes from the fact that the antenna is so close to the head, you would potentially be absorbing all the electromagnetic radiation emitted in the direction of your head. Fortunately, electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than about 750THz are too long knock around electrons and cause damage in the body. The only biological effect of this longer wavelength radiation (electricity from the wall, radio broadcast,wifi, radar, visible light, in that order) is heating. If you pumped a ton of power into a longer wavelength emitter you could potentially cook yourself, but it would be an ordinary kind if heat like a hot bath or being under too many blankets, and you'd certainly feel it before you fried your brain like an egg. The wavelength of wi-fi is around 2.5gHz. Lightbulbs have wavelengths up to about 700 THz, so technically your light bulbs are much closer to giving you cancer than your neighbor's wi-fi.
6 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:59 pm

Ani wrote:(Just because I can't help myself) The strength of an electromagnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning as you get further from the source, the strength drops off rapidly. The perceived issue comes from the fact that the antenna is so close to the head, you would potentially be absorbing all the electromagnetic radiation emitted in the direction of your head. Fortunately, electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than about 750THz are too long knock around electrons and cause damage in the body. The only biological effect of this longer wavelength radiation (electricity from the wall, radio broadcast,wifi, radar, visible light, in that order) is heating. If you pumped a ton of power into a longer wavelength emitter you could potentially cook yourself, but it would be an ordinary kind if heat like a hot bath or being under too many blankets, and you'd certainly feel it before you fried your brain like an egg. The wavelength of wi-fi is around 2.5gHz. Lightbulbs have wavelengths up to about 700 THz, so technically your light bulbs are much closer to giving you cancer than your neighbor's wi-fi.

Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated! You see, I know more about how to set up a wifi than about how all that physics stuff actually works! I'm more of a virtual person. That said, I once had an office right above a big ass generator for an entire industrial complex. When I entered the office I often had a sudden sense of vertigo because the magnetic field of the beast was so strong that it messed with my inner ear. I would guess that this can't be healthy in the long run, right?
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Ani wrote:
blaurebell wrote:

(Just because I can't help myself) The strength of an electromagnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance, meaning as you get further from the source, the strength drops off rapidly. The perceived issue comes from the fact that the antenna is so close to the head, you would potentially be absorbing all the electromagnetic radiation emitted in the direction of your head. Fortunately, electromagnetic radiation with longer wavelengths than about 750THz are too long knock around electrons and cause damage in the body. The only biological effect of this longer wavelength radiation (electricity from the wall, radio broadcast,wifi, radar, visible light, in that order) is heating. If you pumped a ton of power into a longer wavelength emitter you could potentially cook yourself, but it would be an ordinary kind if heat like a hot bath or being under too many blankets, and you'd certainly feel it before you fried your brain like an egg. The wavelength of wi-fi is around 2.5gHz. Lightbulbs have wavelengths up to about 700 THz, so technically your light bulbs are much closer to giving you cancer than your neighbor's wi-fi.

In terms of bluetooth and either power levels or generated heat, i'm of no concern. The industry tests mainly against heat. However long-term effects and rapid low energy pulses are disuptive to cell function and according to some, bluetooth headsets pose more of a threat to health than a mobile/cell phone next to your head. The industry does not test for this. There are decent articles on the topic with input from well respected experts. Here's a small example from my little search with little time, where the biological effects are discussed.

Quote:
"But the power levels themselves are not the issue it’s the rate of change of the EMF’s, the pulsing, that causes most of the biological damage. Bluetooth radiation is dangerous."
From: http://inflanation.com/cell-phone-radiation/bluetooth-radiation-may-be-more-dangerous-than-cell-phone-radiation-2/?_ga=2.246221508.1708966736.1498773792-1444518080.1498773792

In general, this is a great resource on EMF effects:
Bioinitiative (report) 2012

Edit (background on above report- not necessarily about bluetooth but about EMF radiation of various types)
"Today, the BioInitiative 2012 Report updates five years of science, public health, public policy and global response to the growing health issue of chronic exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation in the daily life of billions of people around the world.

The BioInitiative 2012 Report has been prepared by 29 authors from ten countries*, ten holding medical degrees (MDs), 21 PhDs, and three MsC, MA or MPHs. Among the authors are three former presidents of the Bioelectromagnetics Society, and five full members of BEMS. One distinguished author is the Chair of the Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation. Another is a Senior Advisor to the European Environmental Agency. As in 2007, each author is responsible for their own chapter.

The great strength of the BioInitiative Report (http://www.bioinitiative.org) is that it has been done independent of governments, existing bodies and industry professional societies that have clung to old standards. Precisely because of this, the BioInitiative Report presents a solid scientific and public health policy assessment that is evidence-based."
From: http://www.globalresearch.ca/cell-phones-wifi-devices-hotspots-smart-meters-the-health-impacts-of-low-intensity-electromagnetic-radiation/5535780
----------------------------------
So make up your own mind about EMF and bluetooth. I still use some bluetooth but chose to stop using the headsets. I just wanted to share some indepent views which are often contrary to industry sponsored research.
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:17 am

blaurebell wrote:
Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated! You see, I know more about how to set up a wifi than about how all that physics stuff actually works! I'm more of a virtual person. That said, I once had an office right above a big ass generator for an entire industrial complex. When I entered the office I often had a sudden sense of vertigo because the magnetic field of the beast was so strong that it messed with my inner ear. I would guess that this can't be healthy in the long run, right?

I don't know a lot about what comes out of a generator like that. It's very likely there was a very loud low frequency sound that could have disrupted your inner ear and contributed to nausea, but there would also have been some magnetic field, which I totally believe you can be sensitive to. Really really high standing magnetic fields are a problem after a certain point. I couldn't remember how high so I checked the internet which says 4T (tesla). That's crazy high -- like higher than an MRI which can rip chunks of metal out of flesh and do other crazy tricks. Under that amount and cells behave as normal.
PeterMollenburg wrote:
In terms of bluetooth and either power levels or generated heat, i'm of no concern. The industry tests mainly against heat. However long-term effects and rapid low energy pulses are disuptive to cell function and according to some, bluetooth headsets pose more of a threat to health than a mobile/cell phone next to your head. The industry does not test for this. There are decent articles on the topic with input from well respected experts. Here's a small example from my little search with little time, where the biological effects are discussed.

Quote:
"But the power levels themselves are not the issue it’s the rate of change of the EMF’s, the pulsing, that causes most of the biological damage. Bluetooth radiation is dangerous."
From: http://inflanation.com/cell-phone-radiation/bluetooth-radiation-may-be-more-dangerous-than-cell-phone-radiation-2/?_ga=2.246221508.1708966736.1498773792-1444518080.1498773792

In general, this is a great resource on EMF effects:
Bioinitiative (report) 2012

Edit (background on above report- not necessarily about bluetooth but about EMF radiation of various types)
"Today, the BioInitiative 2012 Report updates five years of science, public health, public policy and global response to the growing health issue of chronic exposure to electromagnetic fields and radiofrequency radiation in the daily life of billions of people around the world.

The BioInitiative 2012 Report has been prepared by 29 authors from ten countries*, ten holding medical degrees (MDs), 21 PhDs, and three MsC, MA or MPHs. Among the authors are three former presidents of the Bioelectromagnetics Society, and five full members of BEMS. One distinguished author is the Chair of the Russian National Committee on Non-Ionizing Radiation. Another is a Senior Advisor to the European Environmental Agency. As in 2007, each author is responsible for their own chapter.

The great strength of the BioInitiative Report (http://www.bioinitiative.org) is that it has been done independent of governments, existing bodies and industry professional societies that have clung to old standards. Precisely because of this, the BioInitiative Report presents a solid scientific and public health policy assessment that is evidence-based."
From: http://www.globalresearch.ca/cell-phones-wifi-devices-hotspots-smart-meters-the-health-impacts-of-low-intensity-electromagnetic-radiation/5535780
----------------------------------
So make up your own mind about EMF and bluetooth. I still use some bluetooth but chose to stop using the headsets. I just wanted to share some indepent views which are often contrary to industry sponsored research.

So, here I know we run up against your world view which is different from my own and I totally respect that. I have to disagree though that there is ANY "industry sponsored research" mixed in with the fundamentals of physics.
The electricity that comes out of the wall is the exact same thing as visible light, the same as microwaves, xrays and gamma radiation and your Wi-Fi and bluetooth. The only difference is their frequency of oscillation. Electromagnetic waves are defined by the electric field (E) and the magnetic field (B) and nothing else.. There is nothing else there. E and B are perpendicular to each other and both are perpendicular to the direction the waves are traveling. Bluetooth uses both frequency and pulse modulation, but those are just a modification of the wave WITHIN the 2.4gHz band.
I know it is easy to want to "avoid" EMF like it is some dangerous other thing, but it is literally all around you on the natural world. You can't avoid it even if there weren't electronic devices. Really really old photons from the first seconds of the universe are hitting us all the time in the form of cosmic background radiation.You wouldn't want to avoid it. Our bodies are emitters, your brain has a measurable magnetic field. Yes 10% of what comes out of the sun will kill us, but without it we die. Or rather life never happens in the first place -- it's really cold out there without EMF!
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”