Ketutar and languages

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: Ketutar and languages

Postby CarlyD » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:22 am

I just wanted to say thanks for that post in your blog about the Leitner flashcard system. I've been trying and failing with other paper flashcard systems and this one finally makes perfect sense for me. :D
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Postby Ketutar » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:06 pm

Not doing anything with French today. FM is flaming, not the worst possible - as proven by me being here - but writing this makes my fingers hurt. :-D
No, it's not funny, it's absurd. FM is absurd. It's ridiculously stupid. It's insane, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry, and it's better to laugh. So I laugh when I can, because there will be the time I can't do anything but lie down, whimper and wait for it to pass...
1 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:37 am

Oh damn, sorry to hear that your FM is flaring. Chronic pain is awful and it's so hard to concentrate with it. I'm in the same boat, although mine is not FM. I hope you get better soon! Btw for my pain I found the most effective treatment to be acupuncture. I'd go in there with evil pains barely able to walk and come out pain-free. Pricey, but it got me out of a really bad flare at the end of last year.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Just found my old forum log at http://www.fluentin3months.com/forum/my-language-mission/52-in-52/

I'm feeling OK right now, and should get back in saddle, but... uh... I'm feeling lazy. I got too many "bad" ideas when I had to... so the "curse of three" hit me. I want to go back to "52 in 52". But I don't want to "give up" either...

I also noted that it was 200 words in 2 hours, not 100 words... Hmm...

Luca says that one could do 2 languages at the same time... So I could do 52 in 52 AND French...

But it's 6WC. I haven't been logging in much the last days.
It should be enough if I keep up with the Super Challenge and read 20 pages every day and watch 1-2 hours.
I started reading Agatha Christie. I find it easy enough to read...
But I want to do the 5000 words, too.
Hmmm...

Choices, choices...
0 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:36 pm

Glad you're feeling better! Wanderlust got you? Luckily that never hits me, because I only have a couple more languages I would like to learn after French: Russian and Japanese. I had trouble deciding which language to learn first, so I picked the easier one after already failing once with Russian. And now I'm challenging myself to stick with the French for at least a year to see where it gets me. Only then am I allowed to move on. My mum just sent me some resources for learning Russian. I'm unfazed by them, since I've vowed to learn Russian from French when I'm done! Still a long way to go until I can pull that one off :) Maybe a strategy to consider for you though? Could you learn a new language from French? I think then it would still count as doing French too!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:02 pm

blaurebell wrote:Could you learn a new language from French? I think then it would still count as doing French too!

LOL Wicked!
0 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

I just felt for a pause, came here, read some posts, and 7 hours later...
Pinterest happened. :o :lol:
1 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:43 am

I'm too lazy to get my notebook, so I'm writing here :-)

Started the day by reading Agatha Christie.
I was inspired by Blaurebel, and took a passage to LWT

avoir trait à
Avoir un rapport avec, être en rapport avec, avoir un lien avec, traiter de.

Clair comme de l'eau de roche

En ancien français, le mot "roche" signifiait "cave". L'"eau de roche" était en fait l'eau de source, réputée pour sa limpidité et sa transparence. C'est sur ces caractéristiques qu'est née l'expression "clair comme de l'eau de roche" que l'on utilise pour dire qu'un acte ou une parole est "transparente", c'est-à-dire lorsque sa signification est évidente

---- Funny, that: L'"eau de roche" - not "l'eau de roche" :-D

"Elle prouve bien que ma pauvre vieille amie avait compris qu'on s'était fichu d'elle"

fichu
- Qui est mal tourné, déplaisant, fâcheux, critique.
- Qui est perdu, car hors d’usage, cassé, ruiné.
- Capable de quelque chose.

WordReference forum:
"Tu n'es même pas fichu de ramasser tes vêtements" - "You can't even be bothered to pick up your clothes"

So, baiscally, the poor old friend understood she was being had.

Interesting word, that.

"lit remarquer le coroner"
lit remarquer? Read remark? Huh?
I googled that.
Found results. All from old facsimile books at Google Books, and in every one of them it was FIT remarquer. Apparently the scanner couldn't separate fit and lit. *sigh*
"fit remarquer" I understand. No problems there.

esquiver

From Middle French esquiver ‎(“to escape”), from Spanish esquivar ‎(“to avoid, reject, elude”), from Spanish esquivo ‎(“contemptuous, loathsome”), itself from Old French eschiver of East Germanic origin, from Gothic ‎(skiuhs, “afraid, barefaced”), from Proto-Germanic *skiuhaz ‎(“afraid, frightened”). Cognate with French échiffe and Italian schivo from the same Germanic source. More at shy, eschew.

----- Huh. So "shy" comes from Gothic and means "scared"
------ In Swedish "shy" is "skygg" and there's a verb "sky", which means more "to shun" than "to shy"...
------ Perhaps the verb "to shy" is always with the adverb "away"?

avoir du mal à - have a hard time to

Dissimuler qqc. ou qqn.
Cacher pour autrui, autant que faire se peut, par un moyen approprié.

Funny, I have never thought of faking as "not-simulating" or "opposite of simulating"... making something look "not the same" :-D
Fully logical, but funny.

In Finnish "to simulate" is "jäljitellä, mallintaa" - basically "do after" "follow the lead" or "copy a sample", and the idea of reversing this as implied by the "dis-"... it just doesn't make any sense.

méprisant - mépris - mépriser
mis-preciate - to hate, scorn, disdain, despise

papotage, papoter - to chat, talk, gossip
2 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt

Postby Ketutar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Plää!

I'm wanderlusting and part of that is that I decided to write Swadesh lists of Finnic languages on Memrise... :roll:
I started with Finnish, and... I suppose it's Murphy's Law in action - I wrote the whole dang list in wrong order - that is - the word to be learned in English, and not in Finnish, and the definition in Finnish, not in English. So I need to redo all that...
I noticed it when I started writing in the Estonian words... and it wasn't in the order I wrote my Finnish words in... :twisted: I kept thinking if they changed that since I last was there, and then I started to wonder... and went back, and, voilà! It wasn't Memrise. It was me. :oops:

I am also noticing even more "confusion" of my languages. I'm not sure of the word order. I don't know what language I am writing using English words. I suppose it is comprehensible, but I'm pretty sure it's not good English. :D

P.S. Interesting things one learns from Swadesh lists.
In Estonian the word for fish scales is the same as for an armor.
1 x

Lumilintu
White Belt
Languages: German, Estonian, English, Finnish, Hungarian

Postby Lumilintu » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:58 am

Ketutar wrote:P.S. Interesting things one learns from Swadesh lists.
In Estonian the word for fish scales is the same as for an armor.

You mean soomus? That's interesting, I never thought about that myself. I guess it just seemed natural to me, as soomus in general refers to something protective. The fish scales protect the fish the same way an armor can protect man. :D Does the Finnish equivalent (suomu?) only mean fish scales?
What other Finnic languages did you include in that Swadesh list?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”