ShawnP's Spanish Adventure

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: ShawnP's Spanish Adventure

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:10 pm

Good luck hunting mule deer!
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Postby ShawnP » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:53 pm

Well, as suspected, I got zero spanish in this past week. Monday-Friday consisted of 4am wakeups for breakfast and then hunting all day and bedtime came around 9pm. On a positive note, I bagged a huge mule deer stag (which is fairly rare) on Veterans Day that will be headed to the taxidermist. Saturday consisted of traveling from northern New Mexico to Florida and today (Sunday) is consisting on doing laundry and getting ready for work Monday morning. I'm hoping to get into the groove tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
GERMAN GOALS

: 21 / 100 Assimil German
: 03 / 100 100 Hours Visual - YouTube videos/TV

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:41 pm

Definitely a beauty. Nicely done.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Not my best week for spanish study. Only logged about 2 hours worth of podcasts and maybe 2 hours of spanish on Youtube, although I didn't add the video time to my language log just yet. I'm currently watching Easy Spanish on YouTube and will log those times when I get done with the current playlist I'm on. Currently on video number 20 out of 51. Once I finish all 51, I'll add up the time I've spent on that playlist and add to my language log. Easy Spanish isn't really all that easy but not too difficult either.

With Thanksgiving this week and me headed back home on Wed-Saturday, I doubt I'll get too much input in other than the four hour drive each way to visit family. Upon returning, I'll do my best to step it up a bit to how I was before my New Mexico hunting trip.
2 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:30 am

Not a whole lot to add for this last week, considering I was back home around family the last five days. The only good thing about long drives to visit people is the time to listen to podcasts. I logged in around 5 hours of CHARLAS HISPANAS and LEARN SPANISH & GO podcasts. Not as much as I'd like but it was better than nothing.

Last week I decided to scrap my reading plan of reading 15 books in spanish between now and the end of 2023. I do enjoy reading somewhat and thats not a ton of work, but my goal is to be able to understand when people are speaking to me as well as speak to other people in L2. Therefore, my goal between now and the end of 2023 will be listening and speaking. I do believe reading is great for learning new words, but I personally feel listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos/telenovelas, and perhaps working with a tutor on italki or somewhere would be most beneficial.

If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know. I'd consider many of ya'll the experts.
5 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:53 am

Its been two weeks since my last post. Nothing new has changed in my strategy of listening to podcasts from Charlas Hispanas and Learn Spanish & Go as well as watching videos on YouTube from EasySpanish. Of course, not all videos are easy at all. I think they have videos for learners from Beginner to Advanced. There is a big difference from textbook spanish and everyday spoken spanish on the streets. I'd highly recommend them to those that need more exposure to spanish outside of Assimil, FSI, or another program.

Listening to podcasts and finding interesting YouTube videos in spanish will be the plan for the next couple of months, especially since all the ones I've been watching have subtitles in English. I think this will be most beneficial before trying to tackle a bunch of telenovelas.
4 x
GERMAN GOALS

Monk
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (~A1), Hebrew (beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18728

Postby Monk » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:25 am

ShawnP wrote:I do believe reading is great for learning new words, but I personally feel listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos/telenovelas, and perhaps working with a tutor on italki or somewhere would be most beneficial.

I'm a beginner in Spanish. I probably only have about a 1000 to 1500 word vocabulary at this point. Having said that, I started scheduling short (30 minute) italki sessions back in October. I've been doing them twice a month. Every other Sunday. I've found them to be quite beneficial. It really stretches me to try to speak the language for 30 minutes in a (mostly) unscripted way. I say "mostly" unscripted because I do spend time ahead of the sessions writing out things related to what I want to talk about for the upcoming session and practicing new words, phrases, and things like tenses I might not be familiar with.

If you find a tutor that matches your style and personality, and you know ahead of time what you want to get out of the sessions (e.g. conversation practice or something more structured like formal lessons?), it can really be super helpful. I encourage you to check it out if you haven't done it before.

Another bonus for me is that it actually helped me to get over the fear and embarrassment of speaking. It's given me more confidence, even at this beginner level. So that I image as my vocabulary grows, and I learn more grammar, it will be all the more easier to have spontaneous conversations.
2 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:40 am

A fairly decent week has come to a close. Not my best week but not the worst. Still continuing to listen to podcasts from Learn Spanish and Go and Charlas Hispanas. I did get in some YouTube videos from Easy Spanish as well as another channel called Spanish Around. I happen to like both YouTube channels although I'm starting to lean more toward Spanish Around, but I'm sure I'll bounce back and forth every couple of videos to change things up.

For those just starting on their Spanish journey, Spanish Around and Easy Spanish have A1-Beginner level videos. I tend to look at the title of the video, and if I think its below my level I skip it and go on to something more difficult.
4 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:28 pm

Welcome 2023. I'm hoping to improve on my input/output of the spanish language this year. Its been two weeks since my last post.

Nothing much has changed in my plan. I've cut out Charlas Hispanas in favor of Learn Spanish & Go podcast because I decided to watch more YouTube videos and telenovelas. Once I complete all the podcasts from Learn Spanish & Go, I'll go back and add Charlas Hispanas to my Ipod. I think sticking with one podcast at a time will make me push harder to complete them. Since they average 30 minutes each, I'm hoping to hit two podcasts per day for at least five days throughout the week.

Like most people with Soap Operas, I've quickly became hooked on watching Betty En NY. I will start Season 1, Episode 13 tomorrow. It's definitely a struggle but I try and understand what I can. I think this is what I really need to start doing to improve my comprehension of spoken spanish. Telenovelas and YouTube videos. I plan to eventually go back and watch Betty, La Fea sometime in the future.

If anyone knows of any easier to understand telenovelas for spanish learners, other than Destinos or Extra, please let me know.
4 x
GERMAN GOALS

stell
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (perpetual toddler), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17696

Postby stell » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:12 pm

How do you feel about dubbed series? I found that a season of dubbed Buffy the Vampire (a show that I was very familiar with in English) helped me bridge the distance between Destinos and Spanish-language television. Likewise with Italian…a few dubbed seasons of Star Trek made native content much more accessible.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”