ShawnP's Spanish Adventure

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cerebral_Arbitrage
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18782

Re: ShawnP's Spanish Adventure

Postby Cerebral_Arbitrage » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:07 pm

stell wrote:How do you feel about dubbed series? I found that a season of dubbed Buffy the Vampire (a show that I was very familiar with in English) helped me bridge the distance between Destinos and Spanish-language television. Likewise with Italian…a few dubbed seasons of Star Trek made native content much more accessible.

Hi ShawnP. I completely agree with Stell. I'm not nearly as proficient as she is, but I've found that watching the dubbed editions of Longmire and Blacklist in Spanish on Netflix has helped a lot.
1 x
365 Day Challenge: 0 / 365
PFC - Daily Vocabulary Review: 0 / 365
PFC - Read 500 pages: 0 / 500
PFC - Watch 120 hours of video: 0 / 7200

ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

Postby ShawnP » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:54 pm

stell wrote:How do you feel about dubbed series? I found that a season of dubbed Buffy the Vampire (a show that I was very familiar with in English) helped me bridge the distance between Destinos and Spanish-language television. Likewise with Italian…a few dubbed seasons of Star Trek made native content much more accessible.

Hi Stell,

I've searched for "Friends" as I heard it was dubbed in spanish. I have no problem with dubbed shows, especially with ones I'm familiar with. YouTube really is a goldmine of free material. As for Buffy, I've watched quite a few of those episodes back in the day. It was interesting to me so I'll see if I can track it down and watch an episode of two to see how I like it.
0 x
GERMAN GOALS

: 21 / 100 Assimil German
: 03 / 100 100 Hours Visual - YouTube videos/TV

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:58 pm

Cerebral_Arbitrage wrote:

Hi ShawnP. I completely agree with Stell. I'm not nearly as proficient as she is, but I've found that watching the dubbed editions of Longmire and Blacklist in Spanish on Netflix has helped a lot.

C_A,

I'll see if I can track those down on YouTube. Big fan of Longmire and Blacklist. I used to have Netflix but realized I wasn't watching it enough to keep paying for it, especially since I have Amazon Prime and plenty of spanish shows on TV, and especially since I just realized I can watch a ton of telenovelas on the Telemundo YouTube channel for free.
1 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:43 pm

Another week in the books. It's been a pretty good week. Unfortunately for me, I only logged in just over two hours of Learn Spanish & Go podcast and a couple of YouTube spanish videos. Not nearly as good as I had hoped.

In my defense, it was because I've fell into the telenovela trap called Betty En NY. These telenovelas can suck you in if you aren't careful and apparently, I wasn't. I dont watch a lot of TV, so I'm surprised how I've made it through 36 episodes this fast. I will start at Episode 37 tomorrow. I still dont understand the majority of what is being said, but I've learned enough over time that following along isn't too difficult. Hopefully by the end of the series, which is 123 episodes, my listening skills will have improved a lot more.
8 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:04 am

Another week in the books. I am both proud and not proud of myself. On one hand, I only managed to listen to one podcast for a whopping 30 minutes which is pretty pathetic. On the other hand, I somehow racked up 28 hours of the Betty En NY telenovela this week. I have come to realize that it has consumed everything else and I spend the majority of my free time sitting on my butt watching these episodes. I have got to do a better job at spacing out my TV/telenovela goals and my podcast/YouTube video goals. This telenovela is just too addictive.

This week I've watched episodes 37-76. Last week, was episodes 1-36. Doing some "close enough" math, thats around 54 hours of watching telenovelas in 2 weeks. I'm both proud of the numbers but I need to learn to scale back a bit. At this rate, I'll be done with all 123 episodes in less than two weeks.

I do realize my listening comprehension has moved up quite a bit. For any spanish learners out there that enjoy telenovelas, Betty en NY is a good one. I do plan on going back and watching Betty La Fea eventually but not right after this series ends.
4 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:23 pm

I generally try and update on Sundays but decided to take the weekend off from any spanish input.

Once again, my spanish podcasts and YouTube spanish videos were practically nonexistent. However, I made a massive push to finish up Betty En NY series and watched episodes 77-123. This telenovela had me cracking up one minute and tearing up the next. Looking back, I can't think of any time in my life where I've binge-watched nearly 90 hours of TV in a 3-week period. I still plan on continuing with another telenovela but this time will have to do it in moderation. I just need to find a good one with English subtitles. Any recommendations?

I think my plan going forward will be at least 30m-1 hour of podcasts each day, 1 telenovela episode per day, and one or two YouTube videos in spanish a day or something along those lines. This will probably be much more sustainable in the long run.
4 x
GERMAN GOALS

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:58 am

Another week down and my spanish adventure continues. Overall, my numbers are down quite a bit from each of the last three weeks because I've not binge-watched episode after episode of Betty en NY.

This week consisted of about two hours of the Spanish & Go podcast and a dozen YouTube spanish videos or so. I also started a telenovela called Corazon Valiente. It's a pretty cheezy telenovela but its much easier to follow along with than Betty en NY, although not nearly as captivating. I've completed episodes 1-6 this week.

I'm gonna keep with this same plan for now but I may see what other telenovelas are out there. I'm not sure I can get through all 206 episodes that is available to me.
3 x
GERMAN GOALS

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 am

I think the only dubbed show I've watched in Spanish was Squid Game but I can definitely vouch for it being easier to parse than native Spanish-language media. I recommend going this route as a bridge, like stll and Cerebral Arbitrage have said.

Also--noticed the Uga avatar. I live in Georgia as well and can't stand the fact that y'all have won the last two natties :lol:
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:26 pm

jmar257 wrote:

I think the only dubbed show I've watched in Spanish was Squid Game but I can definitely vouch for it being easier to parse than native Spanish-language media. I recommend going this route as a bridge, like stll and Cerebral Arbitrage have said.

Also--noticed the Uga avatar. I live in Georgia as well and can't stand the fact that y'all have won the last two natties :lol:

jmar257, I've searched around for dubbed shows on Amazon Prime, Peacock, and YouTube with little success. I'm sure I could find some on Netflix or Hulu but there are so much spanish content out there for free that I'm not sure it would be worth it to purchase a streaming service. For example, on YouTube alone, I've found 3 telemundo sites (Telemundo, Telemundo English, Telemundo Novelas.) And I guarantee there are so many more spanish channels I could find if I really started searching.

As for the Georgia Bulldogs winning, well, its about time and I'm gonna enjoy it while I can. GO DAWGS.
5 x
GERMAN GOALS

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:47 am

ShawnP wrote:
jmar257 wrote:...

jmar257, I've searched around for dubbed shows on Amazon Prime, Peacock, and YouTube with little success. I'm sure I could find some on Netflix or Hulu but there are so much spanish content out there for free that I'm not sure it would be worth it to purchase a streaming service. For example, on YouTube alone, I've found 3 telemundo sites (Telemundo, Telemundo English, Telemundo Novelas.) And I guarantee there are so many more spanish channels I could find if I really started searching.

As for the Georgia Bulldogs winning, well, its about time and I'm gonna enjoy it while I can. GO DAWGS.

I will say that Netflix is very good about having dubs/subs in many language (pretty much always Spanish) for all their own series/movies, and of course you can go the VPN route and probably access more native stuff (I've actually never tried it). So if you can find someone to split Netflix with it's probably worth the cost IMO. I don't watch a ton of TV but still have that subscription mainly because my mom uses it and I figure I at least owe her that :lol: but when I do want to watch a show, I typically go to Netflix and find a foreign one.
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Return to “Language logs”