There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby MamaPata » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 pm

I've stated this over in my 'Terrible Idea' log, but for those who don't feel like dealing with my mangled French, I have a new job! :D This is going to change a lot for me - job hunting takes so so long - and I should hopefully have more time for languages (I will have a much shorter commute, so I should have more time, but that's also when I do most of my studying so I'll need to figure myself out). It may involve some Russian, so once the DALF is over, I will need to spend the rest of the week trying to pull all of that back into my head.

I also came across this article about the average graduate salary, which might be of interest to some people. THere's been a lot of discussion about the advantages and disadvantages (in particular) about studying languages at university, so it's interesting to see some lines. Obviously, the salary is not everything and my salary is significantly below the average for Russian, but I found it intriguing. As I said on the other log, some of that is about where the courses are offered and some is about what people are likely to do with their degrees.

Okay, back to DALF revision.
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm

DALF oral exam is over! :? Not exactly my finest moment, but I should hopefully get the 5 points. And then hopefully I manage to make up the points tomorrow in the other parts of the exam.

Just ready for it to be over at this point!
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 pm

MamaPata wrote:DALF oral exam is over! :? Not exactly my finest moment, but I should hopefully get the 5 points. And then hopefully I manage to make up the points tomorrow in the other parts of the exam.

Oh you meant March as in this year. I don't why I thought you were taking the DALF in March next year. How did the DALF oral exam go? What did you have to discuss? I'm sure you did much better than you thought. Good luck for the other parts of the exam.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:39 am

Sarafina wrote:
MamaPata wrote:DALF oral exam is over! :? Not exactly my finest moment, but I should hopefully get the 5 points. And then hopefully I manage to make up the points tomorrow in the other parts of the exam.

Oh you meant March as in this year. I don't why I thought you were taking the DALF in March next year. How did the DALF oral exam go? What did you have to discuss? I'm sure you did much better than you thought. Good luck for the other parts of the exam.

Hah, fair enough! That would probably have been a lot more logical time to do it but it seemed sensible to do it immediately after the course.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 am

The DALF is done!! :D I have genuinely no idea how it went. I am hopeful that I passed but it could honestly have been anywhere from about 25 to 55 marks. (So here’s hoping it was in the high end of that). I like to think I got higher than 25 (and based on past papers I should have done) but who knows.

This week is hectic - it’s my last week at work, it was my mum’s birthday, my birthday is coming up, I have a couple of family obligations, I’m trying to prepare for the new job - but will hopefully write a longer post about my experience at the weekend.

So glad it’s done! Results in a month or so.
7 x
Corrections appreciated.

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:10 pm

MamaPata wrote:The DALF is done!! :D I have genuinely no idea how it went. I am hopeful that I passed but it could honestly have been anywhere from about 25 to 55 marks. (So here’s hoping it was in the high end of that). I like to think I got higher than 25 (and based on past papers I should have done) but who knows.

This week is hectic - it’s my last week at work, it was my mum’s birthday, my birthday is coming up, I have a couple of family obligations, I’m trying to prepare for the new job - but will hopefully write a longer post about my experience at the weekend.

So glad it’s done! Results in a month or so.

Congrats! I know it's exhausting to do the actual exam, they are tough! You did C1 right? I can't wait to hear how you did.
2 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:53 am

fingers x'd for you. I'm sure you're being far too hard on yourself & will sail through. :)
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:49 pm

Thank you both!

After the exam, this week basically didn't see much language learning. I did watch a few videos in Russian and try to get back into the swing of things, but nothing too major. (I started the series Trotskii, but ah... wow. :shock: ) But I've now left my job! It's going to be a big change and it should give me loads more time - I'm working less, my commute is shorter, I'm no longer spending hours and hours job hunting. That may not translate into more language time, but it'll hopefully help. I have a lot of non-language things that I will be working on, so we'll see how it goes. I've applied to speak at a couple of conferences, so that will take up a lot of time if I am selected (chances are slim though!).

However, it's looking pretty likely that I will be doing a Masters from October! It's a Masters in Comparative Cultural Studies, so languages will be pretty essential (specifically French, Spanish and Russian). The first term probably won't involve any languages, but second term and dissertation will. So that gives me a pretty pointed goal.

Exciting times!

[Edit: spelling]
6 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am

So I did eido's poll about my language learning and bless them, I love the fact that the lowest answer for how much do you study was 'five hours or less'. Making my language habits sound much more impressive than they are! (This is not a fault with the questionnaire, it's a totally logical way of organising the times, it just amused me based on how low my answer really is!). I do want to do more focused study - since I finished my degree, all my language learning is just native content and occasional lessons. And I definitely do see the effects. I've been speaking Russian and I can see all the mistakes, but too late to catch them. I just need to sit down and do a bit of grammar to balance me out. Native content is a fantastic tool but I need to at least glance at some other stuff.

Anyway, languages continue to be part of my life. Currently Russian has replaced French as my main focus. It's necessary for my job, so I'm scrambling to pull it back up. I've had to do some writing and I will be doing a lot of Russian for comms and the website, etc. I'll also be doing translations. It will mostly be proof-read by a native speaker before publishing, but hopefully as I go, we can reduce that. I've had two short texts checked so far and honestly, it wasn't horrific. There were a lot of corrections, but they were mostly things where my text wasn't incorrect, it just wasn't natural. So I feel okay, but definitely also a need to get back into it.

I've been reading a crappy translated detective novel that I bought cheap years ago. I know the story in English, so it's just getting me back into the swing of it. I've also finally managed to find some interesting podcasts, so when I've been through them a bit more, I'll report back. Also trying to have one lesson a week, and I've started a language exchange with the friend of one of my teachers. The lessons are an investment, but if it's gonna help my career prospects and ability to do my job, I think it's really worthwhile. (Plus, I get lessons pretty cheap). I got a library card for my old university, so now have access to tons of Russian material, which is fantastic. I also got accepted for all three of the conferences, so will need to get back into my research, which is all Russian related.

Currently French is a bit on hold. I needed a break after the DELF. But it's still very much a part of my life - I've been watching quite a few Youtube videos (I really like Elise Francisse's channel). I'll get back into reading and podcasts soon, cos I'm not too far off finishing the super challenge.

I have not done any Spanish, but it will be making a reappearance soon. (I really need to get started on the Shadow of the Wind for the forum book club). I suspect I will be doing quite a bit of Spanish and Latin American culture for my Masters, so I need to get ready for that.

A lot of Russian Youtubers I follow have been advertising the Lingoda marathon, so I decided to just do that. I have signed up for the half marathon in Spanish. (If you do the full marathon, you can get all your money back if you complete it, but for the half, you only get half your money. But I know I would never manage the full, whereas I really think I could do the half. And that still works out pretty good value. And again, it's gonna be a really good investment for my career - academic and work wise). Amusingly, I did their tests to ascertain my level for both French and Spanish and got C1 for both. French hopefully, but Spanish no way. :lol: It starts at the end of May, so I'm looking forward to it.

Otherwise, the only other language thing has been that I went to see the Polish film 'Cold War'. I was a bit unconvinced (I also went to see The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which I also found a little disappointing, so I'm feeling a bit worried about my film watching!) and I was quite surprised to see it gets rave reviews. But from a language perspective it was quite interesting. I obviously understand nothing, but with the English subtitles and my knowledge of Russian, I can match quite a lot of it back up. Without subtitles I would be lost, but it's interesting to see the overlaps. They also sang a Russian song (at least one), which I would like to look up. AMusingly, the day after I saw it, a French film blogger I follow on Twitter also posted about it, so I replied in French. I never do this, so it felt like an important move.

To think I was going to start this post "not much to say"... :roll: Such a chatterbox, online and off!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:45 pm

MamaPata wrote:
Currently French is a bit on hold. I needed a break after the DELF. But it's still very much a part of my life - I've been watching quite a few Youtube videos (I really like Elise Francisse's channel). I'll get back into reading and podcasts soon, cos I'm not too far off finishing the super challenge.
Henri Troyat wrote number of biographies of russian figures. I think his Catherine the Great one won a prize.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”