There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 pm

Austen's great - I am on the biggest Austen binge right now! :D Why don't you plan to read Emma? I quite liked Mansfield Park. The only one I haven't been able to get into is Persuasion, so I want to give that a go soon then go back to some of the others. I definitely want to read her in translation, the logic is very sound! But I do also like the precision (and snark) of the language and I'm nowhere near being able to enjoy that in any language other than English sadly.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 pm

I love Austen too and went through a phase where I read all six complete novels. Mansfield Park was not one of my favorites but Emma was my actual favorite of the six. Of course, I was primed for empathy for Emma the character having watched and loved the movie Clueless.

I have Spanish translations of Austen waiting for me to pick them as my next book. I think I'm at the point where I could appreciate the precision of language, which is such a big part of my enjoyment of Austen, but I've also never been a big re-reader. But then it's been long enough that I probably don't remember enough for it to be too much of a repeat. But also there's so many new books to read! (Welcome to my arguments with myself when I try to decide what to read. :lol: )
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 pm

Funny you should say that - Persuasion is my favourite Austen, although I've actually only read it once. It is definitely the most 'grown up' of her novels, at least of the ones I've read? The humour there is certainly not as obvious as in other works. Maybe try watching one - or both - of the films? Everytime I sit down to watch one, I end up watching both :lol: Pride and Prejudice is actually the only one I've read multiple times, which is why I was able to enjoy it. I basically have it memorised!

Emma I don't want to read because I think I'll get too much second hand embarrassment. It's even a big push for me to get myself to watch 'Clueless' for that reason!
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:11 am

Funny that you should mention films. :oops: I said something to a friend about getting back into Austen, and she created a spreadsheet with all the adaptations. This is a very slippery slope. (It's great fun, and I am loving it, but it's not great for helping me with the SC). There is definitely a Clueless rewatch somewhere in my future, because it's genius.

I definitely know what you mean about the second hand embarassment. I don't have a problem in books but it's awful in films/TV. I started rewatching the BBC P&P, and as much as I love it, the pain of watching Mrs Bennet is an issue. I do love Clueless, but definitely watch it with a friend to help you cope!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pm

MamaPata wrote:Funny that you should mention films. :oops: I said something to a friend about getting back into Austen, and she created a spreadsheet with all the adaptations. This is a very slippery slope. (It's great fun, and I am loving it, but it's not great for helping me with the SC). There is definitely a Clueless rewatch somewhere in my future, because it's genius.

I definitely know what you mean about the second hand embarassment. I don't have a problem in books but it's awful in films/TV. I started rewatching the BBC P&P, and as much as I love it, the pain of watching Mrs Bennet is an issue. I do love Clueless, but definitely watch it with a friend to help you cope!

Mrs Bennet is so painful. Even more so in the 2005 film adaptation, if I remember correctly. (I really disliked it, so only watched it once - I may well be remembering incorrectly).

I have to be able to leave the room at choice moments. I do love clueless otherwise.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:15 pm

This week has been oddly good, which is probably a sign of how hard I'm procrastinating on the things I'm really meant to be doing. Short term, a very useful strategy!

Our classes are testing my patience a little. We are still at a very basic level in our language lessons, but then we also have lectures in Russian from actual professors. So half the class is always lost to the teacher, either through incomprehension or lack of useful material. I find one of the lecturers a little tiresome, because no matter what we do, we disappoint him. If he would just lecture us, rather than berating us and then asking questions we can never answer correctly (because his expectations are so specific, rather than because of language ability), I would really like him. As it is, I find it very hard to bring myself to complete his homework as I know it will never be what he was looking for. He also spends a reasonable amount of time every week telling us we should be studying Russian, and I'm not entirely sure how much he thinks we will have improved in the previous seven days. Surely the once was enough? Okay, grumbling over! It is also worth saying that the majority of the teachers are excellent, and one of the language teachers is a godsend and I owe her a lot! She really pushes me to speak and write natural Russian and I am forever grateful to her.

Anyway, on to the actual study (I don't count my classes in these summaries)

Russian
- 12 hours of Russian (maybe I didn't do that badly last week, because this is the exact same, but it felt like a lot more this time. It was my brithday on Tuesday, so I admit, I didn't do much then, so maybe it's the cramming)
- Read: 100 pages of Tamora Pierce. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy her books.
- Watched: Летят журавли
- Wrote: 912
- Grammar: Chapters 11 and 12 of Colloquial Russian 2. Finally got somewhere with this!
- 1 italki lesson.

I am starting to feel like I am getting somewhere with Russian (although, let's be honest, this goes up and down constantly). My understanding is the best it's ever been, and when I was watching some youtube videos, I was getting the majority of what was being said. I definitely miss a lot of the detail, and I'm not at the point where I could translate what I'm hearing with any accuracy. One of my biggest problems with listening now is that I'm not sure the sense in which the person intended it - I understand what is being asked, but not really why, which I think is largely about cultural difference and will hopefully improve with time. Have other people had this experience?

My readng is getting much easier, though I'm definitely not ready for books in the original. I am planning to stick with Tamora Pierce for a bit, because I know I like and want to read her books. After another one or two, hopefully I can upgrade (or swap between that and something more highly regarded). Speaking and writing still limited, but it's getting better.

French
- 4 hours of French
- Read: 86 pages of my Philip Pullman translation.
- Watched: A few youtube videos
- 1 italki lesson

Spanish
Started FSI, which looks incredibly dull, but seems like the best way for me to inch back into Spanish. Also back on Duolingo.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Once again this wasn't an amazing week, though it was better than I expected. I have a major deadline in a fortnight and a big volunteering thing the same weekend of the deadline, so the next two weeks are fairly focused on my project. I will try and keep my languages up, but no promises! The project does involve reading in Russian and possibly rewatching some films so that should help.

Onwards!

Russian
- 11 hours of Russian
- Read: 74 pages of Tamora Pierce! Reaching the end now.
- Watched: Жил певчий дрозд
- Wrote: 432 words. Well behind where I need to be, but something is better than nothing I guess.
- Grammar: Did do a bit of work, but didn't finish anything

French
- 7 hours of French (This is going up and up!)
- Read: A chunk of one of my crappy romance novels.
- Watched: Ella Enchanted, 4 episodes of the Musketeers, 1 episode of Doctor Who

Spanish
Have been working on duolingo basically every day. It's not helping me much, but it is starting a Spanish habit so I'm happy.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:55 pm

MamaPata wrote:French
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Cavesa wrote:
MamaPata wrote:French
1 episode of Doctor Who

What is it like? I am curious.

Doctor Who in general or the French translation? I know you're a big sci-fi fan, so not quite clear! (Also, apologies for the slow reply!)
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:42 pm

As mentioned, this last week has been all about my project, but I did do slightly better than expected in some areas. This week coming is the last week before the project is due so am basically expecting to get nothing done. I am also helping out at a film festival, so that will take up a lot of time. But I am helping with a French guest, and the festival is in Russian so at least I will be practising!

Russian
- 8 hours of Russian
- Read: 111 pages of Tamora Pierce (Finished!) and 29 pages of academic articles for my project.
- Watched: Мольба
- Wrote: 1296 words. I think this is my highest so far, which is weird!
- Grammar: Chapter 13 of Colloquial Russian 2.

This was all much better than expected! It makes me feel a bit more hopeful for when I get back into Russian after next Monday!

French
- 6.5 - have been trying to prepare for this guest's visit and remember how to speak French!
- Read: A chunk of one of my crappy romance novels.
- Watched: 2 episodes of the Musketeers (I have now finished the first season and probably won't watch the second but we'll see)

Spanish
None! Am looking forward to getting back into Spanish soon, but have no spare brain cells right now.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”