There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby MamaPata » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:34 am

French Podcast List

Currently, I am listening to podcasts on my commute (which is fairly long but mostly one or two buses so pretty stable) and during my lunch break, so I thought I would share some of the things I have been enjoying. This is all French, but if anyone has any Spanish or Russian recommendations, let me know.

Mostly, I have found these because they are in the suggested section of ones I am already listening to, so they are very much on themes. This is not particularly intentional and I do want to listen to a range of subjects, so I don't end up with very strong islands. But this is a pretty successful strategy in terms of finding things, whereas a general search can be pretty bit and miss. And because I'm listening to them, they're themes I like, so not all of these will work for everyone. However, I do think there are some general crowd pleasers and I have tried to roughly group them by theme, so hopefully that will help.

There are no accents because I don't have any on my laptop and it will take too long to copy and paste. So, in no particular order:

La Vieille Branche

I've mentioned this one before - it's interviews with older people of note (I think all over 75). They're a bit longer (45mins-1hr), but they're really fascinating. They have interviewed a lot of journalists, writers, editors. They are on the quieter side, because people are interviewed in their homes and sometimes I think they're a bit far from the microphone! I really enjoy them and find them really interesting. I think the woman doing the interviews has changed in the second season. I loved the first one so much that I struggled a bit with the second but it's just because the first was excellent. She was more hands off, very softly spoken, whereas this one seems younger and a bit more present. Both are good, it was just a jump.

Regard

20ish mins. I loved Regard (I think 20 mins is the ideal length) and listened to all of them. There is only one series and it doesn't seem like they're gearing up for another, so probably listen to this and then go and listen to Entre Nos Levres. It's interviews with women, but this one focuses solely on appearance and their relationship to their bodies rather than sex/sexuality like in ENL. They had a range of women on - a trans woman, a clothes designer, two models (one plus size), an older woman (who was lovely). The woman who does it is very reserved and quiet, so it was a jump then hearing her on Entre nos levres, where that is not so much the case!

Entre nos levres

30ish mins. Two women interview other women about their relationship to sex, sexuality, their bodies, their appearance... I really like these, but I am very interested in identity and how we create our identities. They're very open and no holds barred, which might not work for some people. However, the thing I really like is that there's a lot of laughter, it just feels like listening in to a group of friends. That said, all of the trigger warnings. :( I listened to the most recent one at about 8am and it was a lot first thing in the morning.

Amusingly, the most recent (as of today) and the first one I listened to was interviewing the journalist from Regard.

Quoir

30mins ish. This is mostly an interview with an LGBT person about their identity, their life, but they also did one on IVF where they interviewed two couples in the run up to the recent court case. I have only listened to 2.5 of these and I like them, but haven't gotten into them as much as other podcasts. Would definitely recommend though.

C'est complique

10mins. These are almost too short to bother downloading and don't count for the Super Challenge. It's basically an Agony Aunt - people ring in with their problems and she gives advice. She's very nice, very clear, the advice is sensible. She also tends to recommend a film/book/piece of music at the end, which I really like. Another benefit is that she uses little clips and extracts from films/programmes on the general theme, so you get some different voices that way.

Bouffons

40mins. All about food and the sociology of food. Generally, this has two interviewees, often an academic and then someone from the food industry but it varies. Episodes I've listened to have been on Kebabs (the title of which was Kebab, le Broche en Y, which I think must be a joke but I don't get), wines, veganism, spice... They're very interesting and you get different voices. That said, while I like the guy who does them, I find he can be a bit snobby about people who don't take food seriously/like junk food/are afraid of some foods. So occasionally, I just want to tell him to calm down a little.

Casseroles

30-50mins. Pretty similar to Bouffons. I've only listened to one or two of these, but enjoyed it. I think they used to do more recipe related episodes, whereas now it's general sociological food related topics. I haven't listened to any of the recipe ones so can't comment.

Plan Culinaire

20-40mins. I love Plan Culinaire. I think this was what got me into podcasts, as I've really not liked podcasts in the past and never really listened to them. It's done by two friends, with quite different attitudes to food (so you don't get some of the judgement that you get in Bouffons). They interview a range of people, normally on a sociology/history topic (why do we queue, why do we eat at tables, the history of cereal). They use a lot of sound effects, which I quite like, and I think they have lovely accents and voices. It just feels relaxing and fun listening to them. Sadly though, it started pretty recently - I came across the very first episode a few months ago - and it's only once a month. So currently there are only four episodes. But thoroughly recommend.

A Poele

40-50mins. Interviews with chefs. Very cheerful, respectful, very nice. If you're into food/cooking, I'd recommend. I've only listened to one, but just because I got into some of the other podcasts and I prefer things around the 20min mark. I will keep listening and have one downloaded and ready to go.

Aujourd'hui l'histoire (Radio Canada)

20mins. Interviews (normally with an academic), with extracts from different programmes or interviews, around a historical topic or theme. I've listened to ones on Rocky Horror, the band Harmonium, the first Francophone Jewish school in Canada, Maureen Forrester, Moroccan independence, the Treaty of Versailles... I find them very easy to understand and a nice way of getting used to Canadian accents.

La marche de l'histoire (France Inter)

Another history podcast, around the 20 min mark. Interestingly, this one I struggled to get into and I definitely have to pay more attention than the others. I don't really listen to it when tired because I feel like I tune out, whereas others I can get more into. Some of that is just the topic - I wouldn't be able to listen to a similar English radio programme tired without tuning out a bit. Some of it is that they don't really give you an introduction - it's the cultural knowledge problem that I was talking about in my last post. They expect you to know French history and while I know the big names, I just don't have the detailed knowledge they expect. (Interestingly, I think a similar British programme would give you much more context. We're not expected to know our history/literature in the way that the French are). I've also mostly listened to colloquial French, so this is not a register I'm as familiar with. I understand fine, but it takes more effort. So this one I am trying to focus on because I know it's good for me.

I've listened to episodes on Francois Mitterand's library, the Royal Academy of Sciences (that one I listened to twice and listening to it again realised I had been paying much more attention than I thought because it was all familiar. But I think because of the context, I find it hard to summarise what was said), Joan Miro, Giscard, the Thirty Years War.

If anyone has any more recommendations of similar podcasts - a bit more of an intellectual level, rather than the pop culture I generally listen to - I think that would be good for me.

MAGMA

My favourite podcast. I am weirdly hoarding the last two episodes because I want to save them for a special moment.
30ish mins. They pick someone who was present for a historical moment (the fall of the berlin wall, a terrorist attack, the moving of the Louvre artworks during WWII etc) and interview them. One was actually on Tignes, which I have been to (and been in the region of many times). I love the interviewer, I love the premise, it feels very relaxed, I'm just generally a big fan. If anyone knows any similar podcasts, I need them.

Ones I haven't listened to but plan to

Affaires etrangeres (France Culture)
Grand reportage (RFI)
NoCine (Binge)
Un podcast a soi (Arte)
Il Faut Qu'on Parle
Bliss Stories
Chalalove
Miroir Miroir
Kiffe ta race
Splash

Wasn't a fan of

Au coeur de l'histoire (France 1) - these are just a little bit too short. I don't have enough storage space to want to download them and I wasn't terribly interested. But that's a personal choice.
Geopolitique (France Inter) - Again, not downloading things for 3 mins and don't listen when I have wifi
Les Coulisses du pouvoir (Radio Canada) - I am really interested in this, looks great. However, it's incredibly quiet and I simply could not hear it on headphones. I could try with speakers but I don't really listen to podcasts when I'm home. But yeah, can't say anything about the content because I couldn't hear it. :roll:
5 x
Corrections appreciated.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I have also been reading Mansfield Park in Spanish and got to the half way point. Whether I will continue... eh... God, Fanny and Edmund are so irritating. It's been a while since I read Mansfield Park so I don't remember how much this was true of the novel itself.

I read Mansfield Park in Russian when I was 21 or 22, and it was the most boring book I'd read ever, or it just felt like that back then. I've read the other Jane Austen's books (6 in total) and mostly I liked them, and I really like Pride and Prejudice. I remember that my main problem with Mansfield Park was that I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters, and Fanny was the most annoying one. I thought that maybe something had gotten lost in the translation or/and becuase of the cultural differences. So I've always been courious to know what the British think about the book.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 pm

aaleks wrote:
I have also been reading Mansfield Park in Spanish and got to the half way point. Whether I will continue... eh... God, Fanny and Edmund are so irritating. It's been a while since I read Mansfield Park so I don't remember how much this was true of the novel itself.

I read Mansfield Park in Russian when I was 21 or 22, and it was the most boring book I'd read ever, or it just felt like that back then. I've read the other Jane Austen's books (6 in total) and mostly I liked them, and I really like Pride and Prejudice. I remember that my main problem with Mansfield Park was that I couldn't sympathize with any of the characters, and Fanny was the most annoying one. I thought that maybe something had gotten lost in the translation or/and becuase of the cultural differences. So I've always been courious to know what the British think about the book.

Like I said, it's been a long time since I read it in English! I do think that some of the problems I am having are due to my Spanish/the translation.

But yeah, it's definitely the one of her books where the fact that it's a satire is particularly glaring!
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 pm

MamaPata wrote:
aaleks wrote:

Like I said, it's been a long time since I read it in English! I do think that some of the problems I am having are due to my Spanish/the translation.

But yeah, it's definitely the one of her books where the fact that it's a satire is particularly glaring!

I gave up on it. Wasn't a huge fan of the characters, or what was actually happening.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:08 am

:shock: When did it get to be December? I'm not ready! (Although tbh, I'm pretty ready for 2019 though).

It has been a pretty busy few weeks - I went to see my brother in Glasgow for a weekend (lovely), then went to Spain for a weekend (lovely), and I am now preparing to give a talk about Russian culture (terrifying). If anyone wants more information about that, feel free to PM me. All that has meant that there has been limited language time, though I have continued with all my watching and listening (and a little reading). I'm not really worried about any language stuff and I'm not going to make any plans or goals until 2019 - there's stuff I know I will want to change and focus on, but December is not the time.

I finished watching Glacé. As with several of the French detective shows I've watched, it started pretty well but then I think got too complicated for its own good and trailed off. I do want to start watching another show but I don't know what or when. French podcasts continue unabated though I've been pretty knackered this week and found it a lot harder to focus (though not to understand) - I fell asleep during one and just found it difficult to not start thinking about other things. This is a problem I have always had with podcasts/audiobooks but clearly it is manageable as long as I'm not too stressed/tired/don't have any big projects. The one downside of the podcasts and detective shows is that I am learning a lot of slang/swear words (did I actually need to know allumeur/allumeuse? No.). I've been trying to write a CV in French for practice and it's definitely a jump!

I'd also quite like to try some science-ish podcasts as I think that's a topic I am missing - mine are all sexuality/film/politics/history/food. Some new ones I've started listening to are: Il faut qu'on parle, RFI, NoCiné. NoCiné seems a bit faster than the others, which I like. But very colloquial.

Spanish has been going pretty well! I finished the first season of El Ministerio del Tiempo, which I am loving (and got an Anglophone friend of mine into too). I try to watch with Spanish subtitles, though often have to go back and rewatch a sequence with English subtitles because I lacked vocabulary. It's truly terrible and very predictable, but I like it a lot.
Mostly because of Irene, let's be honest.

My Spanish survived pretty well in Spain, so I was pleased. People mostly were happy to talk to me in Spanish and we understood each other, though they would sometimes switch when they heard me translating for my mum. It was also pretty fun to hear the Andalusia accent, which I'm not as used to. I've also been listening to RFI Spanish podcasts and Fuentes Confiables, both of which I like. It is much harder to make myself concentrate than it is for French podcasts, but that will come with time.

Russian... has not got a look in. It'll be back at some point.

On a sort of language related note, I've reached my 50 book challenge for the year (my classics and female authors goals I am not checking out of embarrassment). Mostly they were English, but I read 9 in Russian, 6 in French, and 2 in Spanish. (as a side note, I count crappy romance/detective novels in TLs not but not in English).

This feels like a good point to stop using Goodreads. I don't use Amazon (or AbeBooks, which annoyingly I have discovered they own) but do have a 7/8 year old kindle and I have been using Goodreads, just because all my data was on it. But I think I will now switch - I know people on the forum have recommended similar French and Russian sites, so probably one of those. I'm going to continue using the Kindle until it dies but won't buy ebooks from Amazon (which mostly I haven't been doing anyway).
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:33 pm

MamaPata wrote: I don't use Amazon (or AbeBooks, which annoyingly I have discovered they own)
Are there any book-selling websites you do recommend?
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Are we friends on goodreads? I've added some forum members but I don't remember who's who :oops:
MamaPata wrote:I think I have also had a Russian lesson since I last updated, which went well. I also added the Ship of Magic in Russian to LWT (I mentioned it a few weeks ago and having started the prologue without a dictionary, the prognosis was looking grim). I've only read the prologue, but that's all about serpent like creatures who live at the bottom of the ocean
I glanced at the post and saw "serpent lives at the bottom of the dictionary" :lol:
Дно is a really useful word btw, with several abstract meanings, the most common one being rock bottom. There are lots of memes with it :mrgreen:
I'd also quite like to try some science-ish podcasts as I think that's a topic I am missing - mine are all sexuality/film/politics/history/food
:D There are a lot of scientific aspects related to these topics :) Maybe you can start with that? :)
(as you can probably see I'm not up to date with your log, sorry :|)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:07 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
MamaPata wrote: I don't use Amazon (or AbeBooks, which annoyingly I have discovered they own)

Annoyingly, not really. A lot of sites don't let you search by language, and I mostly buy foreign language books online. I've only bought one set of books online recently and I found them on Alibris and then on Ebay. Which is a strategy.

- Alibris looks great for people that are in the US and lets you search by language, but for me meant I was going to pay ridiculous postage for stuff that was being sent to me from the UK.
- Oxfam has a pretty extensive selection (and has quite a few foreign books, entitled with 'Spanish edition', etc, so that's probably the best way to search)
- Better World Books looks good
- Someone recommended Kennys Bookstore to me, but I haven't personally tried it yet.

Ethical Consumer has some recommendations.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Serpent wrote:Are we friends on goodreads? I've added some forum members but I don't remember who's who :oops:

I think we are friends, yes. Though I have the same problem! (And got really confused recently when someone from "Real Life" added me. It also didn't help that his name was in Cyrillic and he's listed as living in Greece when he absolutely lives in London. In the end, I worked it out based on what he was reading. )

Serpent wrote:
MamaPata wrote:I think I have also had a Russian lesson since I last updated, which went well. I also added the Ship of Magic in Russian to LWT (I mentioned it a few weeks ago and having started the prologue without a dictionary, the prognosis was looking grim). I've only read the prologue, but that's all about serpent like creatures who live at the bottom of the ocean
I glanced at the post and saw "serpent lives at the bottom of the dictionary" :lol:

A very logical conclusion. :D These are the dangers of language learning, you end up literally living in the dictionary!

Serpent wrote: Дно is a really useful word btw, with several abstract meanings, the most common one being rock bottom. There are lots of memes with it :mrgreen:

Yeah, Дно has come up in a few other places, but it never really stuck until I came across it ten times in a page! Now I think I may never forget it. Hopefully anyway. The others I suspect may not stick...

Serpent wrote:
I'd also quite like to try some science-ish podcasts as I think that's a topic I am missing - mine are all sexuality/film/politics/history/food
:D There are a lot of scientific aspects related to these topics :) Maybe you can start with that? :)
(as you can probably see I'm not up to date with your log, sorry :|)

Haha, totally fair not to be up to date. I'm not very up to date with it...
Yeah, I think I do get some cultural scientific stuff from those, in addition to all the slang, but I'd really like some specifically pop-science type podcasts. We'll see if I can find any - so far when I search, the science ones tend to be pretty serious. But they're good topics - it'll keep me busy for a long time!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:16 pm

MamaPata wrote:
DaveAgain wrote:

Annoyingly, not really. A lot of sites don't let you search by language, and I mostly buy foreign language books online. I've only bought one set of books online recently and I found them on Alibris and then on Ebay. Which is a strategy.

- Alibris looks great for people that are in the US and lets you search by language, but for me meant I was going to pay ridiculous postage for stuff that was being sent to me from the UK.
- Oxfam has a pretty extensive selection (and has quite a few foreign books, entitled with 'Spanish edition', etc, so that's probably the best way to search)
- Better World Books looks good
- Someone recommended Kennys Bookstore to me, but I haven't personally tried it yet.

Ethical Consumer has some recommendations.
There were some suggestions for (non-uk) websites on the Online Book Shopping - The Frog and the Scorpion thread, and I've just been browsing the Online bookstores and book search engines thread [NB Priceminster, mentioned for french books, seems to have changed name/ownership to Rakuten].

I tend to buy 2nd hand books via Amazon UK, but I am looking around for alternatives.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”