There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: There are worse things I could do... (FR, RU, ES)

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 am

Well, first weekly summary of the year! It's been a pretty quiet week - I had a little bit of work, but mostly I'm just getting ready for the start of term. I'm feeling pretty good - I'm not completely on top of things, but everything is in a decent place, I'm happy with it. I've got some really interesting modules this term, so that should be better than last term. And generally, there's just more going on. This is kind of the start of the end though. :o

Russian
- Hours: 6.
- Read: Nothing much. An article here or there.
- Wrote: 1701 words - the Output Challenge is off to a good start! It definitely won't continue this well, but it's been nice to try and get in the habit of it. How do you guys decide what to write though?! I basically always end up writing book or film summaries, which is useful, but it's the same kind of thing every time! I always end up staring at the page, trying to figure out what to talk about.

- Watched: Земля. (Silent). I can see why people love Dovzhenko and there is some lovely filmmaking, but he just doesn't work for me at all.
Однажды двадцать лет спустя.
I weirdly loved this, I thought it was very sweet and funny at times. Is it basically a glorification of motherhood? Yes, but a very nice one. If you're looking for something light and cheerful, I'd defintely recommend it.

Школьный вальс
So this is the second Liubimov film I watched (after Women), and again, the moralising just leaves me cold. I actually prefered Women, because in spite of the moralising all the characters felt more fleshed out and they made a range of choices, good and bad. I just didn't really feel a connection to any of these characters, or that I knew anything about their motivations. However the protagonist is gorgeous.

The last time I tracked what I was watching was a while ago, so here is a potted summary of the few weeks between then and Jan: Русалка (2007) (this is adorable and hilarious, I would absolutely recommend it. It's sort of a kind of magic realism in a way, but if that's not your thing, you could also see it as being in the protagonist's head? The characters are all really well done, just stopping short of being stereotypes. Mostly though, it's just really funny). I watched a bunch of silent films, which I won't list, but if you're interested in that, let me know.
I also watched Случайная встреча, which is one of the most obvious propaganda films I've seen - nice strong Soviet worker overfills her quotas, has a baby, wins the record for the 400m. It's cute, but not brilliant.
Женщины - I thought this was good, but incredibly moralising about women's choices, which just left me cold. There are some beautiful scenes and the acting is excellent, but I could have done with less judgement/punishment for some of the characters.

French
- Hours: 4.5
- Watched: Several episodes of Ainsi-soient ils. I only really started this because I'd seen it recommended here on the forum, and I'm so glad I did. I'm watching it with my mum and we are basically incapable of stopping after one episode. It's really well done, and manages to acknowledge the range of experiences that people have, the ways we all succeed and fail. I'd recommend it, regardless of whether you're studying French. We watch it with subtitles, because mum's French is limited (and my religious knowledge/vocabulary is limited, even in English).

That and memrise has been most of my French work this last week, which I suspect will be pretty much the case until the end of exams. I want to keep it ticking over, but in the list of priorities, it's not really high.
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:13 pm

MamaPata wrote:- Wrote: 1701 words - the Output Challenge is off to a good start! It definitely won't continue this well, but it's been nice to try and get in the habit of it. How do you guys decide what to write though?! I basically always end up writing book or film summaries, which is useful, but it's the same kind of thing every time! I always end up staring at the page, trying to figure out what to talk about

Wow, good job! I have the same problem of not knowing what to write about. In case you haven't found these before, there are some threads here that may help: rdearman compiled a list of writing prompts and arthaey had a daily prompt thread for a while, which has links to twitter feeds that are only writing prompts.
5 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 pm

:o The end of season 1 of Ainsi-soient ils was dramatic!!!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:51 pm

MamaPata wrote::o The end of season 1 of Ainsi-soient ils was dramatic!!!

I think I'm one who has recommended it repeatedly. It's good enough I'm watching it again (even if it ends in such a way that it was clearly meant to continue). Those characters are so true to life, too!
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:08 pm

Systematiker wrote:I think I'm one who has recommended it repeatedly. It's good enough I'm watching it again (even if it ends in such a way that it was clearly meant to continue). Those characters are so true to life, too!

Yes, I definitely saw it on your log! But it seemed to go round a few other people after that as well - you're a trend setter!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

David27
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:18 pm

I just saw the first episode of Ainsi soient ils after reading about the enthusiasm here and really liked it. Looking forward to having a good series to watch in French. Thanks for bringing it to the forums attention!
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:46 pm

I've had a few moments recently where I've realised how specific my vocab sets in other languages are. For one reason or another, I've always ended up talking politics in my French lessons and so I often find it easier to discuss the ins and outs of Brexit or reproductive rights, rather than having simple discussions. I'm not saying my politics chat is faultless, far from it, but it's understandable! (Recently I have had a Russian lesson around politics, but I tend not to bring it up and generally nor do my teachers).

I also recently sent a friend an article about HIV in Russia (from the BBC Russian service) and she replied saying that it had been a useful source of vocab. My Russian vocab is not as good as it should be and I often struggle reading, but I hadn't found the article difficult at all. And then yesterday, I was assigned an article about sexual revolutions and as I was adding some bits and pieces to my memrise course, I realised that it now includes multiple Russian words for debauchery. It also features thyroid, herpes, bigamy, brothel... Worse, I have come across some of these words in different places, so it's not like I've seen them once and never needed them again!

I've never been seeking to build particular vocab sets, but over time, you do realise what your language islands are. Apparently mine is sexual health/politics. Cool. :oops:

Anyway, last week's summary!

Russian
- Hours: 9 hours.
- Read: 33 pages of Harry Potter - I'm so nearly done with this and boy am I ready! Nothing else I have though is quite what I want to read...
- Wrote: 999 words - I kind of wish I'd managed to get just one more!
- Watched: Портрет в сумерках.
I have seen this before and seriously, all of the trigger warnings, but also, just watch it. It's painful and cruel and nasty, but it's incredibly well done, especially when you consider than the director and the main actress filmed it on their savings. I just think it's really well made and the acting and directing are incredible.
Language wise, I found it very hard to understand and there was a lot I missed, far more than I would say is average for me. Some of that was because the sound on my version was really low and crackly, but I think some of it is the text itself, as well as the voices.

French
- Hours: 3
- Watched: More Ainsi-soient ils. Dirk Gently and the Good Place dubs.
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:52 pm

BBC America Dirk Gently? We're watching the first season (which I hadn't even known about until last week) in English with Swedish subs. My partner also has the four books of Hitchhiker's Guide in Swedish, which is something I'd like to tackle this year.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Elenia wrote:BBC America Dirk Gently? We're watching the first season (which I hadn't even known about until last week) in English with Swedish subs. My partner also has the four books of Hitchhiker's Guide in Swedish, which is something I'd like to tackle this year.

Yes, that's the one! A friend of mine is really into it so I started watching it with her, in English. I was sitting there, trying to work out why the guy's voice sounded so familiar until it hit me. So I suddenly went "He's the little one from the History Boys!". Which would have been a lot more helpful had she seen the History Boys.

(Side note, if anyone is looking for Brit film recommendations, History Boys is definitely up there).

How are you enjoying it? I've never managed to get into the Hitchiker's Guide books, I don't really know why.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 pm

I don't really have much to report since last time - I ended up losing my memrise streak and it just led to a bit of a slump. However, I had a few skype lessons for Russian, general uni stuff, and I've been getting back into it the last few days.

I have finally finished Harry Potter 1 in Russian! Dances. This has taken me so long, just because I couldn't really get into it. But I can definitely see that my Russian is improving - I have to look up far fewer of the words now than I did when I started. It'll be nice to move on to something a bit more interesting. I might go back to Harry Potter at some point, but definitely not soon.

Filmwise, I watched Кококо, which is a sort of female buddy film. It's a comedy and sort of trying to mix arthouse/social interest with popular films. Largely, I think it worked very well. It touches on a lot of serious issues but only very vaguely, mostly just enjoying the comedy of this odd couple duo (both actresses are excellent). There's also a minor cameo with the guy from Портрет в сумерках which is very very funny. I always realise how many Russian films I've watched when I start seeing the same faces crop up again and again.

I also watched the Czech film The Cremator (1968). I didn't really like it, but I think it's a fascinating film in terms of cinema history and history more generally. I watched it with subtitles for obvious reasons, but it was interesting to note the similarities to Russian. I definitely couldn't have understood anything without the subtitles, but there's so much common vocabulary.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”